• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

I had 15 discs, with a golden retriever, my wife's phone, a 32 oz. PowerAde, 2 12 oz. water bottles, and a towel stuffed in the bottom the other day. I keep 3 more towels and sunglasses on carabineers on the sides and use the strap storage for me keys. Unless you have a smaller phone, there's not great spot for it. I had my wife's stuck between 2 utility/backup discs in the bottom. I could have easily fit 4 more drivers in the side pockets though. This bag is awesome.

Not to go into much more detail, but right now we're just trying to continue growing our name. Every day I hear people say, "What bag is that?" "Who is Upper Park?" And that's tough to hear. I'd put my bags head to head with any other bags on the market (especially with the new expanded pockets on the v4 Rebel) but if I'm still not a common name throughout the industry then I'm going to keep losing to the bigger guys. And I don't like losing to the big guys.

Hope that answers something. I'm here if you have any other questions!

-Jon
I have a small suggestion based on something random I noticed the other day. I own a V1 Focus and V2 Shift and I love them both. One thing that jumped out to me is that when I'm actually playing a round with my Shift (which is my day-in, day-out bag) with the flap tucked in to get to the main pocket, there is no UP branding visible to any casual observer. The Focus and the Rebel don't have this problem (if it even is a problem). Now, don't get me wrong, I don't want you guys to go the way of Nike and brand the living hell out of every square inch of the bag, or make the logo the focus of the bag (cough, GRIP, cough), but it might not hurt to get the logo a little more visible on what I feel is you 'best fit' bag for the majority of the recreation player market.

I have a small suggestion based on something random I noticed the other day. I own a V1 Focus and V2 Shift and I love them both. One thing that jumped out to me is that when I'm actually playing a round with my Shift (which is my day-in, day-out bag) with the flap tucked in to get to the main pocket, there is no UP branding visible to any casual observer. The Focus and the Rebel don't have this problem (if it even is a problem). Now, don't get me wrong, I don't want you guys to go the way of Nike and brand the living hell out of every square inch of the bag, or make the logo the focus of the bag (cough, GRIP, cough), but it might not hurt to get the logo a little more visible on what I feel is you 'best fit' bag for the majority of the recreation player market.

My V3 Shift has the logo on the left shoulder strap. Small logo and no name, but it gets the job done.

Apparently McCabe isn't a huge dude judging by the pic, but at least it's some point of reference on the size of the bag.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160813-132819.jpg
    Screenshot_20160813-132819.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 137
That's helpful! Eric is smaller than me but if it looks big on him, it probably wouldn't look like I'm wearing my daughters my little pony backpack.

I have very mixed emotions about my current bag. It's held up well and does what I need it to, but it feels clunky and holds so much I'll often overpack.

My V3 Shift has the logo on the left shoulder strap. Small logo and no name, but it gets the job done.

Yeah, it's there...but the fact that I hadn't noticed it in well over a month owning the bag makes me think there's a better spot for it...like the drink holder, possibly? I have the main flap tucked in all the time too so that logo doesn't exist to the outside observer.

the drink holder, possibly? I have the main flap tucked in all the time too so that logo doesn't exist to the outside observer.

We like minimal branding! Sometimes too much so. Similar to the lower logo on the front of the Rebel, the water bottle pocket on the Shift will be getting a logo at some point. Maybe this year.. maybe next.

We like minimal branding! Sometimes too much so. Similar to the lower logo on the front of the Rebel, the water bottle pocket on the Shift will be getting a logo at some point. Maybe this year.. maybe next.

Good idea, but that's also the only place you can really put a patch on a shift, so my guess is many of those embroidered logos on the drink holder will get covered up.

I leave my top semi-zipped. It still allows me easy access to my putter in the top quiver, and I keep my 8 most commonly used molds in the outer pockets. If I need to reach down for a backup or alternate it's an easy grab from the bag. This keeps the flap up and the logo visible (there is still nowhere to put the flap - probably my only minor "gripe" with the bag) and the lined pocket stays usable for my cell phone.

I like being the only guy with a cool indie bag in a sea of Rangers and Commanders and Grips. I'm the only guy in my circle that owns a UPD, and I constantly get questions and people wanting to try it out. Two guys are planning on buying a Shift later this year because of it.

You're doing it the right way Jon - build demand. Make a bag that is so great that random people approach owners and express interest in learning about the brand.... that goes a lot farther than obnoxious, over the top branding and logo placement *cough* Grip *cough* :D

When I got my shift a year ago, I hadn't seen anyone on the course with an UPD bag. First time out I got at least 2 people asking me about it. This summer I've now seen at least 2 Shifts and a Focus in the wild. Also saw a Rebel and Focus at a local shop. First time I've seen them locally for sale, so definitely growth here.

I leave my top semi-zipped. It still allows me easy access to my putter in the top quiver, and I keep my 8 most commonly used molds in the outer pockets. If I need to reach down for a backup or alternate it's an easy grab from the bag.

I like this setup. Right now, I'm relearning my form, so I'm keeping the few discs I'm throwing on the outside. I think I'll move to your setup when I increase my disc number.

I'm thinking about picking up a Shift. I've been using a Discmania Grip bag for a couple years now. My only issue with it is that it really isn't that comfortable on my back. I'm 6'1 and thin. The Grip seems like it was built for someone with wider shoulders. Anyone here used a standard Grip and a Shift and can compare the two as far as which one feels tighter on your back?

I'm thinking about picking up a Shift. I've been using a Discmania Grip bag for a couple years now. My only issue with it is that it really isn't that comfortable on my back. I'm 6'1 and thin. The Grip seems like it was built for someone with wider shoulders. Anyone here used a standard Grip and a Shift and can compare the two as far as which one feels tighter on your back?

I'm quite a bit shorter than you at 5'6", and have wide shoulders for my height. I didn't find the Grip L-Frame nearly as comfortable as the Shift. The weight distribution on the Grip always made it feel bulky and cumbersome. I think how it's distributed on the Shift makes the weight feel more 'pulled in' on your back.

I'm 6'-even, 200lbs with broad shoulders. While not quite the same physique, I can say the the weight and distribution of the Shift is far and away better than Grip bags. However, the Grip will also offer much better storage. I can carry all the discs I want in the Shift, but beyond a couple towels, bug spray, a small first-aid baggy and if I really stuff it in, a light windbreaker, the bottom compartment on the Shift doesn't offer much storage. If you're used to a Grip, you might want to check out a UPD Rebel. I'm looking to upgrade from the Shift to the Rebel by next spring for the ability to carry extra supplies during tournaments.

For day-to-day rounds and leagues, though, the Shift is my perfect bag. I've never felt anything as light, comfortable, or with such an ergonomic setup - and I've tried out every bag besides Pound and Mahals.

It's funny how different everyone is. I'm also 6' 1" and skinny with narrow shoulders. My Grip A-series feels like it was molded for my back. It's really that comfortable to me, and far and away more comfortable than any of the other large bags, especially concerning strap width. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My fiancé's Shift though, is also very comfortable, but it's different. It's a lighter bag to start with, and you're likely to be carrying less weight just due to size and storage differences. I'll have to look at them again to compare the strap spacing. Can't recall off the top of my head, but the Shift's may be a tad closer together.

I'm looking to upgrade from the Shift to the Rebel by next spring for the ability to carry extra supplies during tournaments.

For day-to-day rounds and leagues, though, the Shift is my perfect bag. I've never felt anything as light, comfortable, or with such an ergonomic setup - and I've tried out every bag besides Pound and Mahals.

I only carry 17 discs in my Grip and could go down to 16 for a Shift. I like to stay light. I was hoping to hear from someone that's tried a lot of different bags. :hfive:

I like this setup. Right now, I'm relearning my form, so I'm keeping the few discs I'm throwing on the outside. I think I'll move to your setup when I increase my disc number.

I find it is a lot easier to pick my discs when I keep my primary throwers in the open. Keeps me from reaching for that Underworld or Sorcerer, when I really need to just throw the damn Bard or Warship!! :D

I only carry 17 discs in my Grip and could go down to 16 for a Shift. I like to stay light. I was hoping to hear from someone that's tried a lot of different bags. :hfive:

The newest version of the Shift is simply amazing. They way the disc storage has been elevated really opens up the whole bottom of the bag. I can carry my 40oz in the drink holder, either a second 22oz or 3-4 beers plus snacks, dirtbag, towels, bugspray first aid kit in the bottom of the bag. Rainfly stores in one side pocket. Keys/wallet go in the other. Phone goes in front felt pocket, and my mini & vape go in the stash pocket up top.

Oh, and that's with 17 discs in the bag.

I honestly don't know what else I'd need to carry for a round of golf! :confused:

When I was shopping for a bag I tried a Grip AX15 and B15, Lat64 Lux E2, DD Ranger, UPD Rebel (owned it for several months), and UPD Shift (new model, this is my current bag).

FWIW, I am 5'10" with broad shoulders. In terms of pure comfort, for me, I would rank them as follows:

Shift>>>B15>Rebel>AX15>LuxE2>Ranger.

The Rebel, which I used for several months and really liked, was the most comfortable of the "full-sized" backpacks (20+ discs). But it was a bit more than I needed, so I recently traded for a new Shift, and absolutely love it. It forced me to prune my discs a bit, but that was a good thing; I was carrying more than I needed (I probably still am, but it's not as egregious). It is amazingly light and comfortable. And the bottom compartment holds a surprising amount of stuff, although of course not as much as a full-sized backpack.

I don't play tourneys, so day-long storage isn't really an issue for me. If it was, I wouldn't have any problem going back to the Rebel; it's comfortable, but not nearly as effortless as the Shift. So, since I wanted to limit myself to 15-16 discs anyway, my choice was made almost purely for ergonomic reasons. (By the way, you wouldn't need to go down to 16 discs; 17 will fit quite easily in the Shift with some thoughtful organizing, without even stretching the outside pockets.)

I love my shift! I throw all pink and blue discs only because they are the easiest to find when looking through the woods so naturally I got the blue Shift but I added some pink zipper pulls and replaced the center draw string with pink paracord.

This is just pretty. :thmbup: :D

Shift users......how big is that front zippered pocket? Enough to hold a large smartphone and a wallet?