• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Utility Approach Disc

chris540

Par Member
Hey all,

I carry a small bag and like to keep my molds to a minimum when possible. I'm looking for a disc for those shots inside 200 feet.

I would like it to be able to handle short anny and hyzers.

I have been throwing an ION and a beat Wizard for this shot. I would like one disc to replace the duo.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Chris540

All kinds of discs can do this really well. XD, Fuse, Anode, Spike, Dart, Voodoo. Anything putter to short-mid with relatively neutral stability will do great...whatever feels good in your hand. If you need the hyzers to hook harder or in mild winds, get something with a tick more stability.

Another vote for the aviar.

But I also use an anode for approaches through foliage.

Either one would be a good choice :)

If you can throw sidearm, I would suggest a zone. very overstable, but an awesome utility disc and really easy to flick.

The putters he already uses work great for sidearms.

An Anode would feel similar to the Ion except for the bottom of the wing where its flatter and lacks a bead, and should be the stability you want. Plenty of other choices if you end up not being happy with an Anode.

You think about trying a Focus? I know they don't get as much attention on these forums, but their middle-ground stability allows for decent annys and slight hyzers. I have a soft focus that I've really been enjoying for any drive through the woods under 220'. If you're wanting to do anything over your head or sidearm, then I think you should move up to a mid-range. With that said, I'd go with a buzzz. I use it for EVERYTHING. Short rollers, get out of trouble pancake shots, short flicks, anny flicks....if I'm ever in the deep woods and gotta get outa trouble (but haven't found the disc yet), I grab my buzzz before I even start looking, cause I know that's what I'm gonna be throwing.

Zeppelin!

Most underrated disc NOT in regular production...
Glides forever, Zero fade.

easily my most used disc inside of 200ft for ups (unless I have room to put my XG Rhyno out)

I use it for floaty ups, and late turns...
All it takes is a 50% throw and nice snap, and it'll get out to 200' (it'll take it about 30 seconds to get there)

You think about trying a Focus? I know they don't get as much attention on these forums, but their middle-ground stability allows for decent annys and slight hyzers. I have a soft focus that I've really been enjoying for any drive through the woods under 220'. If you're wanting to do anything over your head or sidearm, then I think you should move up to a mid-range. With that said, I'd go with a buzzz. I use it for EVERYTHING. Short rollers, get out of trouble pancake shots, short flicks, anny flicks....if I'm ever in the deep woods and gotta get outa trouble (but haven't found the disc yet), I grab my buzzz before I even start looking, cause I know that's what I'm gonna be throwing.

The Focus is a great disc, but it tends to be slightly overstable out of the box, and I find it hard to hold anny lines. I use mine more shots off the tee up to 230ft. It makes a great driving putter.

I use a beat in Pro D Challenger for my approach shots. I don't use my putter , because its black, and hard to see when thrown far. If it was another color, I would ditch the challenger. I know some of you are saying "Then putt with another color" but this Magnet is nice and seasoned, and it putts damn good so it stays in the bag.

I would recommend using a Soft Magnet. They will hold just about any line you put on them. I use an orange, beat in Soft Magnet for my anny approaches, and my Challenger for any hyzer approaches.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I would rather throw a slower disc harder than a powered down mid range.

I have trouble keeping my beat X Buzzz on an Anny line on very short shots.

I currently putt with an KC Aviar so the P&A Aviar might be a good fit for me.

I might also pick up a Anode just to see what all the hype is about.

Thanks again,

Chris540

I dunno, maybe a Gator. Its not gonna really do annys but it will do S curves, straight to hyzer shots and just hyzers. It also doesnt go far and wont skip much

I use my R-Pro Pig for so many different shots. On my home course, I drive with it on 4 holes in a row, I approach with it 80% of the time, and it's my go-to long putter. I like the predictable fade.

I have been utilizing the Meteor quite a bit for approaches lately, and have been pleased with it. ESP plastic, btw.

Latest posts