• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Domey Traks are the most stable Traks. I have a 162g medium that is very domey and it's as stable as a Star Teebird; most stable Trak I've ever thrown.

As for Ascents, I carry three:
174M- Quick, dump left finishes. Doubles as my overstable (more stable than an Obex) mid when powered down.
169F- Primary driving Ascent and wind disc. Very stable, penetrates winds, and fades late and forward.
169M- Been using this disc for almost a year. Thrown flat, it forms a nice S. Thrown anhyzer, it holds the line to the ground. Thrown on a hyzer it flips up and rides straight. Thrown on a deep hyzer, it performs a wonderful sweeping hyzer. A lot of glide for an Ascent but still powers down great. I use this disc to bridge the gap between my mids and fairways. Also, for Obex lines that need to be thrown low.

The only Trak I carry is a beat 159g Firm, mainly for tailwinds. But I'd be fine without it... Ascents are my bread and butter.

So Ascent lovers, how many do you throw. I actually like that this mold beats in kinda quick, I can cover a lot of shots with it in different stages of wear. Do you guys just throw a fresh one for OS stuff or a different mold altogether?

Unfortunately the Ascent is kicking my Trak outta the bag. I have a really light one (162g) that is domey in Firm. That sucker just won't break in to anything that turns more than my beat in Ascent, it possibly is 10' longer or so. Was hoping it would be a hyzer flip/turnover disc after beat in but it just won't beat in! This is even with my field throws in a rock quarry and my home course is pretty rocky.

I can hyzer flip my beat Ascent but the same throw with my Trak just holds that slight hyzer all the way to the ground. Even though it seems beefy the Trak doesnt like headwind much.

Do I just need to try a different Trak or do you guys use something else in that slot. Don't tell Mr. Dodge but I am trying out an Underworld for what I'm looking for (it even feels similar in the hand to an Ascent).

Well, I carry a Trak, a beat Ascent, a newer Ascent, a beat Predator and a newer Predator. I know Vibram will get to making a Predator like disc at some point. The sooner the better. I carry all those discs because they all do different things. My Trak is becoming the slow turnover disc, but still will hold lines. My beat Ascent goes straight forever. The newer Ascent Will fade but the two Predators are more predictable.

Exactly. The Ibex is the disc that everyone claims the Buzzz is. And while the Comet is longer than the Summit, there is definitely overlap; the Summit won out for me because I love jump putting/putting in a strong tailwind with them.

I really like the Ibex, threw a super sick anny line with it this afternoon. A tad bit of head wind and the thing held its line all the way to the ground. Not jsut any ground, but the ground right next to the basket. Ha! I do tend to throw the Obex a tad bit more these days as it is more predictable. The Ibex will flip a tad bit more than I would like in wind conditions.

If you haven't done it in a while, or ever, go throw a putter-only round. Particularly if you're a player like me...Rec level-ish, maxing out around 300ft or less with drivers. You'd likely be amazed (and encouraged!) by how well you do!

This is something I do and something I suggest EVERYONE do. You'd be amazed how much it helps your game to play putter only and mid/putter only rounds.

Following the encouragement of this thread, I bought myself an Ibex this morning (M 170g). I was so in love with the feel of it that I also grabbed a 168g M Trak haha. Oops. I must say, you guys were right. I love these discs already. Only played one round with them, but they either matched or surpassed my XL and Buzzz in every instance (respectively of course). What's more, they don't kick off of trees so hard! Even when I made a mistake with one of the two, I was still at least out of trouble for the most part. With my Z XL and Buzzz, I kick deep into the woods sometimes.

Definitely need to play with them more, but I know that both the Ibex and the Trak will be with me at my first tournament tomorrow. Trak seems to be great for my heavily wooded courses...sneaky long for me too!

Following the encouragement of this thread, I bought myself an Ibex this morning (M 170g). I was so in love with the feel of it that I also grabbed a 168g M Trak haha. Oops. I must say, you guys were right. I love these discs already. Only played one round with them, but they either matched or surpassed my XL and Buzzz in every instance (respectively of course). What's more, they don't kick off of trees so hard! Even when I made a mistake with one of the two, I was still at least out of trouble for the most part. With my Z XL and Buzzz, I kick deep into the woods sometimes.

Definitely need to play with them more, but I know that both the Ibex and the Trak will be with me at my first tournament tomorrow. Trak seems to be great for my heavily wooded courses...sneaky long for me too!

The ibex pushed buzzzes out of my bag (and I'm a buzzz collector!!!). Also, check out a 150-class trak for effortless turnovers and easy distance.

This is something I do and something I suggest EVERYONE do. You'd be amazed how much it helps your game to play putter only and mid/putter only rounds.

There's so much truth to this. I had a rough round at a fairly wooded course today but managed to save my pride by getting birdies on the last two holes because I drove right down the tunnels and under the basket with a Summit. As a matter of fact, all 4 of my birdies today came on holes where I drove with a Summit. Makes me question why I throw drivers sometimes, when I can throw 250 lasers from a slight hyzer with a Summit.

Reminded me how great of a disc the Summit is and made my desire for the Ubex even greater.

Makes me question why I throw drivers sometimes, when I can throw 250 lasers from a slight hyzer with a Summit.
This...so much this. If someone is a 300' thrower (or less), there is so much less distance disparity from putter to mid to driver than someone who can throw 400'. I have a tournament tomorrow for which I'm really considering just bringing the Ridge and Ibex. From my experience, most of the holes I do birdie are putter/mid distance holes anyway, not driver distance ones. There will be a few wide open holes tomorrow for sure, so I'll probably pack a driver of some sort, but I don't think it'll be used very much.

Buying new o- lace(s)

So after the announcement are we thinking we will need to wait until after the V.O. to spend every bit of money I have on them?

So after the announcement are we thinking we will need to wait until after the V.O. to spend every bit of money I have on them?

Yes. Mr. dodge sent the models to the PDGA to get them approved. Production at the factory on the other hand is a different story. At Am Worlds Mr. Dodge told me he was hoping for a pre VO release. That is if he bothered the guys in production enough to make it happen. Note that the announcement came on June 25th, prior to my conversation with him. Mr. Dodge has also previously posted in this thread that his efforts have hit a snag and it is looking like the discs will not be released until after the VO, but no clear answer as to when exactly.

Of late, I've been throwing my Trak as my putter. Son of a gun if I can't put it exactly where I want. I've been using it to seriously improve my short game. It's my go to approach disc. I don't have any other disc that does the same.
I can honestly say it's saved me strokes off of my game.

I wonder though, how durable it'll be compared to my Summit.

BAM, first Vibram Ace!

174 M "Watermelon" Ibex on Eagle's Edge #8 (Brooklyn Park, MN) So stoked to hit my second ace ever, this time with rubber! :thmbup:

Even weirder (or ironic, maybe?) is that literally the second I was going to tee-off, I hear the crash of chains behind me (hole #7's basket) and some excited screaming that turns into disappointment... Poor guy had a splash-out ace...

I guess the ace karma skipped off of #7 and landed on #8 where I was - I'll take it! :p

Of late, I've been throwing my Trak as my putter. Son of a gun if I can't put it exactly where I want. I've been using it to seriously improve my short game. It's my go to approach disc. I don't have any other disc that does the same.
I can honestly say it's saved me strokes off of my game.

I wonder though, how durable it'll be compared to my Summit.

I putted with my soft Ibex for a long time....still do on those risky side hill holes with roll-away potential. All other P&A is done with my Summit/VP combo.

As for durability, as long as you're not hitting every tree (or parking lot) on the course it should hold up well. They do get US as they break in so be aware of that when using it for approach or driving duties. As a general rule, mediums stay true longer, firms break in quicker. Once they get to the break-in 'sweet-spot', they are golden for a long time.

174 M "Watermelon" Ibex on Eagle's Edge #8 (Brooklyn Park, MN) So stoked to hit my second ace ever, this time with rubber! :thmbup:
Awesome man! Congratulations!

I just got back from playing a round with a buddy. He's the chucker type, only carries 2 discs (Force and Xcal), OATflicks everything, even putts with those drivers. Good guy though, doesn't score too bad, and fun to play with. So I decided to just carry two discs, do a putter only round, and work out some kinks in my form.

So I just took out a 173g F VP and 173g F Summit. It was a blast! I was loving the Summit; throwing ~250' lasers all day off the tee. Watching a putter fly is a thing of beauty. And it was rather rewarding to outdrive my Force-flicking buddy on just about every hole and the ones I didn't, he was off in trouble and I was sitting right in the middle of the fairway. Ended up shooting a +3 which is right in the normal range for my home course scores. Plus, if I would have made some putts in my "should-make" range, I could have easily been even or down a stroke or two.

In short, it was a fun round that really made me reevaluate my disc selection/course management and truly appreciate what my putters (especially the Summit which has been more of just an utility disc in my bag) can do.

Latest posts