• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Val Jenkins 4x signature Starfire

You do bring up an interesting point: with all of Innova's Tour Series discs, I am shocked (shocked!) that no one is getting a Tour Series Valkyrie (that I know of). It's a good-selling mold, but instead everyone piles on Teebirds, Leo3s, and Shrykes! C'mon, someone get your name on the Valk!

Hmmm, I think the Valk is a bit of an abandoned mold at this point. It has too much turn and flies too far to be a fairway driver. But if you throw over about 350, it's probably not going to fly as far consistently as something in the speed 11-13 range. Even for people with slower arms, a faster, understable driver like a Star Tern will probably go further than a Valk (although the Valk might be more reliable). And I don't think any pros are putting their names on a tour series discs that they don't bag. I don't know if bagging the disc is a specific requirement for tour series, but most of the time they seem to be discs those players are known for throwing.

Hmmm, I think the Valk is a bit of an abandoned mold at this point. It has too much turn and flies too far to be a fairway driver. But if you throw over about 350, it's probably not going to fly as far consistently as something in the speed 11-13 range. Even for people with slower arms, a faster, understable driver like a Star Tern will probably go further than a Valk (although the Valk might be more reliable). And I don't think any pros are putting their names on a tour series discs that they don't bag. I don't know if bagging the disc is a specific requirement for tour series, but most of the time they seem to be discs those players are known for throwing.

You are right: with all the new discs that have come out in recent years, maybe the Valk has gotten "caught up" and is between some people's ranges. In still surprised that more pro ladies are not carrying and throwing Valks.

And to confirm what you're saying in a mirror-image kind of way: they may not be required to bag their tour series sig disc, but it would do much for their sales if they weren't bagging that mold...

Have you thrown a recently run Valk? I purchased four Stars and two Champs (and a bunch of DX but that's another story) and they all have some meat to them fresh. Not overstable but I was putting them near 450' with minimal turn. 375' on some tight holes and the fade was apparent. Thrown next to some older 4x JKs that are 6ish/10 it was obvious that these discs were new, but also made me consider the possibility they'd be beefier than a 10/10 4x. Difficult to compare a used and kind of abused PLH to one fresh off the press:|

I agree it's abandoned, but shouldn't be. Hell...most of DGCR would benefit from only throwing them as a distance driver and nothing faster. Valks has a magical cruise to them and just take off.

Now for my question, why did I stop throwing them for so many years? :wall:

Have you thrown a recently run Valk? I purchased four Stars and two Champs (and a bunch of DX but that's another story) and they all have some meat to them fresh. Not overstable but I was putting them near 450' with minimal turn. 375' on some tight holes and the fade was apparent. Thrown next to some older 4x JKs that are 6ish/10 it was obvious that these discs were new, but also made me consider the possibility they'd be beefier than a 10/10 4x. Difficult to compare a used and kind of abused PLH to one fresh off the press:|

I agree it's abandoned, but shouldn't be. Hell...most of DGCR would benefit from only throwing them as a distance driver and nothing faster. Valks has a magical cruise to them and just take off.

Haha, I wasn't trying to say they were bad discs at all. Valks are great. My very first golf disc was a Star Valk, and I still have it. I just think the mold has been mostly abandoned by the general throwing public because they fall into a sort of magical no-man's land of discs that fly like a distance driver but don't have a wide enough rim to be considered a "modern" distance driver (whatever that means) in most players' bags. You're making me want to go out and buy a new Star Valk to mess around with now... :)

Hell, I should probably bag nothing higher speed than PDs and OLSs(or my newfound friend, the Volt). Not a huge fan of wide rims on discs.

Can someone tell me the difference between the OLS and Valk. Do they share the same wing?

REVIVE -

So back in the day I had a couple starfires (before flight #s and before you even had a clue what it should fly like)

It flew awesome, had good grip and true flight - straight- slight turn- reliable fade, just went GOOD.

Of course years go by and I haven't used a starfire for a while - I've been looking for a speed 10 control disc that is stable but not super OS, just a straight power flier that can be used for everything. I revisitied the Starfire and totally had nostalgia and rememeber WHY I loved this disc so much.

With Vals new sig disc I think its putting life back in it. I just ordered a couple 165g ones to hopefully have a more neutral flight.

anyone else digging the starfire still?

REVIVE -

So back in the day I had a couple starfires (before flight #s and before you even had a clue what it should fly like)

It flew awesome, had good grip and true flight - straight- slight turn- reliable fade, just went GOOD.

Of course years go by and I haven't used a starfire for a while - I've been looking for a speed 10 control disc that is stable but not super OS, just a straight power flier that can be used for everything. I revisitied the Starfire and totally had nostalgia and rememeber WHY I loved this disc so much.

With Vals new sig disc I think its putting life back in it. I just ordered a couple 165g ones to hopefully have a more neutral flight.

anyone else digging the starfire still?

With Val leaving for Discraft, there was never much excitement generated for Val 4x Starfires. I got one at the time, and if I were to bag it I'd use it as many here use Firebirds.

I did like the commemorative Val 4x Star SLs (a.k.a. Starfire-L) that Innova put out, and stocked up on them and F2 Star SLs (via Infinite Discs). I'm bagging one now, and continue to love it.

With Val leaving for Discraft, there was never much excitement generated for Val 4x Starfires. I got one at the time, and if I were to bag it I'd use it as many here use Firebirds.

I did like the commemorative Val 4x Star SLs (a.k.a. Starfire-L) that Innova put out, and stocked up on them and F2 Star SLs (via Infinite Discs). I'm bagging one now, and continue to love it.

SL is criminally underrated. I have one that I'll use in my travel bag, they are too close to beat OLFs for me to have one in the main bag. I love how they hyzer flip to dead straight with finish both BH and FH. Pro Starfires are the only SLs I have thrown, I should get a F2 Star sometime.

I don't know if they used old molds, but all the 4X Vals I've seen have patent #'s on the back of them. That mean it's easy to order a 4X and be confident it's a nice flat stable run that flies nice.
I have one star starfire x-out without the patent #'s and it's a domey, understable mess.
I have a champ starfire without patent numbers and it's also domier than a #'d one or a 4x, but champ plastic helps it be overstable.
I basically throw the starfire for shots a lot of people throw Thunderbirds or PDs or other things of that ink, it's a little faster but I find the rim/wing much more comfortable.

I don't know if they used old molds, but all the 4X Vals I've seen have patent #'s on the back of them. That mean it's easy to order a 4X and be confident it's a nice flat stable run that flies nice.
I have one star starfire x-out without the patent #'s and it's a domey, understable mess.
I have a champ starfire without patent numbers and it's also domier than a #'d one or a 4x, but champ plastic helps it be overstable.
I basically throw the starfire for shots a lot of people throw Thunderbirds or PDs or other things of that ink, it's a little faster but I find the rim/wing much more comfortable.

After Val won her 4th title, Innova stamped her 4x sig on existing discs and put 'em up for sale to reduce inventory, so that's why you're seeing the patent numbers.