• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Just take a big bowl of ice water the disc should be able to sit in the bowl with out touching the ice water. Then take boiling water and put it in the disc (the disc should be in the bowl upside down) the cold water in the bottom of the bowl and the boiling hot water in the disc will create suction making it get a dome again. After it got ran over you ended up with an indent causing it to fly like that now. Of yeah don't let it sit to long in the bowl do it in small increments or you could destroy the disc. 15 min should be all you need.

Is mr.Dodge just trolling with the all rubber (or was it plastic?) basket?
This is something he mentioned at livestream on the vibram open, also the o-lace should be out in october.

Wait, an all rubber basket?! Oh dear lord, I want it to be true just to watch the DG world burn from the freak out.

Hey guys. I've been reading around on here for a bit and decided to join the fun.

First off let me say I'm not trying to start a bash fest or whatever although... this is the internet and people are people.

I picked up a 168 F lace about a month or so ago and outa the box I tossed it 450'. Pretty neck and neck with my champ boss but most times the Lace was winning out the distance battle. I throw RHFH and RHBH depending on the line I need to shape. I get more distance out of my FH.

I loved my Lace when it was brand spankin new. I have read some where folks are sayin the firms break in a lot faster than the mediums. This thing 'broke in' (or at least I'm assuming thats what happened lol) and its starting to lose its usefulness for me. I've tinked a few trees but no crazy warping or anything...after all its a Vibram its supposed to be able to take a beating right? I want to love it, because I did when I first got it. I feel i've lost a lot of control over the disc and it has become incredibly understable, flippy, etc. .. If I release it with any kinda power, FH or BH, the sucker just wants to turn and burn pretty bad. The only way I've been able to keep the disc from crashing and burning is taking a significant amount of power off and release it with a pretty decent hyzer angle.

After everything I've read on here I definitely agree with the archer/arrow analogy, so perhaps I suck just need more practice with it, but I noticed a pretty significant change a few weeks in. When I first got it I could crank it and watch it soar (this thing has glide for days) and it would still fade nicely. Now its kinda an unpredictable mess... :/ I've found that inBounds seems to be really accurate if thrown properly. I was throwing the pictured line when thrown flat, but i've got me a roller or at best an understable disc unless I power it down considerably.

I'm just looking for some input to see if any one else has experienced this and what you did to try to fix the problem. I normally throw closer to max weight 173 and up discs. You think just 5 grams could make a such a difference?

Thanks in advance guys.

Is mr.Dodge just trolling with the all rubber (or was it plastic?) basket?
This is something he mentioned at livestream on the vibram open, also the o-lace should be out in october.

Ha, yeah. I think I have heard him mention or someone in here mention to him an all rubber basket. All the plastic discs will bounce right out and all the rubber discs will stick like glue.

As for the OLace, this is great news. Good thing I have a lot of gift certificate money to use at my local Pinnacle Retailer. I see 2 Unlaces in the near future and 2 OLaces in the slightly further out future. Looks like team Vibram could have used these discs at the Vibram Open this weekend.

Hey guys. I've been reading around on here for a bit and decided to join the fun.

First off let me say I'm not trying to start a bash fest or whatever although... this is the internet and people are people.

I picked up a 168 F lace about a month or so ago and outa the box I tossed it 450'. Pretty neck and neck with my champ boss but most times the Lace was winning out the distance battle. I throw RHFH and RHBH depending on the line I need to shape. I get more distance out of my FH.

I loved my Lace when it was brand spankin new. I have read some where folks are sayin the firms break in a lot faster than the mediums. This thing 'broke in' (or at least I'm assuming thats what happened lol) and its starting to lose its usefulness for me. I've tinked a few trees but no crazy warping or anything...after all its a Vibram its supposed to be able to take a beating right? I want to love it, because I did when I first got it. I feel i've lost a lot of control over the disc and it has become incredibly understable, flippy, etc. .. If I release it with any kinda power, FH or BH, the sucker just wants to turn and burn pretty bad. The only way I've been able to keep the disc from crashing and burning is taking a significant amount of power off and release it with a pretty decent hyzer angle.

After everything I've read on here I definitely agree with the archer/arrow analogy, so perhaps I suck just need more practice with it, but I noticed a pretty significant change a few weeks in. When I first got it I could crank it and watch it soar (this thing has glide for days) and it would still fade nicely. Now its kinda an unpredictable mess... :/ I've found that inBounds seems to be really accurate if thrown properly. I was throwing the pictured line when thrown flat, but i've got me a roller or at best an understable disc unless I power it down considerably.

I'm just looking for some input to see if any one else has experienced this and what you did to try to fix the problem. I normally throw closer to max weight 173 and up discs. You think just 5 grams could make a such a difference?

Thanks in advance guys.

Try Medium, it is way better than firm and takes longer to beat in. Also, wait until the OLace comes out. That should provide more stability for those forehand shots. Also, there should be a MOLace coming out, hopefully within the next year (this was close to the original OLace mold before they tweaked the OLace mold to be slightly less stable).

Try Medium, it is way better than firm and takes longer to beat in.

images
images
images

Slingshot,
Laces are my first Vibrams, and like you, I love the long glide. Unlike you, I don't throw them quite that far. My issues are different from yours.

However, I have two laces (a firm and a medium), and find that to be a good combination. Depending on the wind and the situation, that gives me two good options for long drives. You might try adding a heavier medium lace to your lighter firm lace, and have a nice pair that covers lots of options.

Just an idea...

In my experience, it takes Laces a long time to actually beat in. I have a 174g 1st Run that I have been using since release and it still flies nice and stable. Even though they take a good deal of time to beat in, they still can get some wing warps that have the possibility to reduce their stability fairly quickly. I would suggest checking the wing on your Lace for warps. If you find any, try to massage them back in place with your hands. Otherwise, let it sit in the sun for a while then bring it some place cool and it should bounce back.

threw an unlace yesterday and holy cow is that thing flippy. instant roller right out of my hand, seemed pretty similar to a mamba for me. i'm gonna wait for that olace

@ Slingshot

I also throw w/ better distance on my FH. I too have a lace and Boss. My boss is primarily used for a utility disc on shorter tomahawk throws and FH Hyzer shots that aren't very long. When I put some mustard on it I can get some distance but nothing even close to my Lace, or Bolt, or Wraith.

My Lace is 174g and when I release it I release from a point about mid torso and with the slightest anny angle so it gets the full sail and "s-curve." Personally I prefer my distance drivers around 175g for FH shots. The lighter weights never really worked out for me. I have had my Lace about the same amount of time and have drilled some trees at a very close range, it still flies fine, but not to say in a few more months it might not go flippy. My lace is also firm rubber.

Last edited:
threw an unlace yesterday and holy cow is that thing flippy. instant roller right out of my hand, seemed pretty similar to a mamba for me. i'm gonna wait for that olace

This actually sounds wonderful to me. I am desperately wanting to throw rollers with my Laces, which are pretty flippy for me, but they just don't seem to work well for the roller. I also have instances where the wind doesn't seem to allow the Lace to flip so the UnLace might be perfect. Only a few more days my friends!

Picked up an unlace today. It wasn't flippy for me at all I found it to have a consistent long glide. It did have a bit of a turn but came back every time. I've only thrown 425 once and I think there was disc gods out that day. For the most part I'm lucky to go in the high 200's. with the unlace though I was getting it consistently around 330. I'm LHBH and I could tell it felt like it had the want to flip on me but would catch every time an come back for me. It is brand new so maybe after breaking in it will start to flip. I'm really hoping it doesn't though. Now when throwing LHFH it did flip and roll a lot.

Last edited:
Picked up an unlace today. It wasn't flippy for me at all I found it to have a consistent long glide. It did have a bit of a turn but came back every time. I've only thrown 425 once and I think there was disc gods out that day. For the most part I'm lucky to go in the high 200's. with the unlace though I was getting it consistently around 330. I'm LHBH and I could tell it felt like it had the want to flip on me but would catch every time an come back for me. It is brand new so maybe after breaking in it will start to flip. I'm really hoping it doesn't though. Now when throwing LHFH it did flip and roll a lot.

I would guess this would be the case. It still sounds like a good roller disc for me. I am flipping Laces right now and can't wait for the two more overstable versions of the Lace to come out. The Unlace is going to be the best beginner long range driver on the market, and a great utility disc for players with better form and more power.

If I didn't have enough reasons to love Vibram, I have another story to prove how awesome Vibram is. At a tournament this past Saturday I found my way to the lead card for the second round. With about five holes left is started to rain. By the time there were three holes left it was a down pour. Of course I always putt with my Summits so I had little to no grip issues in the rain and finished with three birdies in a row. I watched two players who are significantly better than myself struggle in the rain as their putts and other shots for that matter really put them into trouble. Rubber really is amazing!

Used to putt with a summit about a year ago. Lately there has been a gaping hole in my bag the long putt. Picked up a 166g firm summit. Pure cash money, homie. Anny putts, awkward straddle putts, putting over things from the chest, any putt outside the circle or uphill. Fagheddaboudit. Had a bit of rain yesterday too, still nice and grippy. I think firms are the perfect mix of grip and firmness required to maximize chain contact without generating too much friction and risking a spit out in certain spots on the chains. Also my approach disc of choice, replacing my zero soft pure as my under stable driving putter.

Last edited:
There is a hole at a local course where if you don't park it, you have to shoot over some shrubs. Might see how this thing turbo putts at that spot for kicks and giggles. Seems like it would work well. Never tried it before...

There is a hole at a local course where if you don't park it, you have to shoot over some shrubs. Might see how this thing turbo putts at that spot for kicks and giggles. Seems like it would work well. Never tried it before...

My Ion works much better for turbo putting, the summit seems to flutter a lot. maybe its just me.

I fired my unLace today and people were really surprised by how much glide I was able to get from it. Through some horse trades I went from zero Ascents to three, not that I intended on having or needing that many. I found it's a lot like a really long Obex.

My soft Sole is just way the heck to soft. I really need to bump up to a medium. I'll still keep it in my bad, even if just to freak out people by folding it into fours.

Now my Obex, man, if it were a human I'd marry it.

Latest posts