• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

So what I find particularly exciting about the release of the unLace and O-Lace (hopefully this year still) is that Vibram now has the middle-of-the-road discs fulled out in all 4 grids in their lineup. Which means...the only discs left are the poles! That is - understable and massively overstable for mids and fwy. I'm sure the next disc they will release will be the massively overstable DD which was the 420 but then after that is what I just mentioned in mids and fwy. That is a pretty cool accomplishment.

Agreed and all counts. :clap:

They are shipping to stores now. Production should be complete within two weeks.

Thank you Mr. Dodge, this is very helpful to know. I'll resist buying a slightly lighter Soft VP with this week's order so I can grab a few max weights in a few weeks. I'll still have some Vibram in that order though: it's about time to grab me an unLace and give it a whirl!

Kudos on the new flight chart by the way; it's a great combination of informative and intuitive.

Thank you Mr. Dodge, this is very helpful to know. I'll resist buying a slightly lighter Soft VP with this week's order so I can grab a few max weights in a few weeks. I'll still have some Vibram in that order though: it's about time to grab me an unLace and give it a whirl!

Kudos on the new flight chart by the way; it's a great combination of informative and intuitive.

+1

The chart is the best around (i guess asking for metric would be too much) :clap:

Any laces coming with the soft rubber? Could be useful for minimal skip and bounce...

+1

The chart is the best around (i guess asking for metric would be too much) :clap:

Any laces coming with the soft rubber? Could be useful for minimal skip and bounce...

Soft Laces and unLaces (in fairly small numbers) are being made. They are the last to be hitting production and should be in stores by the end of Softober.

Threw an all Vibram bag last weekend for fun: Unlace, Ascent, Ibex, Summit. You can cover a lot of shots with just those 4 discs.

Took my unLace on it's maiden voyage last weekend. Color me impressed. I hadn't even test thrown it and I decided to break it out on a very wooded hole for some reason. I guess I saw an opening. Lost track of it going into some bushes I'm familiar with. I was looking for it where I usually end up my buddies found it about 60 feet further. It had cleared the bushes and I had a good look at a 40 foot birdie putt, which I missed of course. We are well into rain season here in the great Pacific Northwest and I'm going to be using a lot of rubbers.

If you look at our flight guide (http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/flight-ratings.html), the placement for the fade and turn numbers is shown on there as well as our initial guesses what the unLace and O-Lace will be.

4504357_orig.jpg

Oooooo, pretty!

I got to field test the 420D and believe we have nailed it. One more round of testing and we will begin production trials. It those go well, we will be able to set a firm release date.

420 - Concept disc that did not work, at all. For fun, we looked at it yesterday and had a good laugh.
420B - Insanely overstable, we decided to tone it down a touch.
420C - We toned it down too close to the Lace (these are the Vibram Open O-Laces)
420D - Initial testing yesterday indicates we got it.

This is the best news I could have heard today! Now I am counting down the days until I have both a 420D and a 420B in the bag.

I am really enjoying the Lace and UnLace.

Help a noob out. According to the chart above I can throw an unLace with less speed (and power?) than a Ibex and get the more distance etc. out of it? I think I am missing something.

Help a noob out. According to the chart above I can throw an unLace with less speed (and power?) than a Ibex and get the more distance etc. out of it? I think I am missing something.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'll try to explain as I understand it and based on my experiences with these discs. The flight patterns on the chart represent optimal performance for the type of player the disc was designed for. The Ibex is a stable to understable disc that takes slightly more speed to follow the line but is forgiving if you don't always hit that "ideal" speed. Underpower it and you get a bit more fade at the end.

Likewise, the unLace by design will fly farther with less speed, allowing players (like me) with slower arm speed to gain more distance in a more understable disc. The key is you are comparing discs with different design goals. The Ibex is a disc that I feel is built for versatility, the unLace a disc built to help players with slower arm speeds achieve greater distance and to be more flippy for players with faster speeds.

I'll wait for Steve Dodge t correct me if I'm off base, but that is my understanding and personal experience. $0.02

The way I read the chart I take it as the unlace is so under stable that in order to throw it relatively straight you actually use less speed than required to keep an ibex on the intended line.

The way I read the chart I take it as the unlace is so under stable that in order to throw it relatively straight you actually use less speed than required to keep an ibex on the intended line.

Thank you for stating what I was trying to say in a simpler and more understandable fashion. :doh: :D

The Lace/unLace or any other high speed driver will be much more prone to flaws in form. While they may have the same 'release speed' of a slower disc (mid/fairway) the angle of release, OAT, and countless other factors will determine if the disc will fly as intended relative to any flight chart. A mid (Ibex) will hide form flaws, fly much more predictably, and follow the 'intended line' for a newer player much better. This is all assuming the disc is able to get up to speed to perform as it was designed to in the first place.

Do people commonly find that the vibram discs (or specifically the lace) beat in really fast, much faster than most discs? I have a 159 gram lace, and while I very briefly loved the disc, in just a month it's become way too under stable to use. Turns over on every shot now. Is this typical?

Latest posts