• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

I'm looking for advice on modifying my V. 1 Rebel.
The 3 upper pockets doesn't really make sense (the third one can't be used if there's discs in the main area) and even if you don't use the third one the discs in the second is tricky to get out (rim hooks into discs in first pocket).

I think I'll try to sew the second pocket slightly tighter, only use it for one disc and then cut away the third pocket. Anyone tried something similar with success?

I use the Shift but what I do is fill the lower two pockets with discs (usually putters) and use the top most for my towel, spare mini etc.

Today I received my Upper Park Designs Rebel (v4) backpack bag. After using one of the Academy A Game backpacks for the last few months, I decided to step up to an Upper Park Rebel. The increase in quality is readily apparent. The A Game came shipped in a poly bag, while the Rebel came shipped in a box, so right away that made an impression.

One of the reasons I went with the Rebel is for increased storage. I couldn't fit a size large hoodie in the A Game's side pockets, but the Rebel is up to the task. The Rebel's drink holders are vastly superior also, as they are insulated and have much stronger structure as they don't sag under the weight of a full 32oz bottle.

Something that surprised me is that the A Game fits more discs than the Rebel in the main disc compartment. At first I was not sure if that's because the A Game has been stretched out a little from the last few months' of use, but a quick measurement with a tape measure showed that the A Game is a full inch wider at the base inside the main compartment. Still, I was able to fit 25 discs in the Rebel's main compartment, so that's more than enough for me. Plus there is the extra space in the side pockets that easily fit more discs, so overall there is much more room in the Rebel.

The Rebel's structure is very sturdy. There is a metal (aluminum?) "stay" that runs vertically up the middle of the back of the bag. The rest of the bag is well supported and feels very sturdy. The base is reinforced and has some sort of coating, even under the drink holders. You won't feel the need to Plastidip the base of this bag like you would with other bags.

One thing I'm wondering about is the metal stay that runs up the back of the bag. Is it supposed to be curved inward into the vertical storage area? I'm guessing that it is curved to follow the natural curve of the thoracic spine area. If so, that's another really cool detail.

The bag is comfortable to wear and has good, dense padding that feels like it will mold to the wearer's back. The straps are a good width and are also padded. The handle on top is also a good width and padded, for when you want to pick the bag up and/or carry it from the top.

There are also a lot of details on the Rebel that are very handy. The umbrella/stool strap, the extra pockets, the loop on the chest strap and on the shoulder straps, the quick draw mini pocket; the list goes on. When they say they didn't cut corners, they mean it. That the bag comes with a rainfly is also huge, especially for those who live in wet areas like the Pacific Northwest.

Overall I'm impressed with this bag and would recommend it to anyone looking for a backpack bag. I had gotten the A Game at first to see if I would like a backpack bag. While I was fairly satisfied with it, I am happy to have gotten the Rebel because of the increased quality and all the features. I have a Jansport backpack that I had used for school and travel since 1997 and it is still going strong, so I expect the Rebel will last for decades.

I use the Shift but what I do is fill the lower two pockets with discs (usually putters) and use the top most for my towel, spare mini etc.

Oh smart, I'll simply stay with one disc only in the second and use the third (lower) for my towel! :)

These bags are so crazy sweet, back panel is as comfy as my expensive hiking bag. I'm the third owner of mine and it's almost as good as new.

Monday has come and gone, no shipping confirmation for my preorder. Anyone recieve one yet?

Monday has come and gone, no shipping confirmation for my preorder. Anyone recieve one yet?

Nope, but there was an update on their Facebook page.

Upper Park Designs shared Disc Golf Pro Tour's photo.
August 4 at 7:47pm ·
It's hard to get stuff done when you're constantly checking the Disc Golf Pro Tour scores. 🙈 Our man Gregg Barsby is killin' it!

Disc Golf Pro TourLike Page
August 4 at 5:24pm ·

Anyone looking to buy a disc golf backpack company?..

I'm sorry guys, I'm just over this whole situation. I don't think I will ever be taking pre orders again..

Truck delivery was rescheduled from Friday until today and no one told me. I still have not been able to get ahold of anyone to confirm that the truck has actually delivered the inventory. I've been trying all morning, phone calls and emails.. Not the warehouse or my freight forwarder or the trucking company.. no one. That's just how this whole situation has been going. I'm just ready to throw in the towel and hide under my covers until this whole situaiton blows over..

Give me a little bit and I'll shoot an update as soon as I hear back from them :wall:

To Upper Park Designs...just keep chugging away. You have a great quality product and some times as a small company sh!t happens. I don't own one of your bags yet...key word being yet. I have a request in the with Santa aka the wife lol. But have seen them in person. Stoked to get one. Just do your best and the rest will follow. I don't know how long the wait for some have been but I have waited 4+ months for things I've ordered for my motorcycle before. Mainly bc the product was pre order, made to order, or from a small company just trying to keep up with demand the best they could. I, as a consumer and a business minded individual, understand this and patiently waited. None of these products are life or death. Just keep producing a quality product man and people will wait. Cool products that are unique take time. My 2 cents. Have a good one.

Has a pre-order for a disc golf bag ever been on schedule?
Quit putting dates on things and then no one can be disappointed. :)

As of this morning, 95% of the pre orders and non pre orders have been shipped!

I'm still waiting on my Shift order to ship. Is anyone else still waiting on a non pre-order bag?

Unfortunately the warehouse lost some of the inventory of Shift Fiery Red/All Black and Rebel Fiery Red bags while inbounding. They are hunting to find them in the mounds of items that have been checked in in the last week.. Just another hiccup to top this whole situation off. But it's almost over! It's actually blowing my mind how fast this warehouse is getting orders shipped out. All this new warehouse stress was not for nothing. I see good things moving forward. :clap:

I have both a focus and a shift.

I use the focus on solo rounds and the shift when I am group playing. I love the camelback in the focus, holds 8 no problem and is super light weight

The shift is big enough for me. I carry 12 discs and 10 beers in it

Overall both seem to be of good quality I've never had a zipper break and no rips

Bad part is the stupid belt clip, if I am playing I don't need to have a belt on my bag, they don't come all the way off and they both have "storage" in them all they do is get in the way. Other than that good bags

My Pinch arrived in the mail today. I stuffed it full and it easy carries a mix of 12 discs in the main compartment, 3 drivers or mids in each side pocket, 3 drivers in the top pocket, and if you really want to up to 10 in the flap pocket. Should you carry that many discs in this bag? Probably not, but it's worth sharing. I have a bigger bag for carrying such numbers. One thing I did notice is that the top pocket, if shuffled, could get in the way of main compartment usage. Also, the the flap pocket is prone to spilling when I bend down. Will do some field testing and report back.

My Pinch arrived in the mail today. I stuffed it full and it easy carries a mix of 12 discs in the main compartment, 3 drivers or mids in each side pocket, 3 drivers in the top pocket, and if you really want to up to 10 in the flap pocket. Should you carry that many discs in this bag? Probably not, but it's worth sharing. I have a bigger bag for carrying such numbers. One thing I did notice is that the top pocket, if shuffled, could get in the way of main compartment usage. Also, the the flap pocket is prone to spilling when I bend down. Will do some field testing and report back.

If I am understanding this correctly, you were able to fit 31 discs in the bag? Not that I'd ever carry that many, but wow that is a lot of room.

Do most sponsored team members carry the rebel? Or is a mix between the rebel and the shift? Would be cool if that was called on the site!

Do most sponsored team members carry the rebel? Or is a mix between the rebel and the shift? Would be cool if that was called on the site!

That's a good idea! I'll put that on the to-do to add to the site.

Most of the men carry the Rebel; Gregg, Philo, Climo, Alex, James.. Jordan and MJ carry the Shift most of the time along with most of the woman. Hannah, Madison, Denise.. both bags have their advantages!

That's a good idea! I'll put that on the to-do to add to the site.

Most of the men carry the Rebel; Gregg, Philo, Climo, Alex, James.. Jordan and MJ carry the Shift most of the time along with most of the woman. Hannah, Madison, Denise.. both bags have their advantages!
Philo Brathwaite does not anymore as I think he uses the SuperHero Pack that came out early 2017, Not sure about Ken Climo though, I think most of the Innova players use the SuperHero Pack now or the company makes them use a Innova pack as you see Paul McBeth using a SuperHero Pack now, a pack that was made with him in mind to use. Look at Philo's 2017 in the bag.

When will the next version of the Rebel be released? Any time soon? I was looking to upgrade my bag and might try to get the next new release OR try and get the older model on sale!