• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Used discs at PIAS?

PIAS provides a service of getting used sports equipment into the hands of those who cannot otherwise afford new stuff. If people, including disc golfers want to make use of that service, I'm not going to be giving them crap for it.

That being said, I also see them as a pawn shop for sporting goods and without any knowledge of whether they verify that stuff wasn't stolen, I personally will not shop there. Not for used discs, not for new discs, not for non-DG equipment. Never. Never. Never. I feel that would be contributing to the problem.

Thankfully, unlike a lot of sporting goods equipment, new discs are quite cheap.

Pias Sucks! I'm a Disc Fisher at Bryan Park in Virginia using a GR. My current "marked" list looks like this.

Eric Troll "175 Yellow Innova Valkyrie" Notified on 08-24-09

Norby "Lime Green Innova Champion Beast" Notified on 08-24-09

Bobby Toms "133 Purple Innova Skeeter" Notified on 08-26-09 "Said I could keep it"

Dave Bayford "167 Blue Discraft Elite Express" Notified on 08-26-09

Charron # 36354 "175 Red Innova Champion TeeBird" Notified thru facebook

Danny Cholewa "175 Blue Innova Champion Beast" Notified on 09-05-09

Harold "Yellow Star Starfire" Notified on 11-10-09

Chris Odden "KC-Pro Innova Gazelle" Notified on 11-13-09

Stephen Milby "Yellow Innova Champion Beast" Notified on 11-13-09

Kevin Strickland "Pink Innova Archangel" Notified on 11-13-09

Derek R "Pink DX Cheetah" Notified on 12-1-09

Unknown Name has a number "175 Yellow DX Banshee" Notified on 12-1-09

Jeff Mclintyre "Red Champion Roadrunner" Notified on 12-17-09

Chris Hysell "Orange Discraft Surge" Notified on 12-17-09

Casey "White 171 Star Mako" Notified on 03-31-10

Steve "Red 170 Discraft Elite Z XS" Notified on 03-31-10

Chris Smith "Red Innova Roc" Notified on 03-31-10

Kyle Douglas "Orange DX Banshee" Notified on 04-01-10

Maclurg "Green Champion Orc" Notified on 04-05-10

Jonathon Greenhill "Yellow DX Leopard" Notified on 04-06-10

Derek "Orange Quest Inferno" Notified on 04-06-10

I miss our PIAS since it went out of business. Nothing like cruising the bargain bins and finding a perfectly broken in disc for 3.99. I got no problems with disc divers too, most of the ones here call the phone numbers if they're there.

I buy used discs at PIA sometimes. Usually just overstable stuff, because understable used discs have a tendancy to be a little flippy.

Last purchase out of the used bin was a 175 KC Pro Roc, bought to replace one that had major wear-and-tear on it. The one I bought had tons of nicks and scratches and a nice big gash in the side, just like my other one.....

....then I hit an ace with it last week!!!

I sell a lot of discs at the PIA. It's really to difficult to remove the name and number and such from a disc that has it on it. Usually I just black it out or something, if not, the buyer will usually take care of that.

Last edited:
What proce range does PIAS sell the discs for?

Yeah it really depends on the condition of the disc. Good ones they'll buy for $2-3 and sell for $6-8. Bad ones they'll buy for $1 or less and sell for $2-3. I had a funny experience recently where I sold a disc to PIAS, later saw a guy playing with it at a local course, but neither I, nor PIAS, nor the guy who bought it, ever erased my name and number from it. So just last week I got a call from a guy that he'd found it, and wanted to know if I wanted it back. I'm not going to drive that far for an old DX disc that I sold to PIAS because I didn't want it, but I told the guy that I may go to the Atlanta Open rounds at East Roswell Park, and if he's there, give me a call. Might be a way to meet someone and share a good story. :)

I ask for all the background info of who sold the discs to the PIAS before I buy them. If I don't see a driver's license in triplicate I call the cops on the PIAS for fencing stolen goods.

How do you triplicate a driver's license? That would be an interesting feat.

I ask for all the background info of who sold the discs to the PIAS before I buy them. If I don't see a driver's license in triplicate I call the cops on the PIAS for fencing stolen goods.

How do you know the disc was stolen and not left behind in a lake or in the woods. I have always called the number on any disc I have ever found, but that is a courtesy I extend to fellow disc golfers. If the disc was not reported stolen is it stolen property?

I buy used discs from them all the time and mark them with the price I paid. If I ever run into the previous owner and they want it back I will gladly sell it to them for what I paid for it. If they lost it and really liked the disc then a small price to get it back would probably not bother them. If they sold it to PIAS then they will probably not want to buy it back for more.

I found this at PIAS. No Name, great condition
disc.JPG

pias in cny

we have had issues with pias in syracuse,ny. if number is on the disc they need to call it!! can't sell discs that are not yours. it illegal!!!

we have had issues with pias in syracuse,ny. if number is on the disc they need to call it!! can't sell discs that are not yours. it illegal!!!

I sold two discs today with my number on it.

I would imagine they take a sharpie and cross over it. I saw several with such in the used discs pile.

They do not call people at ours.

I saw one of my T-Birds in there, told the guy, and he did give it back to me.

The other thing I find vaguely shady is that they'll give you a dollar if you "return" a disc, they are supposedly calling people...but I have my doubts.

Once I get my first paycheck for my new job I'm buying tons of broken in plastic. For some reason the "break-in" period doesn't have the magic it once did. I just want to play, not wait.