• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

If Vibram is in fact changing the name it would really impress me. It would show they really do listen to their customers.

If Vibram is in fact changing the name it would really impress me. It would show they really do listen to their customers.

Basically, there's no such thing as bad name, EXCEPT the name that hurts you with your clientele. This name falls into that category. I'd change it, for sure. Quick to bed, quick to rise, if you will.

I'd suspect this is less about the name in relation to disc golf and more about the fact that Vibram is a very large company that does more than just disc golf. Someone high up probably made the call on this.

Vibram Disc Golf is a subsidiary of Vibram. Perhaps Vibram had some say in the change. Maybe Vibram doesn't want to get into politics and just wants to make a great product.

Anyone else notice Steve's defense of the name blog has been removed from the Vibram site?

I noticed that as well and thought it was interesting. I wonder if some of the higher-ups in Vibram caught wind of this and kaput it.

o-Lace

I'm really impressed with this disc. This is the FIRST overstable distance driver I have been able to throw with some consistency. I find myself discing up with this disc in stiff headwinds. The o-Lace is very reliable, very consistent. The fade is a lot more manageable than other distance drivers, because it doesn't drop like-a-rock. This proves to be an important feature, because discs fade faster in headwinds. This disc is definitely fast though too! Don't get me wrong. It's speed 13, according to infinite discs! That's very fast! Make sure you're using a sturdy power-grip or your firmest forehand grip for this disc! Very fast, like the Lace!

I'm liking my Laces for everything from a mild fading finish to long turnovers, but they don't handle headwinds well. I've been considering picking up an O-Lace myself for that purpose. I won a World in a giveaway that I've been trying out for that role, but its rim is uncomfortably big even in my sizable hands, and it's a little too beefy for my ~350' of power. Does the O-Lace feel similar to the Lace in the hand? I'm guessing a low 160s O-Lace would be the perfect complement to my arsenal of Laces (a worn in Medium for turnovers, a perfectly workable 166 Medium, and a 171 Medium for more fade). Now all I need is the cash to try one out. :p

i think the o-lace feels better in the hand and it is not that much beefier then the lace but enough to to handle more wind.

I'm liking my Laces for everything from a mild fading finish to long turnovers, but they don't handle headwinds well. I've been considering picking up an O-Lace myself for that purpose. I won a World in a giveaway that I've been trying out for that role, but its rim is uncomfortably big even in my sizable hands, and it's a little too beefy for my ~350' of power. Does the O-Lace feel similar to the Lace in the hand? I'm guessing a low 160s O-Lace would be the perfect complement to my arsenal of Laces (a worn in Medium for turnovers, a perfectly workable 166 Medium, and a 171 Medium for more fade). Now all I need is the cash to try one out. :p

Same feel. Why I think naming it that was a good idea, because it describes what the disc is like. Over-stable lace. Basically, the o-Lace has less of a dome than the Lace or the unlace. It feels great, but it's also very fast, like the Lace. Very, very, very fast disc.

Just want to give some kudos to Dana. Played an event he ran yesterday and attended a clinic he put on for an ISU Parks and Rec class on Thursday. He did a great job at both. He's a class act and a great ambassador for Vibram and Disc Golf as a whole. I am happy to support a company that supports a person like that!

Also, shout out to the unLace. Finally got my hands on a production run a few weeks ago and that disc is getting a lot of use! Extremely long for me, I can also trust it to flip up, responds great to different power on the throw, and controllable for a high speed driver. That being said, a slightly more stable unLace would fit my bag great, did the Glow unLace come out with more stability than a normal production run like most of the molds?

I agree with this comment.

I talked with my local Vibram Pinnacle Retailer yesterday and he said that they were changing the name but they ran about 1000 with the Four20 name on it. You had better believe they will be collectors items. I think he had about 8 of them left and was selling them for $20, a few dollar higher than I would normally expect to pay for Vibram from him.

Just want to give some kudos to Dana. Played an event he ran yesterday and attended a clinic he put on for an ISU Parks and Rec class on Thursday. He did a great job at both. He's a class act and a great ambassador for Vibram and Disc Golf as a whole. I am happy to support a company that supports a person like that!

I have met Dana and several other Vibram sponsored players and I would say the high quality of people is true across the board.

Also, shout out to the unLace. Finally got my hands on a production run a few weeks ago and that disc is getting a lot of use! Extremely long for me, I can also trust it to flip up, responds great to different power on the throw, and controllable for a high speed driver. That being said, a slightly more stable unLace would fit my bag great, did the Glow unLace come out with more stability than a normal production run like most of the molds?

Yeah, if you have an unLace, try to practice your rollers, because I've used those a lot on courses with low canopies... a little less anhyzer angle into a headwind.

I finally figured out how the throw the Unlace this weekend and now it is my goto turnover disc. I kept trying to put some anhyser and expect it to hold when all I had to do was throw it with hyzer then it turned very nicely. It's a whole new world. :)

Latest posts