• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Millennium] Vela

Stull debating on getting one, especially as the social media algorithm has been hitting me hard with these today. Was kind of hoping this would be an actual EXP replacement, but doesn't sound like it.

On one hand, this thread does make it seem like a really good, useful disc. On the other, I am in no hurry to replace my Rivals as my fairway of choice and am still searching for that speed 6-7 really OS disc to replace the loss of the Champion Banshee

I picked up a Q Vela at a local shop. Orange, 168 which was as heavy as I could find.

At that weight, I'd say the stamped numbers are pretty close. I could see max weight being a tick more stable.

I birdied a pin position Ive never birdied before with a forehand on my first throw with it. I got pretty stuck on the forehand flight, and realized at the end of the round I'd only thrown it forehand. It does forehand what the JLS does for me backhand. Straight w/ some turn, low fade. Its a great compliment to my OLFs which seem to work similar enough backhand and forehand.

I'll try backhand when it cools off this weekend, but I'll probably pick up a halo with the pretty boat on it since it does exactly what I want on forehands.

I'll try backhand when it cools off this weekend, but I'll probably pick up a halo with the pretty boat on it since it does exactly what I want on forehands.

I've heard that the halos are more overstable.

My 163 quantum has become my most thrown driver. If I'm throwing a driver theres a 50% chance its a vela. It's the perfect stability for woods golf. Little bit of turn followed by a gentle fade. Just enough fade to pull out of an anny, but not so much you end up in the brush to the left on a straight shot.

We're supposed to have some Helio Velas at our master's tourney this weekend, I'll probably grab one.

The Q's are nice but I prefer a worn, mellow Eagle. I've accumulated several flattish glows over the years that are my workhorse fairways.

I've heard that the halos are more overstable.
Good point. Maybe I'll stick to Q's for now, esp. since I'm having trouble finding boat stamped Helios in plastic / foil combinations that dont sting the eyeballs.

Eagles have been in my bag since I started playing. They are perfect for line shaping. I never could consistently make mine fly like Calvin though. For me a vela flies like Calvin's eagles, just 200' shorter and way less accurate.

The Vela is probably a bit more stable than I gave it credit for - my forehand is just that bad.

I tried some backhand golf lines and its a fun disc, but I confirmed that I cant throw magic 500 ft calvin lines through tight woods. It did make me want to practice low S curve and flex lines though. I could probably use something that stays over a little longer. Maybe my seasoned OLFs will work.

Got some more throws in recently with the blue 175g 1.1 Q Vela recently (first contact stamp). Definitely more 7/5/-1/2 and can shape some lines holding the angle of release for BH. Probably pushing out to 360' to 380' and I've been liking it for flex shots that hold over longer than my other Barsby Eagles (probably most similar to the 2021 Barsby Star TS Eagle stability) and has more stability than my Star TL3s I typically have ITB.

I do like the 7 speed Eagle/Teebird X wing more so maybe these will take over for the Star TL3 eventually. Hopefully Millennium put out some Metal flake or Luster run to get a bit more stiffness and mimic the flat Champion Eagles that Heimburg throws so much.

Held the newest run of the Q's and they are nice.

Mellow dome and great plastic.

Bit of flashing around the outer edge though.

I'm not much for messing around with new driver molds. I carry 5ish OLFs, and have for years. When I added Star Thunderbirds, it was only to get a more overstable driver that feels as close to an OLF as possible.

But this Vela! Hot damn.

Who'da thunked that flat Eagles would be so great?

Oh, right.

Millennium just dropped some quantum lunar glow velas on their site, they even have some in the low 160's! Usually the awesome stuff is max weight.

By accounts, these Color Glow Velas are less overstable than their champ counterparts, off the shelf. I'd like to see some MORE overstable Velas.

Ordered a pair of USDGC Eagle stamped 170-172 LQ Velas to try out in the slot I usually throw Star TL3s. I'm guessing they will be similar stability to the CG MF C-blend Exodus I've tried which are also really nice and straight.

I don't know if we will see higher PLH come out of the Eagle mold without a stiff plastic blend. Recent Champion plastics have been softer blends. The flat top post processing needed to 'make' the Vela is dropping the glide & stability that the dome typically adds to the Eagle mold while adding a slight bit of speed. Lower glide reduces time in air at the end of the flight when low speed fade would be kicking in.

By accounts, these Color Glow Velas are less overstable than their champ counterparts, off the shelf. I'd like to see some MORE overstable Velas.
I've been throwing a color glow Vela that I bought recently (love the stamp, it is Calvin as the vitruvian man on top of a pizza!) and agree that they are quite a bit less stable than the quantum velas that I have. I would love to see a truly overstable run of these come out. For newer Eagle/vela runs, if you can find a flat color glow halo Barsby Eagle they are money. That is my new go to. The domey ones are fine, but the flat ones are really good.

Helio Velas are definitely more OS than the 2 Qs I have. About half of the ones I dug through at a tourney payout had a gross dome though, not what I'm looking for in a Eagle/Vela. Agree that the Barsby CG are money. Not particularly OS but pretty perfect.

The stock Climo CG Eagles are pretty beefy, I'm bagging one along with my last Barsby CG.

Went to the store for some reason again, there were no max weight Q Velas last time. This time there was a matching pair of pink max weight Q Velas and the feel in the hand is "cheating". Had to buy them. I am doubling down on Eagle molds even though I have TB3s in the chamber.

So I felt up a LQ (CG) Vela yesterday and immediately gave them my money. A freaking flat top CG Eagle, what's not to love?

Plastic is firm, not the softer recent stuff. Definitely flat with a little shoulder, feels awesome. Parting line is a little higher than the quantums I have, I suspect it will be a little more OS. Most of the weights were in the 170 range too, another plus in my book.

So I felt up a LQ (CG) Vela yesterday and immediately gave them my money. A freaking flat top CG Eagle, what's not to love?

Plastic is firm, not the softer recent stuff. Definitely flat with a little shoulder, feels awesome. Parting line is a little higher than the quantums I have, I suspect it will be a little more OS. Most of the weights were in the 170 range too, another plus in my book.
I like mine a lot. Consensus is the Helio are the most OS and the Lunar Q are a bit more manageable stability.

7/4/-0.5/1.5 kind of flight for me (172g), very straight with a slight forward fade at the end. Can be powered over to hold an anhyzer nearly to the ground. Not great into any significant headwind but handles other wind directions fine.

Got a 168 blue quantum with no flashing that flies like a proper eagle, small turn that helps it hold straight with a wicked finish. Same PLH and flight as my color glow barsby. Interestingly enough, my max weight yellow quantum vela has a lower plh by a good bit. Will update when i get back out to throw that one, it lines up with my most beat innfuse star eagle so hoping for a similar flight out of the box. ~300 feet on a decent throw for the barsby/blue vela, get closer to 320/330 on the beat in eagle for reference

Latest posts