• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

wolfhaley to NW Michigan 2021

wolfhaley

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
So I'm starting to map out my first trip for 2021 to NW Michigan via the UP. I want to (finally) play the Mason County courses. I'm thinking a 7 day trip to Ludington and back, maybe 8 days.

Day 1-From home (central WI) to Mackinaw City.
Ludington Links-Escanaba, MI
Pioneer Trails-Gladstone, MI

Days 2-4 or 5-Mackinaw City to Ludington to Traverse City
Mason County Beauty-Ludington, MI
Mason County Beast-Ludington, MI
Mason County Goliath-Ludington, MI
Leviathan-Ludington, MI (If open by then)
Labyrinth-Scottville, MI
The Edge DGC-Scottville, MI
Whiskey Hills-Custer, MI
Myles Kimmerly-Maple City, MI
Hickory Hills North and South-Traverse City, MI

Day 5 or 6-To Marinette WI
North Bluff DGC-Gladstone, MI
Cedar Ridge DGC-Menominee, MI (have to look into this one yet)

Day 7 or 8-Home
Bag as many dinkers that I can on my way back in NE WI

So my question is what, if anything may I have overlooked in MI? Blissfest, Deerfield? If I had extra time Flip isn't too far from Ludington so that'd be an option. Anything I need to know, did I miss something? Thanks in advance.

Ludington Links is a 7 hole now, 8 and 9 were flooded out by high lake water a year ago. Pioneer Trail is not in good shape either as it hasn't been maintained in years, brush and debris everywhere. The park is closed but the course is open, you'll have to park by the gate and start on #9. There's also The Tailings in Iron River, Iron Mountain City Park and Marinette City Park to consider as well as the two Marquette courses, Powder Mill and Silver Creek.

I'm a regular at North Bluff in Gladstone, let me know if you need a guide.

Ludington Links is a 7 hole now, 8 and 9 were flooded out by high lake water a year ago. Pioneer Trail is not in good shape either as it hasn't been maintained in years, brush and debris everywhere. The park is closed but the course is open, you'll have to park by the gate and start on #9. There's also The Tailings in Iron River, Iron Mountain City Park and Marinette City Park to consider as well as the two Marquette courses, Powder Mill and Silver Creek.

I'm a regular at North Bluff in Gladstone, let me know if you need a guide.

Thanks for the info Crippler :thmbup:

Ludington Links and Pioneer Trail were added to break up the drive to Mackinaw and to just bag some new ones. Probably be about 4 hours to get there. It'll be nice to stretch the legs after 4 hours or so.

That's why North Bluff was on the way back. Looked to be the best of the 3 in the Escanaba area. I've played Marinette City Park before, nice course. Iron Mountain City Park, The Tailings, and most other courses in that area will be saved for a later trip. I got quite a few to play near those anyway. That was what I first thought about though.

def interested in following this

i hope to be making a similar trip next year

Spill the details when you get them. And if I'm available when you come through we could always meet up. Big Eau Pleine isn't too far from highway 29 if you were to take that route to MI. What courses were you thinking in MI?

Definitely nothing good on that list. :D

I'd stay home and drink beer instead. :|

I might do a similar route but would keep going around Lake Michigan and play my way up thru Wisconsin. The sooner the better though, the snow isn't going to hold off much longer. If we get a big lake effect snow event, you can forget about Ludington and Traverse City.

I might do a similar route but would keep going around Lake Michigan and play my way up thru Wisconsin. The sooner the better though, the snow isn't going to hold off much longer. If we get a big lake effect snow event, you can forget about Ludington and Traverse City.

Yeah I'm done traveling for the year. I'm thinking next June for this trip. That'll give me the most daylight to bag as many as possible.

Spill the details when you get them. And if I'm available when you come through we could always meet up. Big Eau Pleine isn't too far from highway 29 if you were to take that route to MI. What courses were you thinking in MI?

i completely misread this when i first got the notification sorry

im not tryna steal your thread so ill keep it brief

this summer i really wanna hit up rollin ridge and flip and even in the same trip also the courses in mi that you listed such as mason county and lev and lab i could make a big ass loop around mn to wi to mi to wi and back home lulz

maybe ill wait for your word since you have great taste in courses also ill def hit you up when im around your area since i ended up not going this year when i pmd you

finally i love the course bagger mentality of waiting for maximum daylight haha

this summer i really wanna hit up rollin ridge and flip and even in the same trip also the courses in mi that you listed such as mason county and lev and lab i could make a big ass loop around mn to wi to mi to wi and back home lulz

maybe ill wait for your word since you have great taste in courses also ill def hit you up when im around your area since i ended up not going this year when i pmd you

finally i love the course bagger mentality of waiting for maximum daylight haha

Yeah man, I always take a trip in June. Get a lot of courses bagged that month.

I debated going all the way around the lake but there's so many nice looking ones in NW MI that I could spend a week just there and still not play them all. This way I don't have to drive thru Chicago too. That's the worst lol.

This way I don't have to drive thru Chicago too. That's the worst lol.

We used to drive from MD to WI every year. The entire trip was planned around what time to drive through Chicago. Really not too bad if you avoid rush hour(s).

Yeah man, I always take a trip in June. Get a lot of courses bagged that month.

I debated going all the way around the lake but there's so many nice looking ones in NW MI that I could spend a week just there and still not play them all. This way I don't have to drive thru Chicago too. That's the worst lol.

i drove thru chicago once and that was enough for me

made mpls/stp look like county roads

the loop around the lake would be so sweet

on my summer list is to peck away at wi tho and i for sure want to make it to madison wi and also to western sd for mtb/dg

got mi on my radar and maybe even canyons too and camden so i can talk **** on the top courses threads like i know what im talking about and super cultured

so many courses so little time

got mi on my radar and maybe even canyons too and camden so i can talk **** on the top courses threads like i know what im talking about and super cultured

so many courses so little time

I loved the Canyons. I've gotten stormed out of Camden 2 years in a row now. I managed to get the Foundation courses last year and played Fairfield years ago. I have no luck with Camden.

I loved the Canyons. I've gotten stormed out of Camden 2 years in a row now. I managed to get the Foundation courses last year and played Fairfield years ago. I have no luck with Camden.

guessing it must have been lightning and stuff if you got stormed out

i cant see a little rain scaring you away haha

guessing it must have been lightning and stuff if you got stormed out

i cant see a little rain scaring you away haha

It was both times. The only 2 days it's stormed the last 2 years on a trip for me. Camden day. 😡

painful

you gotta get to flip tho on your trip and let me know how it is

I played Flip a couple years ago. 2 or 3 years ago, can't remember. Absolutely love it. So nice I played it twice. Time permitting on next years trip I might try to hit it up again.

That was a trip around the bottom of the lake and that's as far up as I got.

I would take a look at Mt McSauba in Charlevoix. Lacks a bit of spit and polish, but it is a great course and a good hike. One of my favorites in the state.

Thanks for the input. That one looked to be one of the top options I don't have planned...yet at least. I don't mind courses that are a little rough around the edges. Definitely in the mix. I may have to make this trip a day longer to play everything I want. And that's fine by me. 👍

Latest posts