• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

35mqkg6.jpg

Ordered it Friday got here today have not had a chance to play with it yet but fully loaded it feels great, even came with a mini, very happy so far!

my rebel bag packed full ready for spring still in good shape after almost a full season of use.

heres a couple pictures i took for an ITB.

DSC_0004_zps16b1715e.jpg

DSC_0005_zps179b9116.jpg

New to disc golf (about a month). I've been using a Mountainsmith Daylight lumbar pack which is cool because I can just keep it on while I play and reach back for a disk. Not much room for anything else though. Plus my drinks sometimes fall out of the side pocket when I throw. I started looking for another bag, and being a hiker / backpacker started checking out backpack style bags. Didn't want something huge and wanted easy access to my frequently used disks. The Shift seems to fit the bill. Love the profile and layout. When I saw the special pricing I couldn't resist and ordered last night. Just received a notice that it shipped! Might have it in time for the weekend and I'm off next week. Hope I get the mini, couldn't get the code to work.

New to disc golf (about a month). I've been using a Mountainsmith Daylight lumbar pack which is cool because I can just keep it on while I play and reach back for a disk. Not much room for anything else though. Plus my drinks sometimes fall out of the side pocket when I throw. I started looking for another bag, and being a hiker / backpacker started checking out backpack style bags. Didn't want something huge and wanted easy access to my frequently used disks. The Shift seems to fit the bill. Love the profile and layout. When I saw the special pricing I couldn't resist and ordered last night. Just received a notice that it shipped! Might have it in time for the weekend and I'm off next week. Hope I get the mini, couldn't get the code to work.

Thanks for your order! I think you'll really love what the Shift has to offer. I underestimated the number of people who would use the code so sadly we blew through our stock of minis pretty quick and had to disable the coupon code. We have another order on the way. If you (or anyone else on this forum) still wants a mini, we will be listing them on our site as an individual product (likely with free shipping) and as an optional add-on when purchasing. Sorry to all those who did not get their mini :\

I can't recall...does the Shift hold a water bladder?

There is no dedicated pocket for the reservoir but with the amount of space on the inside it can hold one in the bottom or in one of the disc pockets. Then the hose can be routed through the top handle and attached to the shoulder with the Quantum Clip (magnetic clip included with our reservoirs). You could also put the reservoir into one of the outer mesh pockets but it would make the bag weight slightly uneven.

We are working on a few designs to bring a reservoir to the Shift in the future, but it would add some costs to the final selling price and we like where the price is now. :thmbup:

On the recommendation from Greg Barsby, I ordered a Rebel, and was hoping it would be here on Friday. Thanks to the quick order processing from UPD, it was actually shipped within an hour of placing the order! it's on the UPS truck headed to my house as we speak! woo hoo! Can't wait to use my new bag for this weekend's tourney! :)

Thanks for your order! I think you'll really love what the Shift has to offer. I underestimated the number of people who would use the code so sadly we blew through our stock of minis pretty quick and had to disable the coupon code. We have another order on the way. If you (or anyone else on this forum) still wants a mini, we will be listing them on our site as an individual product (likely with free shipping) and as an optional add-on when purchasing. Sorry to all those who did not get their mini :\

No problem. I'll keep an eye out for them. I can't believe I got the bag today. Ordered late Monday night, shipped Tuesday, and it made it all the way to Florida today. It's exactly what I wanted. :hfive: You can tell a lot of thought went into the design. Can't wait to get out with it.

For those of you who use the Shift, is there any way to attach your stool to it? Has anybody done any mods to add a stool/umbrella holder of any kind? That's the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on this bag!

There is no dedicated pocket for the reservoir but with the amount of space on the inside it can hold one in the bottom or in one of the disc pockets. Then the hose can be routed through the top handle and attached to the shoulder with the Quantum Clip (magnetic clip included with our reservoirs). You could also put the reservoir into one of the outer mesh pockets but it would make the bag weight slightly uneven.

We are working on a few designs to bring a reservoir to the Shift in the future, but it would add some costs to the final selling price and we like where the price is now. :thmbup:

Thanks for the quick response! The lack of two water bottle holders is the only drawback for me with this bag, so I will keep my eyes open for any changes in future runs.

I've had the Shift out a coupe times now and I absolutely love it. Having the disks I use most on the outside is really convenient. It sits up nicely, haven't had it fall over, and the handle on top makes it easy to pick up and go. No bending all the way over to pick it up like a standard bag. I like to carry two water bottles, but the holder can carry a large bottle. I just leave a second bottle in a cooler in the car and swap the second time around. On small walks I just throw one strap over my shoulder, using both straps on longer treks. It's very comfortable to carry either way. So far I'd give it 5 stars.

I'm tempted to pick up a dedicated disc golf backpack, but at the moment I'm finding it really hard to justify the $100-150 cost. For the number of discs and accessories I bring to courses, the Shift would be ideal. For those of you who made the transition, how is a disc golf backpack superior to a regular pack, sling bag, etc.?

I currently stuff everything into an old Timbuk2 messenger bag that I no longer use for its original purpose. It holds about 15 discs, or 7-8 with a water bottle and warm layers.

For those of you who made the transition, how is a disc golf backpack superior to a regular pack, sling bag, etc.?

I recently switched to the Shift from a traditional style bag and I prefer the backpack so much I will never use a regular bag again. The main thing for me (as I am old and wussy) is that it is so much easier on my body than my old bag - it picks up and slips on so easily, and even when fully loaded with discs and gear it feels so comfortable and lightweight. Everything about it just works, it is well designed and makes playing a round much more enjoyable.

It has surprised me how much of a difference it has made as far as my enjoyment of the game is concerned. I suspected it would be an upgrade for me but I did not think I would be as completely satisfied as I am. If I had it to do all over again I would get the Shift bag again no question about it.

Loving my Shift more and more every time I use it. I busted out my winter rig the other day for some snow rounds (plasti-dipped crunch box w/ quad straps) and instantly missed the carrying comfort of the backpack. I also keep finding new/better ways to use it.

I'm not a big fan of using the hip pockets for cell phone storage due to safety concerns, and I use Udisc to track most rounds so I like my phone relatively handy. I just got an iphone 6 and it fits perfectly in the mini pocket up top! I keep a mini in my pocket while playing so the pocket went mostly unused before. I guess UPD was just ahead of the curve.

For those of you who use the Shift, is there any way to attach your stool to it? Has anybody done any mods to add a stool/umbrella holder of any kind? That's the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on this bag!

This is one of my winter projects. The easiest way I've found so far is to just run a NiteIze gear tie through a daisy loop on the top handle and wrap around the stool. This is far from perfect as there is nothing hooking stool to bag at the bottom, and the method won't work at all for holding an open upbrella, but it sure beats carrying/forgetting one more thing.

Thanks for the quick response! The lack of two water bottle holders is the only drawback for me with this bag, so I will keep my eyes open for any changes in future runs.

I almost always carry 2 full nalgenes of water in the summertime, and the Shift carries them with ease. True that only one holder is on the outside and readily available, but there is plenty of storage space for a 2nd or 3rd water.

I'm tempted to pick up a dedicated disc golf backpack, but at the moment I'm finding it really hard to justify the $100-150 cost. For the number of discs and accessories I bring to courses, the Shift would be ideal. For those of you who made the transition, how is a disc golf backpack superior to a regular pack, sling bag, etc.?

I currently stuff everything into an old Timbuk2 messenger bag that I no longer use for its original purpose. It holds about 15 discs, or 7-8 with a water bottle and warm layers.

i think the majority backpack owners wish they got their backpack earlier (regardless of brand/model). I know I did. I tried doing things like backsavers ect, but once you get more than 10 discs it gets so cumbersome.

trust me you'll save a lot of money and your body in the long run with a proper DG backpack. if you get one sooner rather than going through the stages of DG bag purchases (starter, larger bag, larger bag + shoulder straps/back pack).

the UPD backpacks are the most comfortable of the brands. its just like wearing a regular osprey or north face backpack.

I recently switched to the Shift from a traditional style bag and I prefer the backpack so much I will never use a regular bag again. The main thing for me (as I am old and wussy) is that it is so much easier on my body than my old bag - it picks up and slips on so easily, and even when fully loaded with discs and gear it feels so comfortable and lightweight. Everything about it just works, it is well designed and makes playing a round much more enjoyable.

It has surprised me how much of a difference it has made as far as my enjoyment of the game is concerned. I suspected it would be an upgrade for me but I did not think I would be as completely satisfied as I am. If I had it to do all over again I would get the Shift bag again no question about it.

If not the Shift, I'd encourage people to adopt using a backpack over the traditional bag. It really is a night and day difference, having the weight tight up against your back and evenly distributed, rather than hanging off and pulling away from you. It's especially apparent with more discs, extra fluids, etc. The old duffel bag with straps method is functional, but not nearly as comfortable or efficient. It's sort of like comparing a modern bicycle to the old school, big wheel boneshaker bicycles--they'll both get you from point a to b, but one is clearly a better design.

That being said, while any backpack style bag will be an improvement over a traditional one, you'd be hard pressed to find one that's more comfortable than the Shift.

The Shift is superior in several ways. Instead of stuffing your discs in a bag, they are nicely organized with internal and external pockets. You can keep at least 8 of your most used discs right on outside. It's much easier to pick up a backpack that stands like the Shift. A backpack is easier to carry and much more comfortable than a traditional bag. I thought the dedicated disc BP's were ridiculously expensive as well. When I saw the Shift discounted to $109 I couldn't resist.