• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

1) What torso size range will the shift accommodate? Can someone provide a vertical measurement of the back panel (from where the shoulder straps attach at the top to the bottom of the back panel)?

I found measurements listed for the Shift on the UPD site, so that answers that question. :)

Height/Width (minus waist pockets)/Depth - 19"/13"/11"

I don't know if it's the height of the water bottle pocket, or the way it's attached, but I really don't notice a difference between a full nalgene and an empty one.

It's the way it's attached to the bag and the fact it's centered! The weight is perfectly distributed through the shoulder straps, side pocket elastic, and the base of the bag. Despite what people may think when they see it, it really is crazy how well it works. I'll admit, it's even better than we originally thought it would be. :hfive:

Ordered my Shift last night. Now I need to decide which lineup to put in it....

Same here. I know I could cut down several discs right away, but figuring out if I want to go more distance driver heavy or keep a large control lineup will be fun to figure out.

18 is easy to fit, 20 is doable. You won't have to cut down too much.

I don't want to cram it too much. Plus, I carry 21 right now, and it's a few too many discs. Without feeling like its overfilled, I should be able to get everything I need in there.

Got my shift last night. Very impressed with the bag, and it's everything I was hoping for.

I'm able to fit everything I need in it. 17 discs (carrying 2 in the inside pockets - a backup ddx and an extra putting judge) very comfortably. I feel like I could get a couple more in there, but I just don't need to. The bottom storage is actually really good. Rainfly (which looks easy enough to use), 2 towels, birdie bag, rulebook, and a bit of extra space if I wanted to carry some snacks around. I think in a pinch, I could easily get a long sleeve shirt in there with that stuff, or with some pre-planning and good packing, a lightweight hooded sweatshirt. All of the stuff from my valuables pocket in my gripEQ bag fit in one of the side pouches without issues. The other side pouch fit my phone, wallet, and keys without issues (I will say that my wallet and keys are minimalist and don't take up much room, but it's perfect for me)

The balance and carrying weight of the bag is significantly lighter than the gripEQ (we're talking original L-Frame) Often even during a single round I feel a bit fatigued carrying the grip, but the weight difference is significant enough where I was still pretty fresh at the end of the round. Having the water bottle holder where it is turned out to be a brilliant idea, very balanced and you don't notice the weight of it. I am going to grab a 40 oz hydroflask to carry with me, and I don't think I'll notice the weight or feel any difference compared to the 32 oz camelbak I am using right now. There seems to easily be enough room to carry the bigger bottle, so that's not a concern either.

Overall impressions are that this is a very, very good bag. I don't see any significant problems with it so far. I'll be very interested to see how the mesh-like materials on the outer pockets hold up over time, but that's my only real concern. I firmly believe that Upper Park has a real winner on their hands with the Shift, and if the other bags are just as ergonomically sound and balanced, the whole lineup gets my approval :thmbup:

Last edited:
VictorB - I think your going to like your Shift. I can't say enough good things about mine. I'm holding 19 discs in mine and I don't see any issues.

@KelReeves - already in love with it.

Yesterday I noticed, after one day of discs stored in it, that I had some warping starting on the DDx that I had put in the inside pocket. Nothing on the judge on the other side, so maybe it's more of an issue with distance drivers. It really wasn't a lot of warping, but since I heard that it was possible I checked. Sat it on the front porch in the sun for a bit and it flattened out. I will be taking out the discs from the inside. They all fit in the regular pockets so not a big deal. The only real change to how the discs are in there is that I have 3 in the middle pocket in vertical storage, and 3 in one of the outside pockets. More room for snacks inside now, for when our new, championship level course opens up this summer :)

@KelReeves - already in love with it.

Yesterday I noticed, after one day of discs stored in it, that I had some warping starting on the DDx that I had put in the inside pocket. Nothing on the judge on the other side, so maybe it's more of an issue with distance drivers. It really wasn't a lot of warping, but since I heard that it was possible I checked. Sat it on the front porch in the sun for a bit and it flattened out. I will be taking out the discs from the inside. They all fit in the regular pockets so not a big deal. The only real change to how the discs are in there is that I have 3 in the middle pocket in vertical storage, and 3 in one of the outside pockets. More room for snacks inside now, for when our new, championship level course opens up this summer :)

I used the inside pockets for a while when I stuffed 20 in there, but after about a month, I did see some warpage. However, with four putters on the right outside, four mids on the left outside, and 8 vertical, I feel I can cover just about any shot I need without any gaps and the bag isn't stuffed at all. Moreover, zero warping. When needed, I can always get a couple 2-3 extra in as well using the outside pockets used for mids. The elastic used for those outside pockets stretches out to hold a surprising amount, and I haven't had any issues with it becoming loose after cramming 6 discs in per side.

The Shift was waiting for me at home last night. I love the Charcoal/Lime. I made a last minute audible, switching to that color from the blue. I think I made the right choice.

I didn't have time to get to the course with it, but I did load it up and try it on. I was looking forward to having the sternum and waist straps, but I think they are not going to be very useful for me. No matter how I had the straps adjusted, both were way too high on me. However, given how light the bag feels, they're really not necessary.

I think 16 is the magic number for discs. I could get creative and squeeze a few more in if I really wanted, but 2 in each side pouch and 3-2-3 in the verticals seems to be the most comfortable fit. If I put in less than 16 (as with my current Legacy lineup), I need to fill it from the bottom up to keep it from being too top-heavy. It seems to want to tip forward with discs in the vertical but not on the sides.

I think you should do an all Lightning bag.

I still haven't decided what's going in, but this is certainly not the answer. I could rotate through my Discraft, Legacy, MVP/Axiom, and Vibram lineups as I think all would fit reasonably well.

I may also just trim down my primary lineup, pulling the discs that rarely get used on my home course, and use this as my club night bag.

If I put in less than 16 (as with my current Legacy lineup), I need to fill it from the bottom up to keep it from being too top-heavy. It seems to want to tip forward with discs in the vertical but not on the sides.

You will also be surprised how much added stability the bag has with a 32-40oz water bottle. Mine will be a little questionable on hills without a drink, but is quite solid when loaded up.

I have a focus and really like it for travel. It fits really well in my carry-on suitcase with everything else I need for a 2-3 day work trip. For local play and tournaments i prefer my cart or my grip.

You will also be surprised how much added stability the bag has with a 32-40oz water bottle. Mine will be a little questionable on hills without a drink, but is quite solid when loaded up.

That's a good point. I had a small, empty bottle in it last night.

I picked up a new Shift v.4 a couple of weeks ago and am thoroughly happy with it. I bag 16 discs which, I think should be an optimal number for just about any recreational player. Here's my breakdown on the pros/cons:

Pros
- Lightweight, feels great on your back, hardly notice it's there all loaded up with 16 discs and a 32 oz. water bottle (I can't say enough about how comfortably it sits on my back.)
- Quality build
- Stands upright well, as some others have noted, a full water bottle definitely aids stability but still, even without, it stands well
- Discs are all easy to access and rest securely in place
- Decent storage space
- Sternum strap can be helpful (I will do away with the waist straps, not needed in my opinion)

Cons (I only have one)
- Storage space organization - while you can fit a lot of things into the storage space such as: lightweight fleece, additional water bottle, power bars, knife, sun block, repellent and bunch of other smaller items, everything just sort of floats around in a large space. It's not really a big deal but when you have the zip up flap tucked in there, you kind of have to root around to find smaller items. Things such as wallet and keys easily fit into the waist pockets. I tend to keep my cell phone in my back pocket as I use it for scoring but you could fit into the waist pockets as well.

Here's a picture: https://brnomelater.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/55402f2ca13241a4f66626d2f23568b98953195e7607b9a50apimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

lt is a great bag. I moved over to the Shift from a Fade Gear Crunch Box, which I also really like. If you can get by with 16 discs and two 32 oz bottles of water, a lightweight fleece and a load of smaller items, this bag will suit you well.

Rebel V3

Just got a Rebel V3 (newest version) and have played a few rounds with it.

I decided on this bag because I was looking for something lightweight, comfortable, and efficient. I did not want one of the massive bags you can put an apartment in. I am a family man and play a few times a month.

The bag checks all my boxes. It is far and away the best bag I've put on my back. Before I bought this I tried on Grip, Latitude, and some others. Have not run across anyone with an LB bag. This bag IMO is far more comfortable and ergonomically designed than the others I tried.

Mini pocket is convenient for sure, but I'm a back pocket mini kind of guy.

The bag looks great.

The vertical storage is just what my lazy ass ordered. I don't stay super organized during a round. Before a tournament I may organize my bag, but during play I always resort back to stuffing my discs in my top loader Innova without paying much attention. I like the vertical storage for that exact reason. I have a few key discs, including my putters that stay in the same pocket all the time.

ONE CON (IMO)

The website says they made some improvements to the vertical storage spacing so it does not interfere with the bottom compartment. I think UP should continue tweaking this feature till it is perfect, because right now, it is not.

There are 3 vertical storage pockets. Starting from the top I have 2 putters, then 3 mids, then nothing.

I started with my 2 go to Destroyers in the bottom pocket, but the spacing between this pocket and the bottom compartment is not sufficient. It caused some resistance pulling out discs from the main compartment and also pulling in and out my destroyers. Because of the insufficient spacing I had to use 2 hands to hold the pocket tight/outward (pinching the material with my thumb and finder) while placing the disc in with my other hand. This is because if you just push the disc in the material wants to go with it and you kind of have this wrinkled half pocket as a result.

If you look at the pic on the website of the New Rebel I can tell you that set up would be cumbersome and you would have some resistance with pulling discs in and out.

This bag has 2 rounds on it, so maybe everything will break in and the problem will get better. I like to throw putters, so I keep 3 (non putting) wizards in my bag, which of course takes up lots of space. I did have to remove a few discs (that I never used) from my bag and expected to do so, so no biggie. I started putting just my main destroyer in the bottom pocket toward the end of my last round and it came in and out pretty easy.

I think UPD needs to make the entire bag a couple inches taller then shift the vertical storage up a couple inches so there is 0 interference with the main compartment. They could then add some type of wire/support system inside of the fabric of the vertical storage so the pocket holds firm when you put/pull discs in and out and there is no fabric compression. With those updates, this bag would be PERFECT.

SUMMARY

I wanted to put this review out here because the Shift seems to be the talking point, but that bag does not meet my capacity needs and I think the Rebel is more comfortable.

My criticism of the vertical storage is long winded, but is really minor. Some who own this same bag may think I'm crazy. If it was a big deal I would of returned it. It's not perfect, but I do still HIGHLY RECCOMEND the bag.

Does anyone own a V3, and do you notice any issues as I describe? Does the bag break in a bit age like a fine wine?

Thanks

I've carried my shift for almost a week now (playing daily at this point of the year) and there isn't much I can say that hasn't been said already. Still carries great, fits everything I need, and I don't feel short of discs at the course at all. Carry weight is the biggest difference for me. Fatigue factors into my rounds a lot less. Going to have a big test at the Mid America Open, as we're opening up a new championship level course that's going to be ~68 par. That will make for long rounds, so fitting everything I would need for a 4+ hour round will be a test I'm sure.

What would you need? I find the shift to be more than enough for long rounds.

I can get 16-17 discs depending on how many mids I carry. The bottom storage is perfect as well. I suppose extra drinks could be an issue tho.