• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC results-exactly what people were worried about?

Huh? Perhaps you've never seen/played the course.

There is no requirement for a big arm. If you can throw 250 accurately and get up-and-down from 150ft, you can fairly easily shoot 72 (4-over).

I'm not personally good enough, but I could take pretty much any 950+ player out there, take away their drivers, and if they throw exactly where I tell them to throw, they'd be between 70-75.

Grodney speaks truth.
I've played Winthrop a half-dozen times and as long as you can throw 250' in the fairway and hit your putts ~25' and in, par is attainable on every hole.
There is no mistake that a big arm helps, but extreme distance is not necessary for par. The distance is probably necessary to birdie a lot of holes, but not for par.

After watching the J. Poole interview it pretty much answered my question, should have watched that before I posted..

Check it out, it's on page 7 of this thread

Ive tried a few time for the last few day but im unable to get past a minute and a half :(

Look you little dork, I have spent alot of time,money and effort in my area to grow this sport! What have you done? I am the one who got him involved in dg. And pretty much, I have had enough of grown man whinning like a bunch of two year olds!

What I'm p'ds about is the people on here commenting that they personally talked with my brothers caddie and got the scoop on him! News Flash, he didnt have an f'n caddie! So know your facts.

If you want to continue to whin about the USDGC/Innova, be my guest. But then dont be alarmed when NO big sponsor ever picks dg up! Cause what they see is a bunch of grown men whinning over either the TD,Tourney,Payout, Course or the people playing at just about every tourament held! Mainstream.......NO WAY!

My comment was not a joke, i was being serious. If you took the time to pay attention youd of noticed that i never attacked of rumored any part of the event or players.

Your first sentence above sounds exactly like something a overbearing sister would say when thier brother was getting picked on in grade school. Thanks for making my joke a reality.. If i was friends with him i would definitely rib him about you defending him.

I do not owe you my resume. I am not a dork, im cool in real life with or without dg. Grats to you for your efforts in dg- maybe youll learn a lil tact from your brother.

wow 15 pages and this thread is going nutz.

@The Keys family, don't take this stuff personally, some of the comments are jokes, sarcasm is hard to detect on DGCR. Congrats on the win, coming back from surgery and getting back to throwing shape/consistent isn't the issue here. it is that it could be done by someone dishonest in the future to win the tourney. play low twice and get a huge handicap. u won honest and fair but some see the flaw in the ratings system that just seems unfair. Did you beat Dave F by 16 strokes or did he win by 92 strokes. By the new system you crushed him and had a great time doing it, congrats. but i'm sure you can see why people might be Polarized by the new system. I hope there isn't anymore personal attacks but i didn't really see anything that should be reported. post a picture or video of lead cards final round or group.

@biscoe and other TD do non pdga tourneys tend to break even or make a little more money? ace races? just wondering since maybe the system is broken and this is the wake up call from innova.

so just to be clear. Are people mad because there is a handicapped tourney or because of the one that was handicapped? I personally like the idea of a handicapped tourney. It makes me feel like I have a chance at competing in one of these. On the other hand something that is called US championship should not be handicapped. Once they figure out a fair way to make a handicap I don't see how this change could be bad for ams.

Like I said earlier,

I think the handicaps should be determined by the rating of the tournament an individual qualified at (which in my case it would have been 940, instead of 880). I also believe that anyone that has a rating that would start with a projected par lower then course par, that player should start at par (ie: Feldberg at 68 instead of 62). It's still amazing that he stayed in the hunt and was able to shoot the course record 56 with stroke and distance! They are very good at what they do, and this experience gave me a new respect for that and even more respect for those pros that attended!

I don't think they should have tested this format at the usdgc first, but I do think it could bring excitement to the event if done correctly! It's the DGU system that is flawed, not the format!

Like I stated earlier, the reality is what it is!

Just call me Barry Bonds, guilty of performance enhancing handicap! Lol

John Key ***************

Last edited:
OK ... before this thread gets locked with RK coming in here throwing you guys around again ... can a mod delete that profile? This is going to get inflammatory very fast! John doesn't have a brother ... plain and simple ... get back on topic of the "issue" you guys have with the tourney format or lock this thread down and send it to the landfill.

In other words JamesKey is a false profile and needs to be removed.

John's had nothing but classy posts in here and that kinda stuff is just uncalled for.

This place is an F'n joke! You know, when I first started playing, I had great respect for this site and forum. met new people that seemed to normal, some have even made it to my store, and it was a pleasure meeting them.

Now this thread, this part of the site to me, is a joke! You people whinning and making up fake profiles are 1.suck and couldn't qualify 2. were to scared to go or 3. are the jacka$$'s that wont play if theres no money involved. Which is the very reason this sport can't move into the mainstream. You want respect and the big money in our sport, then change your actions. Your disc golf companies and tourney sponsors see it, thats why they did this. Coke, Miller Lite, Bud, Pepsi................ will never take something as ridiculous as this. Thats really very sad!

In all honesty jk* being a 950ish player, you prob are cabable to shoot 1000 rated golf. Add the expierence from the event, the left handed throw, and all the haters.......next year could be like rocky II too for you!!

In all honesty jk* being a 950ish player, you prob are cabable to shoot 1000 rated golf. Add the expierence from the event, the left handed throw, and all the haters.......next year could be like rocky II too for you!!

Don't throw lefty anymore, was more frustrating then helpful back then......... And I think anyone has the ability to shoot well at any given day! The hard part is sustaining that! Thats why anyone winning worlds, the real usdgc, etc...... Is such an accomplishment as they string those 1000+ rounds together.

If invited back, I would like to attend again, regardless of the circumstances/format......... But Jonathan Poole informed me that the plan was to " invite the top 10 back next year," but that statement was followed by "depending on the format"

Ronda, you cant tell me that folks that played with the hopes of winning didnt believe some scrunity would come.
People, while perhaps not understanding of what it takes to run such an event, are free to voice their opionion of what many consider DISC GOLF's premier event. Most peoples beef is simply over the title name or the tweeks (agknowledeged by credible members) that may be needed.

Its the internet. Most get a lil more mouthy, including yourself. If you step back and see the "whining" as ownership in the sport, you may find it as a worthwhile trait it disc golfers.

Don't throw lefty anymore, was more frustrating then helpful back then......... And I think anyone has the ability to shoot well at any given day! The hard part is sustaining that! Thats why anyone winning worlds, the real usdgc, etc...... Is such an accomplishment as they string those 1000+ rounds together.

If invited back, I would like to attend again, regardless of the circumstances/format......... But Jonathan Poole informed me that the plan was to " invite the top 10 back next year," but that statement was followed by "depending on the format"

You are definitely right about stringing em together.

I hope you get an invite next year, reguardless of format. It seemed usdga gave will a great boost of confidence after....i hope it does the same for you.

Keep that lefty throw up though so you can swith up southpaw like rocky;)

Soooooooo, nobody thinks a weighted flight system is in order? Almost every single handicap event in ball golf is flighted. It even fits well with the divisions we already have in place. Take the first two rounds, over night add them into the player's handicap and determine their score, then put everyone into four flights - open, AM1, AM2, and REC.

With so few rated rounds from so many players, two rounds would actually affect each player's handicap quite a bit. Play out of your mind and your handicap gets lowered, boom, no flukey wins from streaky players. Play down to try and sandbag your rating, boom, you landed yourself in a lower flight and can't win the "championship".

Ronda, you cant tell me that folks that played with the hopes of winning didnt believe some scrunity would come.
People, while perhaps not understanding of what it takes to run such an event, are free to voice their opionion of what many consider DISC GOLF's premier event. Most peoples beef is simply over the title name or the tweeks (agknowledeged by credible members) that may be needed.

Its the internet. Most get a lil more mouthy, including yourself. If you step back and see the "whining" as ownership in the sport, you may find it as a worthwhile trait it disc golfers.

I completely understand what you are saying. I also get what the USDGC was to people. With that said, not only am I addicted to DG, I see the bigger picture with working closely with my city and county gov. on what needs to happen to grow the sport. Should they have done it to the USDGC? I cant really say. I mean which one would everyone not had a fit about? The big tourneys all mean something to somebody! Look, I'm old, I want this sport to really be something big by the time my niece (11) and all these kids I'm teaching get up there. So I see both sides. I realize, I dont know you and you dont know me, but the one thing I will never stand for is anyone attacking my family. Yes, you are correct, my brother is a grown man, but like I said, you dont know me very well.

I do apologize for attacking you, this crap on all the forums just finally made me blow my lid. I am very proud of my brother just for even going!

Pros hate ams ;) so they dont want those labels. Itd have to be pro, elite pro, and championship pro ;)

not to say it isnt a good idea, but i think part of the intended appeal is one field.

I dont know much about handicaps or flighted handicaps though :|

Rhonda, i completely understand. If my fam was being rumor milled and attacked id be quick to jump.as well.
I tend to talk to most all discers as frieds. I realize this may come off crude at times, if so, i apologize.

I also agree that trophy (and shirt) is the way we need to lean in future events as a whole.
The event im looking forward to most this year, personally, is a fundraiser, sponsored by founders brewing co, to get a couse on belle isle. If i get the course, beer, and a shirt i will be more then happy- moreso then a plastic payout.

Latest posts