• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

Thanks for this. I've been thinking about the Shift for a while now as an upgrade to my soldier bag. Your comment + the coupon code helped make my decision. Cheers!

You won't be disappointed in the shift.

I thought it was different but you might be correct that it's just minor stuff. I thought the bottom was changed. Interested in that I guess.

Me too now. I'd definitely like to know what they improved.

Thanks for this. I've been thinking about the Shift for a while now as an upgrade to my soldier bag. Your comment + the coupon code helped make my decision. Cheers!

Good to hear! Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it. Keep the front facing downhill so it doesn't fall over (although, if they changed the bottom, I wonder how this is affected).
I keep 2 mids in each inner side pocket. 2-3 mids/fairways in the outer side pockets. 3 putters in top center pocket. 3 distance drivers in the middle and 3 distance drivers in bottom center pockets. There are also pockets on the inside behind the side pockets (inside the storage compartment [behind the water bottle pocket]). But, some complained of those pockets warping discs. I just ignore those inner pockets as I didn't even know existed until someone mentioned the warping and I looked to see if there actually were pockets there. The website claims 16-18 discs total but it is more like 17-19. Unless you got the slight Shift, which are just Shifts that they screwed up manufacturing and the middle pockets aren't evenly distributed. So you might have room for one less disc in those. Or, it might just be 3-2-4 distribution in the center.

I thought the little fanny pack style pockets looked stupid when I bought it but they are EXTREMELY convenient for phone and keys and am very happy they are there.

The bag as a whole is just 1000 times more comfortable on the back and feels more natural than the backpack straps and box style of the soldier. It feels like you are wearing a backpack. With boxy bags, like the soldier, I always wondered if I should wear it bouncing off my ass or higher on the back. I'd wear higher on the back but the straps wouldn't tighten far enough for that completely.

It's amazing how padded and comfortable the back of the bag is and the straps themselves. Plus, as I've said in other posts, the bag uses both vertical and horizontal space to be as compact as possible.

Worth the money for sure.

Last edited:
I think they just improved the quality of the bottom material. Nothing with stability. Too lazy to check.

It's not a review video but here is an unboxing of my new Rebel in the Mykonos Blue/Hawaiian Ocean. I agree with you the1discChallenge, the colors on this really pop. That is one thing that has not changed since the original rebel bags. If anything the addition of the colored zippers has made it pop even more.

https://youtu.be/5Lb-6wiUnHg

I still plan on getting a comparison video of all three versions of the Rebel in the next week or two. It just depends on when i can get together with my buddy who has the v2.

Sorry it took so long but we finally were able to get all three versions of the Rebel side by side. Here is the link to the video. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/CY1QOT427Dg

Just took my shift out for its maiden voyage. Couldn't be more happy with it. Great value, very comfortable, and carries very well. My only complaint is that it's not made for tall people, to have the waist pack ride correctly I have to have the straps let out so much the chest strap is very high, but all backpacks are like this for me.

Worth every cent as far as I'm concerned

But, some complained of those pockets warping discs. I just ignore those inner pockets as I didn't even know existed until someone mentioned the warping and I looked to see if there actually were pockets there. The website claims 16-18 discs total but it is more like 17-19. Unless you got the slight Shift, which are just Shifts that they screwed up manufacturing and the middle pockets aren't evenly distributed. So you might have room for one less disc in those. Or, it might just be 3-2-4 distribution in the center.

I used the inner pockets for my utility discs (X1, Felon, Hornet) for a few months before hearing claims of warping. My 750 X1 was the only one with any warping and it was very, very minor.

My Slight Shift fully loaded has 20 discs and I have had it up to 22. The inner side pockets and outer side pockets have incredible stretch, so you can get 3 discs in each easily. I carry 6 fairways/mids on my left side outer pockets and 5 putters on my right side outer pockets so I can easily grab a putter while walking and wearing the bag. Great utilitarian design.

I am thinking I have to get myself a new Shift when I get back to the states, or maybe order it now and have it waiting for me when I get home. I currently use a Voodoo JuJu and I have been on the fence for a long time about getting a backpack bag. After reading this thread I feel I will be more than satisfied with a Shift for my needs, especially with the included rainfly, a must for golfing in the Pac NW. Just want to say "Thanks!" to everyone who commented and reviewed here, it really helped me make my decision.

I am thinking I have to get myself a new Shift when I get back to the states, or maybe order it now and have it waiting for me when I get home. I currently use a Voodoo JuJu and I have been on the fence for a long time about getting a backpack bag. After reading this thread I feel I will be more than satisfied with a Shift for my needs, especially with the included rainfly, a must for golfing in the Pac NW. Just want to say "Thanks!" to everyone who commented and reviewed here, it really helped me make my decision.

I went from a Juju to a Shift, and I have used the Juju all of one time since purchasing the Shift. It's an excellent step up.

I love my Shift. It holds far more discs than people think. It has limited storage, but I actually have more than enough room for anything I personally need. Played my first full day tournament with my Shift yesterday and it performed amazingly well.

If you decided to order a UPD bag, enter the code: BigCountry-infantry when you check out. It will save you ten percent.

If you decided to order a UPD bag, enter the code: BigCountry-infantry when you check out. It will save you ten percent.

And, not so coincidentally, net AndyJB a sales commission from Upper Park Designs.

Pretty sketchy not to mention that, especially when other Infanty Squad members who've posted in the thread and are equally, if not more, deserving of a commission have intentionally refrained from posting their codes, so why don't we all agree to keep this thread a personal-financial-interest-free zone?

[Full disclosure: I am NOT an Infantry Squad member, and have no interest in becoming one.]

why don't we all agree to keep this thread a personal-financial-interest-free zone?

I agree with this. It hasn't been in our contract terms to specifically refrain from posting codes here, but it will be now. I want to keep this a natural and unbiased place to discuss our products, not advertise them.

I agree with this. It hasn't been in our contract terms to specifically refrain from posting codes here, but it will be now. I want to keep this a natural and unbiased place to discuss our products, not advertise them.

UPD >>>>>>>>>>>>>Falient

:clap::clap::clap:

I pulled the trigger on a Rebel, and the site sent me a fed ex tracking code this evening, but it hasn't actually loaded to the fedex site yet. Any idea how long that usually takes, and how long the ground shipping usually runs?

@MikeM Thank you for all the info! Appreciate your time and advice!

:thmbup::thmbup: No problem!

I used the inner pockets for my utility discs (X1, Felon, Hornet) for a few months before hearing claims of warping. My 750 X1 was the only one with any warping and it was very, very minor.

My Slight Shift fully loaded has 20 discs and I have had it up to 22. The inner side pockets and outer side pockets have incredible stretch, so you can get 3 discs in each easily. I carry 6 fairways/mids on my left side outer pockets and 5 putters on my right side outer pockets so I can easily grab a putter while walking and wearing the bag. Great utilitarian design.

Yeah, this is true, I still baby the heck out of mine but I can fit 3 putters and 1 distance driver in the middle top pocket. I do that frequently with no issue. So I'm running 20 currently with 5 on both sides and 10 total in the middle pockets. It just becomes a little tricky getting discs in and out quickly from that middle top pocket because there are 4 in there and I take my putters in and out all of the time. But I've perfected that by keeping the distance driver behind the 3 putters. And so everything moves in and out easy. If I wanted to, like you said, I could get 6 on each side for a total of 22. And, quite frankly, there is plenty of space to do that, as you said. But again, I am still treating it like it is new, and don't want to stretch those elastic straps, built in to the top of those 4 side pockets, out permanently. But, give it a few months, and I'll probably give up on that, and run 22 constantly. The elastic seems sturdy and can handle the stress well.

Last edited:
. . . . . If I wanted to, like you said, I could get 6 on each side for a total of 22. And, quite frankly, there is plenty of space to do that, as you said. But again, I am still treating it like it is new, and don't want to stretch those elastic straps, built in to the top of those 4 side pockets, out permanently. But, give it a few months, and I'll probably give up on that, and run 22 constantly. The elastic seems sturdy and can handle the stress well.

You (and others here) are madmen lol. I fit 8 drivers total on the outside since I'm not comfortable putting thicker discs in those elastic side pockets, 3 up top, and 2+2 on the middle and bottom center pockets. 15 for me and I'm nervous to add any others.

YMMV and all that...

You (and others here) are madmen lol. I fit 8 drivers total on the outside since I'm not comfortable putting thicker discs in those elastic side pockets, 3 up top, and 2+2 on the middle and bottom center pockets. 15 for me and I'm nervous to add any others.

YMMV and all that...

Obviously, don't over stuff your bag if you're not comfortable, but I have 10 in the outsides. Three drivers in the outside pockets and two on the inside. All of my mids and putters are in the main compartment (3 putters up top, 2 mids and a utility in the bottom, and two mids in the middle) for a grand total of 18. It's a little snug in the outsides, but it'll loosen up over time.

Latest posts