• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

VA Courses / Sunset

Therealgoat

Par Member
I'll be making a work trip to Richmond, VA next week, but flying to/out of DCA (Washington).

I may have time post-meeting/pre-flight to get a round in somewhere, and was hoping any of you that live in the area can help.

I'm wondering what the daylight is like there in the evening - how late can you play this time of year? This will influence my course decision.

Off 95 on the way back from Richmond to Washington, I'll drive by The Blockhouse, and was going to try to play Sunnyside in Spotsylvania, but I might not be able to get there until 4:30PM, and I'm not sure that gives me enough daylight to get a round in.

If I don't have the time, I might try Bryan Park right in Richmond, as I'll have that extra hour of no travel to get a round in before dusk. For reference, I'm hoping to be done with my meeting by 3:30pm that day, in Richmond.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

With the time change, expect unplayable dark no later than 1800. Tiki may still be possible if you contact Blockhouse ahead of time. The Blockhouse is pretty far off the interstate, and traffic in both directions can be a wild card at best. Bryan is a pleasant park-style course. Loriella, near Fredericksburg, is probably a little better overall but again you may run into daylight issues.

You are probably safest on your time concerns going to Bryan. Don't take chances with DC area traffic- it is some of the worst anywhere. You have to allow yourself extra time just in case.

there are really no good courses around the DC metro area...seneca creek north of DC in maryland is legit...but not on your travel path.

Thread Bump. Traveling to VA again next week, flying into Richmond but probably staying in Lynchburg. I've played Bryan Park twice now so am looking for something else. Deciding between Liberty University (East) or Sandusky Park, both in Lynchburg - anyone care to chime in? It's also suppose to be raining on Monday, anyone know if/how that effects either course?

Thanks.

Which course did you hit up, if any? Sandusky is fun, though perhaps on the short side, plus some holes that may be a bit too close for comfort with neighboring holes.

Next time you're in that neck of the woods, Walnut Creek to the north up Rte. 29 (pretty drive) is one of the best in the state. Same goes for Mayflower and Greenfield via 460, both outside of Roanoke to the west. All worthy of the drive from Lynchburg if time allows.

Latest posts