• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC Course Layout...TOUGH!

Yeah definately. If the course is in the woods that means fewer fans, which means less $. I just wish Charlotte would at least get a NT every year. You could go back and forth between Hornets Nest and Renny. Either way I will be down in Rock Hill next week.

2 and 15 look like murder.

Hornets Nest and Renny would be something. I thought the World's are there in 2012. Isn't that why the new courses are being built?

I love disc golf and all, but I'd go to 1,000 sucky football games before I'd go watch somebody else play disc golf. I'd need an amphetamine breakfast with a constant caffeine I V drip to make it an hour without passing out from boredom.
Watching the best players in the world? Man.. im watching it online the whole week haha

2 and 15 look like murder.

Hornets Nest and Renny would be something. I thought the World's are there in 2012. Isn't that why the new courses are being built?

Yeah the worlds are coming to Charlotte. I'm hoping after that NC will get an NT every year.

I get to find out how tough it is tomorrow. I'm playing the course around noon... if it's not dumping.
DSCJNKY

Renny Gold 2 does not have a double mando.

West Lake in Davenport IA is a really nice course, but when it is tricked out in the longs the aggressive use of the lake and thick rough makes several holes virtually unplayable for someone of my skill level. It's brutal in every sense of the word and pretty much impossible for someone like me not to lose half a dozen discs in one round. While having a course like that seems good for the sport in an abstract sort of way, I'd hate it if it was the closest course to my house.

Now from the perspective of designing a disc golf course on public land for public use, I have a hard time justifying using 30+ acres of public land for a course as hard as West Lake. It seems to me that a course designed to be attractive to the top 10% of disc golfers is catering to a very small portion of a demographic that is pretty small to begin with.
We did a road trip to the quad cities (IL/IA border) this summer, and West Lake Park blew my mind. Way to tough for the average player. I went there knowing the reputation, but not expecting that monster. We saw a family playing with catch discs on hole 1. I tried to explain a few rules to them, but it is pointless there. Hole 2 is a 200+' forced carry over water, with no other route. They either quit after 1 or after losing their catch discs on 2.

The weirdest thing about that place is it is in a multi-hundred acre park with plenty of family camping. You would think a more tame course would make more sense in a place that is sure to get plenty of beginners.

So, West Lake is great for 1000 rated players, not so for the rest of us. I hope to go back in a few years, when hopefully my skills have improved.

West Lake in Davenport IA is a really nice course, but when it is tricked out in the longs the aggressive use of the lake and thick rough makes several holes virtually unplayable for someone of my skill level. It's brutal in every sense of the word and pretty much impossible for someone like me not to lose half a dozen discs in one round. While having a course like that seems good for the sport in an abstract sort of way, I'd hate it if it was the closest course to my house.

Now from the perspective of designing a disc golf course on public land for public use, I have a hard time justifying using 30+ acres of public land for a course as hard as West Lake. It seems to me that a course designed to be attractive to the top 10% of disc golfers is catering to a very small portion of a demographic that is pretty small to begin with.

We did a road trip to the quad cities (IL/IA border) this summer, and West Lake Park blew my mind. Way to tough for the average player. I went there knowing the reputation, but not expecting that monster. We saw a family playing with catch discs on hole 1. I tried to explain a few rules to them, but it is pointless there. Hole 2 is a 200+' forced carry over water, with no other route. They either quit after 1 or after losing their catch discs on 2.

The weirdest thing about that place is it is in a multi-hundred acre park with plenty of family camping. You would think a more tame course would make more sense in a place that is sure to get plenty of beginners.

So, West Lake is great for 1000 rated players, not so for the rest of us. I hope to go back in a few years, when hopefully my skills have improved.
Yeah, I really wanted to love that course because it was so hard, but it needed to be on private land. I don't know how you justify using public land for a course so few people have the skills to play.

Well now it looks like I am going to come down Friday, and Possibly Thursday night to watch the Distance. Saturday I'm going to before mentioned football game lol.

Yeah the worlds are coming to Charlotte. I'm hoping after that NC will get an NT every year.

If I'm not mistaken The Carolina Clash in Charlotte will be a NT event in the spring 2010. Will be played at Renny and Hornet's Nest.

I love disc golf and all, but I'd go to 1,000 sucky football games before I'd go watch somebody else play disc golf. I'd need an amphetamine breakfast with a constant caffeine I V drip to make it an hour without passing out from boredom.

ROFL!!!! That is classic! Oh man, I need a laughing smiley with tears streaming off of his face.

You're probably not alone in your view of watching disc golf in person. That probably lends credence to why disc golf will likely not ever become a mainstream televised sport. Not enough spectators to pull in big sponsorship monies to pay for televised events.

I will admit that your comment captures exactly how I feel about going and watching ball golf. I would be bored to tears. Of course I don't play ball golf so I guess that explains a lot too.

Well, I tried to watch some at work. I think I saw two drives in 20 minutes, plus Maceman is a great guy but he could make a three-wide run for the checkers at Daytona sound slightly less exciting than watching paint dry. All-in-all it was even more boring than I expected, and I expected to be bored.

But, it's a start. I'd suppose they will get better as they go.

If I post some pics from my blackberry tomorrow will that help everyone?

But I plan on having the actual pictures I take up by tomorrow night depending on how tired i am.

Maceman is a great guy

LOL, you couldn't be more wrong.

other than that.. I like watching disc golf. In person or on tape. Followed the last 9 holes of the memorial one year and it was great. Dave, Barry, Ken and Paul made for an interesting watch.

LOL, you couldn't be more wrong.

other than that.. I like watching disc golf. In person or on tape. Followed the last 9 holes of the memorial one year and it was great. Dave, Barry, Ken and Paul made for an interesting watch.
Dropping the f-bomb while he thought he still wasnt live. Thought that was hilarious. $20 says hes not commentating the rest of the week.

Dropping the f-bomb while he thought he still wasnt live. Thought that was hilarious. $20 says hes not commentating the rest of the week.

well, he did a very bad job of being a TD in this area and had many issues with truning in scores on time for ratings updates then in his last season he didn't end up paying in sanctioning fees untill someone esle held a raffle and used his plasic for payout to get it all worked out. countless other shady dealings went on. I guess nobody did a formal complaint. I stopped playing his events quick for good reason.

USDGC course is BAD ASS! I played the course last week on Tuseday with Steve Rico, Josh Anthon and two other pros who had qualified. With inspiration like that around I played out of my mind great!!! I shot +1 with two tripple bogeys (hole 5 and 9) and had 7 birdies overall. (Josh and Steve both shot -10... the two other pros shot 0 and +15... so I felt great about my round).

The course was awesome. I love the layout. I love the ropes! It makes it more like ball golf... you have to think. You need to throw GOLF shots. 1/2 a mental slip up will cost you big time.

Even though it's wide open... the OB's make it play TIGHT. I don't think I would enjoy this course 1/2 as much without the ropes. And, if I was to play it again without the ropes I think I would play it as if the ropes were there (where applicable).

Overall... every hole is birdieable (as practically seen with Josh Anthon's final round when he was 16 down after 16). The course is completely fair... IF YOU PLAY GOLF.
DSCJNKY

PS. During my second round (on Sunday) I shot +7... it was windier and I didn't have the inspiration I had during the tuesday round. I was disappointed, but +7 is better than I thought I was going to do in the first place.

Latest posts