• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC - Actual Tournament...

I'd like to know how many people laid up and what their score was.

A quick glance shows a good number of threes low into the player pool. I wonder if 17 doesn't play better for less quality players who know their skill doesn't allow them to run at it?

I watched a few of the videos of Paul. He runs at a lot of things that the other guys on his card don't. If you're right on, that's great, but on this course, if you're off a little bit, it hurts.

Anyone know what Eagle threw on that roller? Damn he threw it flat and the disc flipped and rolled like a 2 day old DX plastic driver!

I believe that he rolls a D-Line FD, not sure if he uses it for max D rollers though

A quick glance shows a good number of threes low into the player pool. I wonder if 17 doesn't play better for less quality players who know their skill doesn't allow them to run at it?
One of the bad things about 17 (at least when I played it last year) is that the layup area is so small it barely helps the shot to the green. It's actually slightly tricky to even land your layup safely in the layup area. Very easy to roll/slide out of the layup zone, and then your shot to the green is barely any easier.

At least the max score is pretty much capped at 8 on 17 this year with three misses from tee then go to drop zone on edge of green where you can get down in 2.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLMZbcWlBlC/

I'll never understand why this is such a hard decision. His upshot was very good to get the 3, but even a 950 guy could get the 4 here if they played that upshot safe.

If you do this for 4 rounds, how many strokes are you loosing?????

Lyle, before you comment - YES, that does make the hole design kind of pointless. ;)

It's crazy that the mental challenge on 17 is far and away more difficult than the hole itself - just look at the numbers for the field.

Everyone thought 888 was going to play easier to. LOL

I'll never understand why this is such a hard decision. His upshot was very good to get the 3, but even a 950 guy could get the 4 here if they played that upshot safe.

Lyle, before you comment - YES, that does make the hole design kind of pointless. ;)

It's crazy that the mental challenge on 17 is far and away more difficult than the hole itself - just look at the numbers for the field.

I like this play too, just put it really wide in the large landing area with a forehand https://www.instagram.com/p/BLMZ5E-lRVn/

Me, too. I've never played the course, but it has always seemed to me (watching it) to be the way to play this hole. I'd only go for it if I had to get a stroke with one hole left on the last day. And (Lyle) this is a player with a USDGC championship under his belt.

With Cam & McBeast 10 throws out after round one, that dispels any chance they could "choke". On DGCR you have to actually be in the running on the final day to "choke". Those that are way out of it, can't be "chokers".

Last edited:
One of the bad things about 17 (at least when I played it last year) is that the layup area is so small it barely helps the shot to the green. It's actually slightly tricky to even land your layup safely in the layup area. Very easy to roll/slide out of the layup zone, and then your shot to the green is barely any easier.

That's true. With the not-insignificant chance of going OB while trying to lay up, the mathematically optimal way for a 1000-rated player to play the hole for a low average is to aim for the fattest part of the island - not at the target or the layup area.

(I don't know if I was supposed to divulge that.)

That's true. With the not-insignificant chance of going OB while trying to lay up, the mathematically optimal way for a 1000-rated player to play the hole for a low average is to aim for the fattest part of the island - not at the target or the layup area.

(I don't know if I was supposed to divulge that.)

Hmmmm... The video does not make the lay up look like a very tough shot, although I cannot see the degree of slope. I feel like if you practiced that layup shot you could hit the sweet spot 99% of the time. It's literally a putt. Also, it DOES make the route the to green significantly easier, and I'm not sure how one could argue otherwise.

I do agree 1000 rated leftys or those with solid sidearms can go for the fat part of the green with relative ease.

Laying up does allow you to throw a RHBH hyzer to the green though which is much easier especially in windy conditions.

Drew Gibson bogey free except for the quad bogey on 17.

I was defending Hole 17 in the other thread and still do, but man the stats speak for themselves on 13 - hard not to say that's just a poor hole.

It's only a bad hole, because it has the stroke and distance rule. :\ Absolutely the most boring golf.

I seem to recall Nate missing it last year. I can't decide if that makes the hole better or just that much more of a pain. I won't argue that it's exciting, it is, but I'm not sure it's representative of a good hole....

I played with Paju in the Performance division one year. Good kid but he blew up that round.

i heard you threw hula hoops covered in old dead head tapestries and cough sneezed 'stand and deliver' everytime anyone else flinched before they shot.

Latest posts