• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Very controllable speed 8-12 driver.

arodsteezy

Par Member
So, I have a gap in my bag between my teebirds/patriots and my forces. I would like to fill it with a control driver that can can shape lines unlike my forces. Something with low hst but a gentle fade. Any ideas? What do you guys throw?

I use the DD Escape for this. It will usually glide forward for a long time and then barely fade at the very end.

I have saints in the bag for this reason...fits right in between my teebirds and trespasses. I dont really like using distance drivers in tighter woods, so that's when the saints come out the most. I can cover anything from 330-400' with these. I do have a saint pro if there's some wind or I need something to stable out faster for me. The saint pro is just a longer, glidier 12x teebird for me.

I have saints in the bag for this reason...fits right in between my teebirds and trespasses. I dont really like using distance drivers in tighter woods, so that's when the saints come out the most. I can cover anything from 330-400' with these. I do have a saint pro if there's some wind or I need something to stable out faster for me. The saint pro is just a longer, glidier 12x teebird for me.
I love the Saint Pro, Saint, Fury combo!
These are the discs I use most.

It is a very good idea to search for what you are searching for. I have chosen the Beast to fill this role in my bag. I used to use a Wraith as my do everything high speed driver but got wise and realized how much better it is to have both OS and controlled high speeds. I have a 169g Champion and a 172 GStar. Both of theses Beasts are only a few weeks in and I can only give you impressions of their current status. Both have gentle fades but more HSS than the numbers indicate. I have been told repeatedly that the Beast will lose that HSS and match up with it's flight numbers in time. I find it a great compliment to my Destroyers. Lots of plastics and weights to chose from with the Beast. Very comfortable FH and BH.

I also enjoy how easy it is to shape lines with a Valkyrie.

Which plastic do you prefer for this? The Champ (175g) I've thrown had basically zero turn when brand new and the Gstars (168g) i put almost right on the flight numbers. I'm bagging the Gstar currently as more of a turnover disc to compliment my PDs until I beat in my P-line a bit more.

So to answer the OP: P-PD and Valk. :)

Valks shape better lines than my PD's. I bag a Gstar currently. In place of my older star valk. I like the gstar better.

hmmm you guys aren't making this easy. Like the pd idea as I could get a range of stable-understable but I don't know how well it would preform in line shaping situations. Flipping up, over and holding without rolling for example. I have used to have a valk for this in the past, great disc.

hmmm you guys aren't making this easy. Like the pd idea as I could get a range of stable-understable but I don't know how well it would preform in line shaping situations. Flipping up, over and holding without rolling for example. I have used to have a valk for this in the past, great disc.

i use a sw for this and i carry a pd

it has less bite at the end of its flight and finishes straighter. real handy up in the tight minnesota woods. never been to wisconsin but im sure its somewhat similar

It sounds like you could use a MVP Amp.

It will give you the lower HSS you're looking for, and not have that strong of a fade. It is also great for laser straight shots, or easy hyzer flips, depending on your arm.

You could also go with the Discmania Craze. It's billed as their control driver and I believe the numbers are -1,2 and it's the same speed as the PD but you'll probably find it much more workable new for shaping shots. A non plus C line TD would be an option as well if you prefer champ type plastic.

This may sound silly, but I use beat to death DX Firebirds for this. Tons of turn and decent glide with a reliable fade.

I use a ESP Surge. Basically goes where you put it, it bends US but always finishes stable. (unless you really turn it over or its windy) Also I use a Star Valk 175g, its pretty stable and can be given power but fades back. I like it a lot.

Dynamic Lucid Escape. Speed 9, killer plastic and you dont need crush ability like you do to get the PD real distance.

I like to use the Orion Long Fade (OLF) from Millennium. I pair it with a Motion and a lighter, beat Volt. I use this trio for most of my drives. It's gotta be a pretty long hole for me to tap into my Terns or Giants.

Valks shape better lines than my PD's. I bag a Gstar currently. In place of my older star valk. I like the gstar better.
I love Valks for shaping lines that are too subtle for my Destroyers. P-PDs are a good option but Star Valks last a lot longer. The new Gstars feel a whole lot like the old champy stars I have. I can put the Valk out almost as far as my Destroyers.

Sl and rogue are pretty controllable. I settled with the sl in champ or star plastic. It covers many shots and I get decent rollers out of it. It fits perfectly in between my my sidewinder and destroyer. Out of the box it will need to be worked in a bit.

Last edited:

Latest posts