• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

Could we expect another UPD Black Friday Special this year? Would love to pick up a Shift finally! (been looking at one for 8 months, just hoping to bring it into my price range lol)

Thanks for sharing the link! It was interesting to hear how it all started, hear Jon's thoughts about running his business etc.

I've had my eyes on a Shift for a pretty long time but earlier this year got a chance to get a second hand A-series Grip for a good price and went for it. However, as I was anticipating prior to acquiring it, it might be a bit too big for my needs. The smaller Grip bags weren't an option as living in Finland means having four distinct seasons and a need to often carry extra clothing.
Now, I usually carry 10-15 discs with me and the Grip feels like it's a bit too much. I do appreciate the storage it offers, it's well made and is comfortable to carry but I would be happy with something smaller. Now my eyes are back on the Shift and I did some extensive reading on this thread and it looks like it would be a much better fit for my needs. It has the ability to carry enough discs but in a versatile way so that if I need less than what it can hold, they have their place and won't be swinging around in the bag like they would in a compartment that doesn't have a divider/isn't fully packed. From what I've been reading, the compartment inside would be big enough for an extra layer and some extra beverages, that would be perfect. I imagine you can get a bit of extra space there if you're not using the lowermost pocket in the vertical disc compartment?
Also, the bag being small and apparently light and very comfortable are key factors. If someone thinks there isn't a big difference between an A Grip and the Shift, please let me know ;) Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I really enjoy the design and how the bag isn't screaming the manufacturer's name!

They do seem like quality bags and I've got a very positive image about the company reading people's comments here about their experiences with the bag(s) as well as dealing with the company itself. Customer service seems to be strong! :thmbup:
And it certainly makes a difference to have Jon here on the thread to take care of us :) I appreciate it!

Now I just need to get the bag from somewhere. As far as I know, there's only one store selling them in the whole country (my local shop only has Rebels for some reason, I inquired about the possibility of having other models as well) and they're out of stock at the moment. Hoping they will get a restock with the latest version or if there are some good offers on black friday on the UPD site I might consider ordering straight from them.

Thanks to everyone who have contributed to this thread! :thmbup:

I've got an A-series and will be ordering a Shift as a complement to it. Since I got the Shift for my fiancé, I've been really impressed with it.
I'll keep the A-series for certain courses, but the Shift is significantly lighter and an option I want for certain rounds.

Can't wait to see the new bags that are coming out in 2017. I've had my eye on a shift for a month or so now. I was thinking about getting a smaller bag to take with me when I ride my bike to the local course and immediately thought of the focus. Can the shift be underpacked to hold about what the focus has while still staying super light and allowing for a little bit of storage? If anybody has any experience with that and could comment, I would really appreciate it. The shift just sounds like it makes way more sense than my Voodoo Mojo does right now.

The shift has a fair amount of storage space. It's just hidden below the interior discs behind a relatively small opening. If you only use the outside pockets you've got eight discs and tons of storage in the main area. You can go to ten discs with the top interior rack and still not really eat into that space.

It looks like those Shift waist straps would come in contact with the ground a lot during a round. Clearly, this is a non issue on maintained park grass courses, but what about uglier settings? Do Shift owners have a way to keep the waist straps off the ground on dirty or wet courses? Does it easily balance on a tripod stool?

The shift has a fair amount of storage space. It's just hidden below the interior discs behind a relatively small opening. If you only use the outside pockets you've got eight discs and tons of storage in the main area. You can go to ten discs with the top interior rack and still not really eat into that space.

Sounds like I would be better off with the shift than a focus then. Would it be possible to go with just one disc in each of the side pockets, or would they be likely to fall out?

Sounds like I would be better off with the shift than a focus then. Would it be possible to go with just one disc in each of the side pockets, or would they be likely to fall out?

Shouldn't fall out. There's a lot of elasticity to them, and then another elastic band at the top of each one. Keeps them pretty snug.

It looks like those Shift waist straps would come in contact with the ground a lot during a round. Clearly, this is a non issue on maintained park grass courses, but what about uglier settings? Do Shift owners have a way to keep the waist straps off the ground on dirty or wet courses? Does it easily balance on a tripod stool?

I haven't tried balancing mine on a stool, but I don't think it'd work well on the standard camp time style stool. You might be able to get it to balance, but I wouldn't consider it easy. Honestly, I haven't had issues with the waist straps. I'm sure they must get dirty and/or wet, but I never have noticed it. I don't play muddy courses that often these days, but I do play when the grass is wet and it hasn't been an issue. I wouldn't keep anything water sensitive in the pockets, but all in all it's been problem free for me.

I put mine on my Camp Time all the time. It sits just great. You just have to position it "between" the three legs, if that makes sense. I would call it easy. Much easier than trying to put a Ranger or one of those tall, boxy/skinny backpacks on one, IMO.

I keep my rainfly in one side pocket, and my keys/change/golf ball in the other one. I haven't had any issues with wet/damp/muddy sideflaps. They are a lot less obvious than it looks, once you put the bag on.

I put mine on my Camp Time all the time. It sits just great. You just have to position it "between" the three legs, if that makes sense. I would call it easy. Much easier than trying to put a Ranger or one of those tall, boxy/skinny backpacks on one, IMO.

I keep my rainfly in one side pocket, and my keys/change/golf ball in the other one. I haven't had any issues with wet/damp/muddy sideflaps. They are a lot less obvious than it looks, once you put the bag on.

Absolutely agree with the stool. Most courses I play I don't need one - so IF I'm bringing a stool it's likely to keep my bag off the ground anyway. The shift side pockets do get a little wet but not really noticeable in my experience.

I need a cart. And a rebel to put in that cart.

The edge of the water bottle holder and edges of the side disc pockets are more of an issue for me. Those places take a beating. I've thought about coating mine in that rubber dip.

The edge of the water bottle holder and edges of the side disc pockets are more of an issue for me. Those places take a beating. I've thought about coating mine in that rubber dip.

This works wonders. You can even use whatever is on sale at local store vs the true "plasti-dip". I have put that black asphalt crack sealant tar stuff on one of my cheap bags that is going on 2 years now.

SOOOO tempted to grab a V2 Rebel for only $112... Damn, my wallet is already hurting...

oooooooboy.

I've been eyeballing the Rebel since I'm going to get a cart, and it fits better and makes more sense than a shift in there. Definitely a want and not a need, but very tempting.

Has anybody attempted to carry a Scepter in a Shift backpack? I'm not sure that the scabbard that they offer would work with the front water bottle pocket. If not that retriever, any shift carriers carry a retriever with them, or just leave it in the car on an as needed basis? I've just recently run across a couple of local courses that are going to require a retriever on the regular.

Has anybody attempted to carry a Scepter in a Shift backpack? I'm not sure that the scabbard that they offer would work with the front water bottle pocket. If not that retriever, any shift carriers carry a retriever with them, or just leave it in the car on an as needed basis? I've just recently run across a couple of local courses that are going to require a retriever on the regular.

I carry a golden retriever in my shift. I slide it into the inside mesh side pocket and have tied one end to a carabineer that I attached to one of the D rings. I'm trying to figure out some sort of spool to go between them so I don't have the rope tangle, but I haven't found a good one yet. Otherwise the set up works great.

Latest posts