• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

US Amateur Doubles Championship

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Information

Registration Opens - July 2, 2011.

Event Dates: Saturday 10/01/2011 - Sunday 10/02/2011
Type: PDGA, XA Tier
Director: Bill Jacobson (burro)
Phone: 704 577 4770

Available Spots: 72

Courses: Winthrop Gold, Nevin, Sugaw

Event Details:
Only 1 player needs to register for your team. Enter one player's name in the "First Name" field, and the other player's name in the "Last Name" field.

nice, hopefully i'm in a better place with my game in time for that.

Sugaw, really? WTF is my only reaction to that, despite it being in my top five favorite courses in Charlotte.

Thats what I was trying to tell you!!! It makes sense though.

This is my guess, Captains choice - Winthrop Gold, Alt Shot - Nevin, then an easy course for the alt shot/best disc/capt choice (or worst shot) combo.

I agree though, as a 2 day event, I would love to see 4 rounds. Its's doubles. Throw in the tougher courses.

Just like Eastway didnt fit last year with Nevin and Winthrop. Everyone was expecting Hornets or Renny. Idlewild and RL Smith won't be ready for A-tier play by then.

It's Nevin that doesn't fit. Renny gold/black or web/nest. I'd even prefer Skillborne/Kilborne, or Mule Trail Long/Angry Beaver. Too much of a push by certain people to have Nevin be a highlight course for every charlotte tourney. It's there. We know. Now let's play something logical and elliminate travelling for no apparent reason other than to just mandate play at Nevin.

Actually, it is the opposite of that. Just use facts. It is Eastway that is pushed the most. US Doubles, Club Championships, the Main Icebowl plus multiple uses this year.

If you count Rec, Masters, Junior, and Women's almost every established course in Charlotte will havet he same if not more PDGA rounds than Charlotte.

This year:
Advanced Players:Clash
Kilborne and Eastway

Best at Nest
Hornets Nest

CAC
Hornets Nest
Nevin
Renny
Eastway

US Doubles
Sugaw
Withrop
Nevin

Beaver Jam
Angry Beaver - Elon

Fall Fling
Reedy Creek

Frozen Finale
Sugaw
Eastway

DID YOU NOT NOTICE THAT I DID NOT PUT EASTWAY INTO THE MIX? I completely agree with you.

Now get Nevin out of the mix for the best doubles tourney in the country for AM's. Most people just don't like playing there. I like the course and still am advocating for it not to be used for US Dubs.

PDGA Rounds by Course in Charlotte all divisions included:

Eastway - 4
Sugaw - 3
Hornets Nest: 3
Kilborne: 3
Elon - Angry Beaver: 3
Reedy Creek - 2
Nevin - 2
Renny - 1

Nevin was only used twice last year as well. CAC and Dubs. It is clear that an effort has been made to promote the easier courses in Charlotte.

Why can't we cater to what the people want? Renny black/gold would most likely win by a landslide. No travelling! And centralized for accommodating out of towners so they wouldn't be travelling from rock hill to north charlotte to east charlotte. Excessive for no reason, plus not what the people want.

Well, anyways, here is what is happening.

Winthrop - Captains Choice
Nevin - 666 Format (probably best disc, alt shot, capt choice)
Sugaw - Best Disc

All Am eligibility rules apply. Winners of Worlds '11 may play (according to TD). $100 per team, and you can get a new partner if needed. Can withdraw anytime up to a week before the event.

Why can't we cater to what the people want? Renny black/gold would most likely win by a landslide. No travelling! And centralized for accommodating out of towners so they wouldn't be travelling from rock hill to north charlotte to east charlotte. Excessive for no reason, plus not what the people want.

I found out about courses when everyone else did; at the CAC awards ceremony, so asking Bill would probably be best.

I honestly could care less what courses are played. Im just happy to have so many events in Charlotte or around Charlotte.

Then why not help advocate for other courses to be used, especially since you work in close proximity to all of the BOD for the CDGC. You talk with the board more than they talk with each other, seriously. And let me ask you this, would you rather stay in a hotel near Nevin/Sugaw or one on the strip by Renny? That alone is something to account for when hosting out of towners.

Well, anyways, here is what is happening.

Winthrop - Captains Choice
Nevin - 666 Format (probably best disc, alt shot, capt choice)
Sugaw - Best Disc

All Am eligibility rules apply. Winners of Worlds '11 may play (according to TD). $100 per team, and you can get a new partner if needed. Can withdraw anytime up to a week before the event.

Can you provide clarity to "All AM Rules Apply"? You earlier stated you have to be under 970rating. Why are you stating you have to be under 970?

I'm assuming that the women have to play AM men?

If there was an Int. division I might give it a try but no need playing Winthrop Gold and Nevin just to get me arsed kicked :D. Plus that same weekend is meet-up at Hawk Hallow :D.

It appears that you are using the qualifications established by PDGA for A-C tiers, even though this is an Xtier. So since this is one division of AM's basically, are you requiring pro women to have to be under an 850rating? And you wonder why the women don't come. I personally would love to play against a Val/Des team or some of the pro women to mix it up a little.

So with this being an XA tier, do you have to be a current pdga member? Several peeps have asked me today but I can't find an answer.

Im under the impression you have to be a PDGA member. I asked Bill if my partner has to be PDGA at sign-up or if he can just get his membership before the tourney. He said "You can mark his as partner, he doesnt have to be PDGA til tourney registration deadline." He said you can also change partners if you need to, all the way up to same deadline.

Latest posts