• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Great info! Thank you all. I have a Trak. I'll have to use it off the tee a little to see what happens.

I'd go with the Trak, because a speed 7 is twice as consistent for newer players as a speed 14 (which would be the Lace). It will also go just as far as the Lace, if you're a newer player.

The unLace is difficult to master, but it might help to throw stand-stills with for a while. You'll pushing it out there without having it turning over, as much. Stand stills are how you improve before you start tackling the run-up, cross-step, and heel-pivot.

I agree with you guys that he is better off in the long run with a Trak but there will be a learning curve if he is use to throwing a Speed 13/14 unLace. A quick fix would be a lighter weight Lace.

I agree with you guys that he is better off in the long run with a Trak but there will be a learning curve if he is use to throwing a Speed 13/14 unLace. A quick fix would be a lighter weight Lace.

The unLace is a tricky one, because according to Vibram you only need to throw it 44 mph, which is slower than their mid-ranges. It will fly faster and farther than their mid-ranges with some practice, however it'll fly straight when thrown at slower speeds, such as stand-still throws. I use it to practice LHBH throws.

The unLace is a tricky one, because according to Vibram you only need to throw it 44 mph, which is slower than their mid-ranges. It will fly faster and farther than their mid-ranges with some practice, however it'll fly straight when thrown at slower speeds, such as stand-still throws. I use it to practice LHBH throws.

What is the ideal MPH for the Trak and Lace?

What is the ideal MPH for the Trak and Lace?

50 mph and 50 mph. That's the tricky part of learning a new numbering system: it's deceiving if you're thinking in terms of Innova, which has the speed the disc flies at. Vibram goes by what is the slowest you can throw the disc to make it fly its intended flight path. The Lace is a speed 14, because it has a wide-rim and it flies faster as a consequence, but it's also kind of understable, so you don't need the power to get it to fly correctly. Kind of weird to wrap your head around...

Seems like a mute-point, given that the Trak is the same 50 mph, but it has a smaller rim, which is easier to grip for newer players, and it flies slower in the air, making it easier to shape a line with. Also, the Trak will quickly beat-in and fly more understable.

Traks tend to be slightly overstable new, but they'll beat-in quite-a-bit. Laces will do the same, but it's a longer even arduous process for newer players.

I know this is a very long stretch but looking for Vibram collectibles. Original Chunks, bumble boots etc..

You can spend a lot of dough in a hurry on collectibles. Feel free to join the VDG Collector's group. Your best best bet is to keep your eyes peeled. As an example of this, I came across a proto-VP all-black with sunken in top... I had the opportunity to buy it for fairly cheap, but I didn't. This happened at the VBB in my area... Valleys are going to be released soon, so those are first runs, are they not? I've ordered one already, so that should add to my collection. Looking to pick up a Notch and an Arch, but I'll probably wait until my league gets custom stamped discs.

Floaters

Seen a post on the Facebook site for Vibram floaters! This is a pretty exciting development, especially considering what's available currently for floaters is pretty lack-luster (that's an understatement)!

At first, I boohooed the idea of Vibram floaters, but now I've seen the response they've gotten, and now I'm pretty excited myself. I can think of a few places where I would've liked to have had one in the bag.

Lace or Trak would be nice in a floater...

This is the truth - the hyzer angle of release needs to be accurate to within a degree or two for this thing to bomb. When it happens, I strut down the fairway to birdie out.

More often than not, I slink to my disc and hope for par.

It's the easiest disc to throw far as long as you SLOW your throw. If you try to force it down the fairways you'll be picking up a short roller more times than not.

I started a thread elsewhere about this. Then I found this thread and figured this is a better place for my question.
I'm looking to replicate my current bag with an all vibram bag. So far I've picked up an unlace and an obex.

Here's what I throw. Advice on which vibrams to use would be appreciated.

Wizard
Buzz
Leopard
Gazelle
Wraith
Firebird

I started a thread elsewhere about this. Then I found this thread and figured this is a better place for my question.
I'm looking to replicate my current bag with an all vibram bag. So far I've picked up an unlace and an obex.

Here's what I throw. Advice on which vibrams to use would be appreciated.

Wizard
Buzz
Leopard
Gazelle
Wraith
Firebird

Given the limited number of molds with Vibram:

Firebird - Ascent. Actually pretty close.
Wraith - ???. Vibram is 2.4 Laces, 1.8 fairways, and nothing in between. Wraith would be hard to replicate until they come out with new discs.
Leo and Gazelle - both slightly slower than a Trak, which falls in-betwen in terms of stability.
Buzzz - Ibex. Pretty close.
Wizard - none of Vibram's putters are as deep as a Wizard, but Sole is probably closest flight-wise.

Vibram is reworking their fairways, so this is subject to change with Valley, etc.

Vibram's rubber flies differently, and it will beat-in differently than most plastics, but this seems to be agreed upon among Vibram throwers:

Wizard = Ridge, mostly because the Ridge is the driving putter of the bunch, has a bead... comparisons end there, because the Ridge is a flat-top putter with a shallow rim
Firebird = Notch, recently PDGA approved, so it's unreleased yet. Ascent is more similar to a TeeBird or an Eagle in terms of speed and stability
Wraith = o-Lace, o-Lace has flight ratings of 13 4 0 4 where a Wraith is 11 5 -1 3.
Gazelle =
Buzzz = Ibex. Ibex is a better Buzzz, in my opinion. Less of a dumpy fade, and it'll hold an anhyzer line very well.
Leopard = Valley. As yet unreleased disc from Vibram. The Trak is faster than a Leopard, and it is more similar to a TeeBird-L or TL.

Now that I'm done blaspheming Vibram I would also add that Vibram is better than each of the molds from Innova, because there are always subtleties and imperfections, which inevitably play into the hands of the more skilled players. :D

Not for Worlds etc. I am unsure about the Vibram Birdie Bash World Championship. Strictly by PDGA rules, the new discs available for the tournament are technically illegal in a sanctioned tournament. The standard is available by retail 30 calendar days before an event.

The Notch, Arch, and Valley were approved by the PDGA in April but have not been released for retail sales.

http://www.pdga.com/files/PDGATechStandards_5-14-14.pdf

The bit about available in retail outlets is in the second paragraph on the second page.

Last edited:
I apologize, I misspoke. Missed the edit window to clean up my mistake.

The Notch, Arch, and Valley will be legal in the Vibram Birdie Bash World Championship. The 30 days available by retail only applies to PDGA World Championships.

I'm usually not one to sing the praise of a specific disc. It's more Indian than arrow, I know that, and I have a bad habit of not replacing a lost disc with the same mold (except for my Leopards - I think I'll always bag one of those).

But I am really attached to my unLace. I don't have the arm for big distance, and at 47 I don't see myself developing a 400' arm any time soon. I love my Tesla and the neutron Inertia I used to have, but they can't take the place of the unLace in my bag.

Today I played Paint Creek - great course, punishing rough. Lost my unLace on #6, searched for a LOT longer than normal, and couldn't find it. Played decently (for me) the rest of the round, but every so often I'd card a 4 and think "I'd have had a 3 on that one with my unLace." After the round, I did something I never do -- I went back to hole 6 and looked again. Found it, and I could have done cartwheels back to my car. I can honestly say that with that disc in my bag, I am a better disc golfer. Whether it's a great disc or not doesn't matter -- I am more confident with it than my other longer drivers. Tesla for forehand, unLace for backhand. I guess I'd better buy in a few backups :)