• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

US-31, Michigan to Alabama...Disc Golf's main vein?

apdrvya

Marketplace Guru
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
So, Jukeshoe and I were thinking about this on saturday that US-31 might be disc golf's main vein as it runs North to south from Mackinaw City, Michigan to Spanish Fort, Alabama. I was hoping to hear about some of the great courses in your states along this main vein. In Michigan there are a TON of great courses within a half hour of us-31:

North to south
Hickory Hills
Myles Kimmerly
Mason County parks (beauty, beast, goliath)
Leviathan
the Farm
Flip City
Branstrom (kind of a stretch)
Whitehall
Shore Acres

whatcha got within a half hour of 31 in your state?? and did I miss any? I thought about adding Fallasburg in Lowell, but it was further than branstrom.

In Indiana, there are the Peru courses (Pieradise and Mississinewa) that are north of Indy worth checking out. Also France Park in Logansport.

Lemon Lakes on the other hand is close to an hour and a half west of 31. Definitely 2+ hours if you take Hwy 30 to get to it.

WCG- Juke is sans internet at the moment.

You have to remember that US-31 splits into US-31W and US-31E in Louisville, KY and rejoins in Nashville, TN.

In the Louisville area near 31W you've got Maldraugh, Meade-Olin, the newly reopened Otter Creek. Then farther south is Radcliff along with Freeman Lake in Elizabethtown. Then north of Bowling Green is Holler In The Hills (which I know Jukeshoe has already played) and then all of the Bowling Green courses are within 30 minutes of US-31W. South of Bowling Green in Franklin is an 18-hole course. Right before they join up again in Nashville is Cedar Hill too. Cedar is well worth the stop.

In the Louisville area near 31E is Charlie Vettiner. There's nothing else really on 31E until you get to the Nashville area with Triple Creek in Gallatin and Sanders Ferry in Hendersonville. South of Nashville after it rejoins is Seven Oaks still in Nashville and Crockett Park in Brentwood.

Those are about all I know. I tried to list all the good ones for ya. Hope this helps and let me know if you come through BG and we can meet up for a few rounds.

Oh yeah, at the southern end in Alabama is Fairhope on the eastern side of Mobile Bay but if you're in the area most of the really solid courses are on the western side. USA, Chickasabogue, Community, Cottage Hill... They're all worth playing at least once.

In a few years,after more new trees are planted,Dr. James A.Dillon in Noblesville, IN. So far only 5 have been planted. Something to play now would be Brookside, downtown Indy. Camp Cullom, in Frankfort a little more than 30 minutes west of 31,but worth the extra drive.

there is also winstrom preserve in Holland Michigan. not too bad if you dont mind all the trees. Also Rycenga Park in Spring lake is ok. A lot of ace run holes. runs through woods mostly but does pose some interesting shots. I like it better then winstrom. but that might be because i have a ace on that course and almost had another ace just yesterday but bounced off the top of the basket.

Last edited:
Winstrom is a dump.... Hated it enough to give it one and a half discs... Rycenga id fun but not a destination course...

So, Jukeshoe and I were thinking about this on saturday that US-31 might be disc golf's main vein as it runs North to south from Mackinaw City, Michigan to Spanish Fort, Alabama. I was hoping to hear about some of the great courses in your states along this main vein. In Michigan there are a TON of great courses within a half hour of us-31:

North to south
Hickory Hills
Myles Kimmerly
Leviathan
the Farm
Flip City
Whitehall
Shore Acres

whatcha got within a half hour of 31 in your state?? and did I miss any? I thought about adding Fallasburg in Lowell, but it was further than branstrom.

Played 8 of the 11 on that list. :D

It really puts it in perspective to see them all listed like that. Top notch West MI disc golf for sure!

Edit: Yeah, where the heck is Juke? He decide to move to Flip City for the summer? :p

Last edited:
Hey, you stole my book idea! :eek: :mad:

But seriously, I-31....disc golf's Rte 66??? :popcorn:

don't forget about honey bear in peru! 3rd disc golf course in the world! france park in logansport isn't far off either and it is pretty good.

France Park IS pretty amazing...:thmbup:

Honey Bear was the 3rd course? :\

The Goat Path in Cub Run, KY is about 20-25 minutes from 31W, but it may be gone in a few years (or less). I am looking for a new farm closer to my wifes work.

North to south
Hickory Hills
Myles Kimmerly
Leviathan
the Farm
Flip City
Whitehall
Shore Acres

Hey, hey, hey, hey!

Sitting on the tip of US-31 as I do, I must also include River Road in Petoskey, MI. I love Hickory, and have played it for years, but honestly, ours is as much if not more of a challenge. No elevation to help you along.

Plus Silver Mountain in St Ignace, and The Crowle Hole in Harbor Springs are worth mentioning.

If you are including Whitehall Township, you gotta add these, and Northend Riverside in Big Rapids.

Latest posts