• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

Sad to read some of these comments. The shift is my all time favorite bag and my current one might not last the year.

Yeah I do not know why Upper Parks just stopped making bags, they had some of the best, was looking at one of the bags at one point in 2018 then the bags model got hard to find.

Last edited:
Yeah I do not know why Upper Parks just stopped making bags, they had some of the best, was looking at one of the bags at one point in 2018 then the bags model got hard to find.

I agree

I've tried to find something better than the shift but it's close to the perfect bag for me.

I should probably buy another one but that ten year warranty isn't looking too promising.

I have a (v4) Rebel if anyone is interested. Don't get time to play between work and 4 kids and could use the cash.
Lime green and grey. Easy 8.5 or better

Rebel users, how do you use the three vertical pockets? What discs do you put in each pocket?

Top: 2 putting putters (face-to-face)
Middle: Approach, and most frequently-used mid
Bottom: OS putter/approach (a Pig)

Note: I keep only 1 disc in the bottom slot because 2 will tend to interfere with the discs below, and I'm too impatient to use two hands...

Note Note: I just bought a bag cart and a putter pocket, so everything is up for grabs now!

Note Note Note: I LOVE my Rebel bag!

It Looks like Upper Parks Is now making V5 of most of the bags, too bad as I went with a low end bag to fit on my Vertex Angler backpack's metal frame seat not being able to wait for a better bag.

Or has it said this on the site since last year?

Been using my Shift for a bit since I needed to send my Octothorpe out for repairs (one of the button snaps didn't disengage and pulled out of the shoulder strap)

I remember why I like this bag so much. It's very light even with 18 discs and full 40oz hydroflask, and very comfortable for my smaller frame. The only downsides for me are twofold: 1. the sweet spot for my loadout is 20 discs and 2. I drink and carry a lot more water when I can use a water bladder (which doesn't seem to work well in the shift, takes up a lot of the interior storage) I'll hold on to it until I order a Carlton, and at that point I'll probably sell both Shift and Octothorpe.

I've got exactly two complaints with the Shift, but I would still rather buy a new one than get any other disc golf bag that I know about.

Mine are:
1) The same ~20 disc sweet spot that you mentioned. It works perfect for tournament rounds as long as I don't lose more than one or two discs in a round, and as long as I can do a fair job predicting what disc I might lose. It also limits practice rounds just a tad, since I have to get rid of some mids, for example, to put extra fairways in, or something like that. But it fits 18 very comfortably, and I can throw in a 19th without much trouble.
2) Hills! I play tons of hilly courses in this part of the country and setting the bag down on sloping terrain is sometimes difficult. Lately, I've settled for just setting it with the back against the ground.

Again, those complaints are really nothing. This bag is (or was?) affordable and extremely high quality. It is incredibly comfortable and sleek, yet manages to carry everything I need for a tournament round or casual play. The quality is part of what makes it so comfortable, and its structure is just as good now as when I bought it >2 years ago.

My decision now is whether it's worth nearly $150 just to know I have a backup whenever this one bites the dust in another 2 or 10 years.

Looking to upgrade from my Trooper and I'm happy to splurge a little bit. A couple of questions for you all who are more acquainted with Upper Park's stuff:

-Rebel V4 owners: Do you find that the side pocket is adequate for stuffing a hoodie into? I've seen reports that it *should* be big enough, but curious to hear more thoughts. I'm in the northeast so I need to be flexible with a few layers. I can't help but feel that if the Rebel's side pockets went all the way to the top (a la Spinal Tap or Octothorpe) it would be the perfect bag for me.
-With the somewhat uncertain future of Upper Park, what are your thoughts on long-term customer/warranty service? I know these bags are super tough, but one of the big selling points of bags like Upper Park or Grip is the fantastic long-term warranty just in case.

I've been giving my bag upgrade a lot of thought, and I'm having a tough time picking one. I'd like space for 20+ discs, at least a hoodie, in a form factor that isn't massive and cumbersome. I find myself going between the Rebel (maybe not enough storage and hard to find), the Shift (not enough disc storage), Voodoo Spinal Tap 3 (really large and no customer service/company anymore), and Octothorpe ($$$ and probably more than I need as a casual player). Open to any suggestions.

Looking to upgrade from my Trooper and I'm happy to splurge a little bit. A couple of questions for you all who are more acquainted with Upper Park's stuff:

-Rebel V4 owners: Do you find that the side pocket is adequate for stuffing a hoodie into? I've seen reports that it *should* be big enough, but curious to hear more thoughts. I'm in the northeast so I need to be flexible with a few layers. I can't help but feel that if the Rebel's side pockets went all the way to the top (a la Spinal Tap or Octothorpe) it would be the perfect bag for me.
-With the somewhat uncertain future of Upper Park, what are your thoughts on long-term customer/warranty service? I know these bags are super tough, but one of the big selling points of bags like Upper Park or Grip is the fantastic long-term warranty just in case.

I've been giving my bag upgrade a lot of thought, and I'm having a tough time picking one. I'd like space for 20+ discs, at least a hoodie, in a form factor that isn't massive and cumbersome. I find myself going between the Rebel (maybe not enough storage and hard to find), the Shift (not enough disc storage), Voodoo Spinal Tap 3 (really large and no customer service/company anymore), and Octothorpe ($$$ and probably more than I need as a casual player). Open to any suggestions.

First, I don't know that it's possible to buy new Rebels anywhere. And that's a damn shame...

But if somehow you can:

Yes, the side pocket can fit a hoodie...and a hat. You won't fit much else on that side, but yes. I live in the Northeast, and this is my year-round bag

I generally carry 16-17 across the main compartment, plus 5 in the vertical shelf pockets (total 21-22). I could slip a few more distance discs in if I had to, but I think 26-27 is the practical total without also using a side pocket.

I can't speak to customer service, as I've never needed it. I understand your concern. After a full year of use for me, the bag is fine.

Regardless of what bag you're looking for, I have one suggestion about a feature to look for, and that's a sturdy, dedicated handle. It's honestly the "most used" feature on a backpack, and I think it gets overlooked. My previous bag was a Fossa Skinny, and as much as I liked the bag, the "handle" was just a sewn gripping area where the tops of the straps met up. I never really liked it, but didn't realize how inadequate it was until I got the Rebel. So: look for dedicated handle/strap that seems sturdy enough made to pull on a couple of thousand times.

Good luck!

First, I don't know that it's possible to buy new Rebels anywhere. And that's a damn shame...

But if somehow you can:

Yes, the side pocket can fit a hoodie...and a hat. You won't fit much else on that side, but yes. I live in the Northeast, and this is my year-round bag

I generally carry 16-17 across the main compartment, plus 5 in the vertical shelf pockets (total 21-22). I could slip a few more distance discs in if I had to, but I think 26-27 is the practical total without also using a side pocket.

I can't speak to customer service, as I've never needed it. I understand your concern. After a full year of use for me, the bag is fine.

Regardless of what bag you're looking for, I have one suggestion about a feature to look for, and that's a sturdy, dedicated handle. It's honestly the "most used" feature on a backpack, and I think it gets overlooked. My previous bag was a Fossa Skinny, and as much as I liked the bag, the "handle" was just a sewn gripping area where the tops of the straps met up. I never really liked it, but didn't realize how inadequate it was until I got the Rebel. So: look for dedicated handle/strap that seems sturdy enough made to pull on a couple of thousand times.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your feedback. So even without the even bigger v5 pockets which are hopefully coming, it sounds like the v4 would be a great solution for me. It is indeed a shame that v4s are so hard to find, and I don't think they're available anywhere new either. But it sounds like a fantastic bag. Holding out hope that v5 will end up coming out at some point.

You make a great point about the haul loop. That's another reason the Grip and Voodoo bags kinda turn me off- the built in haul loops don't seem very comfortable, and I grab my bag by the loop quite a bit. The UP and Pound bag designs seem great for this.

For you guys who have tried the Shift v6 and previous generations, how does the quality compare? Any dropoff at all, or are they just as awesome as previous generations?

My current shift is the Green Mountain Championship bag, I bought it in late 2017. I assume it's a v5 or maybe a v4?

For you guys who have tried the Shift v6 and previous generations, how does the quality compare? Any dropoff at all, or are they just as awesome as previous generations?

My current shift is the Green Mountain Championship bag, I bought it in late 2017. I assume it's a v5 or maybe a v4?

Same quality. I have v6, my son has v5. I've used mine daily for 6 months, he's used his a lot (hundreds of times) for the past 2+ years. I had a Rebel before (liked it too) but after caddying for him for four days at Junior Worlds using his bag I decided the Shift's extra comfort was worth the change.

I like mine version slightly better than his because it has one more foot on the drink holder to help hold it up, the "stool bottom" pocket on the side is perfect for holding a clipboard for scorecards and the "stool top" bungee cord is perfect for holding the top handle of my Qwik-Stik Mini (which in inserted down into the edge of the bag). Also I can use the double zipped flap to hold and access my phone (not really a usable pocket on his bag since it's always tucked inside). The one thing I like better about his (besides the much nicer blue/grey color scheme he has) is that his mesh inner pockets are on the inside sides of the bag and mine it is just one pocket against the inside back. His mesh pockets are easier to access and use.

Same quality. I have v6, my son has v5. I've used mine daily for 6 months, he's used his a lot (hundreds of times) for the past 2+ years. I had a Rebel before (liked it too) but after caddying for him for four days at Junior Worlds using his bag I decided the Shift's extra comfort was worth the change.

I like mine version slightly better than his because it has one more foot on the drink holder to help hold it up, the "stool bottom" pocket on the side is perfect for holding a clipboard for scorecards and the "stool top" bungee cord is perfect for holding the top handle of my Qwik-Stik Mini (which in inserted down into the edge of the bag). Also I can use the double zipped flap to hold and access my phone (not really a usable pocket on his bag since it's always tucked inside). The one thing I like better about his (besides the much nicer blue/grey color scheme he has) is that his mesh inner pockets are on the inside sides of the bag and mine it is just one pocket against the inside back. His mesh pockets are easier to access and use.

That's funny. I didn't even know my bag had those inside mesh pockets. Now I'll start using them for some smaller snacks or car keys instead of the zipper pockets on the waste straps, or the bigger inside pocket. That new "double zip" pocket in the flap does seem like a big improvement.

Also, it does seem like the v6 colors are kind of plain, but I'm generally fine with a simple design. What color is yours? And are the disc storage pockets all about the same between the two models?

That's funny. I didn't even know my bag had those inside mesh pockets. Now I'll start using them for some smaller snacks or car keys instead of the zipper pockets on the waste straps, or the bigger inside pocket. That new "double zip" pocket in the flap does seem like a big improvement.

Also, it does seem like the v6 colors are kind of plain, but I'm generally fine with a simple design. What color is yours? And are the disc storage pockets all about the same between the two models?

I got a black with blue trim and like it well enough. Looks pretty good in person. Before we both had matching blue & grey bags (his Shift, my Rebel).

Disc storage pockets are identical as far as I can tell.

They say they reinforced the drink holder edge too. Might have, mine is still pristine and his does have fraying. Time will tell on that one.

Does anyone have experience with the refresh program? My Pinch is about to fall apart. I'm not complaining as it has lasted several years and put in hundreds of rounds in all kinds of conditions. I was hoping for an upgrade as I really like the bag.

I put in a ticket with my last order number but haven't heard back yet. This would make my fourth Upper Park purchase and I was hoping they would help me get into a new Shift or another Pinch. It would be nice to have a little discount if they still offer one to returning customers.

Does anyone have experience with the refresh program? My Pinch is about to fall apart. I'm not complaining as it has lasted several years and put in hundreds of rounds in all kinds of conditions. I was hoping for an upgrade as I really like the bag.

I put in a ticket with my last order number but haven't heard back yet. This would make my fourth Upper Park purchase and I was hoping they would help me get into a new Shift or another Pinch. It would be nice to have a little discount if they still offer one to returning customers.

Sounds like Upper Parks is currently stopped not just Corona Virus but before then even with backpacks and were hoping to work with Discraft on bag partner but it never went through. The bags started to go oop on the site and have been since 2019.

Sounds like Upper Parks is currently stopped not just Corona Virus but before then even with backpacks and were hoping to work with Discraft on bag partner but it never went through. The bags started to go oop on the site and have been since 2019.

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you happen to know if they'll still be shipping the ones that are currently available online?

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you happen to know if they'll still be shipping the ones that are currently available online?

Ordered a v6 shift a little under 2 weeks ago. They had a warning shipping my be delayed because of Covid.

The Shift arrived yesterday and I like it quite a bit. So they are still selling items listed in stock.

A side note though that a guy on REddit ordered before me and has yet to receive his. Upper Park uses a fulfillment center to ship these and I think they are at the mercy of however that fulfillment center is sifting through all the orders of all the products they ship out.

Ordered a v6 shift a little under 2 weeks ago. They had a warning shipping my be delayed because of Covid.

The Shift arrived yesterday and I like it quite a bit. So they are still selling items listed in stock.

A side note though that a guy on REddit ordered before me and has yet to receive his. Upper Park uses a fulfillment center to ship these and I think they are at the mercy of however that fulfillment center is sifting through all the orders of all the products they ship out.

Thanks for the info! My Rebel took awhile to ship but it was well worth the wait. I haven't tried the Shift and was looking for a lightweight bag for league and casual rounds. The Pinch has been that bag for the last couple years. I reserve the Rebel for tournaments or long courses where I might need a backup or two. Hopefully UPD can get back to normal soon (along with the rest of us).

I ordered my shift on April 27th and unfortunately haven't received it yet. Jon did however email me saying their shipping was closed down until Monday last week so hopefully it will shift soon.

Latest posts