• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] V aviar

Is the Hawg actually a release? That one seems to have died on the vine; no real release in sight and if you search for it on Innova's site you get nothing. And let's face it, with the Rhyno and Pig, the Hawg does absolutely nothing new for their putter lineup. The Colt is replacing the XD and CR so there's actually somewhat of a reason for its existence. I thought the Whale was made for Nate Sexton, although maybe that was just a rumor. The Whales I tried didn't feel like an Aviar to me. They had more dome with a higher, more curved shoulder. They felt more like a beaded Magic.

While "V Tech" has always felt like a gimmick, personally I don't mind any company putting out more putter molds. I feel like putter preference is so much down to the feel in your hand that having more of them on the market is never a bad thing. I DON'T feel that way about something like high speed drivers because there's just not much more you can do to improve the situation there within PDGA specs.

Innova needed another putter release this year to sell cheaply into players packs. Colt, Whale and Hawg weren't enough already.

While technically the Colt is a Putt & Approach, it really is more of an approach/slow mid disc. You can putt with it (but heck, you can putt with a Destroyer if you really want to), but IMHO it was meant to be an approach/mid type of disc.

While "V Tech" has always felt like a gimmick, personally I don't mind any company putting out more putter molds. I feel like putter preference is so much down to the feel in your hand that having more of them on the market is never a bad thing. I DON'T feel that way about something like high speed drivers because there's just not much more you can do to improve the situation there within PDGA specs.

IMHO the V-Tech is not really a gimmick. It does add down-the-middle stability. I have a Wombat and a Colt. I've waxed eloquent enough in the Colt thread about how straight flying/super-stable the Colt is (I can't even get a good hyzer line out of it :( ).

So, it will be interesting to see what the V-Aviar is...

I'm guessing these will be very similar to a DGA Steady since the Steady has a convex lower wing and bead and near identical specs.

v-tech kicks in at high rpm flight yo

633492515165500232-vtec.jpg

^^lol^^ can't even count how many cars I smacked in my honda. Plenty of power before vetch, especially when I let the nitrous go!

Innova needed another putter release this year to sell cheaply into players packs. Colt, Whale and Hawg weren't enough already.

A team player told me the Hawg was a one and done deal. He asked for more shortly after receiving some testers, and was told they were out, with no plans to do another run.

A team player told me the Hawg was a one and done deal. He asked for more shortly after receiving some testers, and was told they were out, with no plans to do another run.

That's so weird. I'm sure it takes quite a bit of money to design and produce a new mold. Why would you suddenly stop? Wouldn't they have to patent the mold design and then try and make as much money as they can while the patent (although lasts for many years) is on?

Unless the mold injector machine thing exploded and they don't want to replace it?

Innova only ever owned 2 patents on discs I believe and I don't think they were for specific molds. Specific disc molds aren't patentable AFAIK. The patent numbers you see on Innova discs are the same for every disc that has them.

It does cost a lot to make new mold pieces, but possibly the Hawg was made by reusing our combining pieces from other molds and it never had its own pieces anyway. That would be my guess at least.

That's so weird. I'm sure it takes quite a bit of money to design and produce a new mold. Why would you suddenly stop? Wouldn't they have to patent the mold design and then try and make as much money as they can while the patent (although lasts for many years) is on?

Unless the mold injector machine thing exploded and they don't want to replace it?

The Hawg was a franken-mold from existing pieces. Rhyno top, Whale bottom. AKA the "V-tech Rhyno". So its not like they spend any extra money on to run those. It sold out fast enough, but I guess they didn't think it deserved another go.

Could be similar to the Discmania P1x. Not sure if the bottom mold is really Vtech but it kinda feels that way. It also flies very straight. Almost no high speed turn and very little fade. It's a killer putter that has been overshadowed by the P2 in Discmania's lineup.

Latest posts