• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

I think I'm gonna play more (course pending) in my FiveFingers this year. Ran outside in em for the 1st time since Fall and my calves were sore for 5 days.

five fingers are great. :) it got up into the 40's the other day so i threw on my spyridons and played a few.

funny enough, i played worse - i lost all sense of timing and weight shift since i've been playing in boots all winter. it's going to take some readjusting. i play exclusively in VFF during the spring/summer/fall as long as it's warm enough. never have to worry about water hazards or a change of socks.

I think I'm gonna play more (course pending) in my FiveFingers this year. Ran outside in em for the 1st time since Fall and my calves were sore for 5 days.

five fingers are great. :) it got up into the 40's the other day so i threw on my spyridons and played a few.

funny enough, i played worse - i lost all sense of timing and weight shift since i've been playing in boots all winter. it's going to take some readjusting. i play exclusively in VFF during the spring/summer/fall as long as it's warm enough. never have to worry about water hazards or a change of socks.

As a fellow VFF-addict, I LOVE my Spiderirons - but I've never had the nerve to do play DG in them for fear I'd shred them up. I'm stoked to hear that there are people who do play in them - do you find that you're wearing them out too quickly (i.e., pivot foot, at the toe/heel) or that they grip too well to the teepad (i.e., so you're not getting proper pivot and/or risk an ankle injury?)

Bottom line; I REALLY want to wear my VFFs as my DG shoe, but I also do not want to buy a new pair every season either because I tortured them. :p

Thank you in advance for any and all thoughts!
-Bubs :)

i play just about every single day in the summer and i always try to play 1-3 rounds. i haven't had a chance to use the spyridons on the teepads outside of those couple rounds but they were fine. :)

i used my bikila and my komodo sport (kmd sport) last year and wore them out because not only do i use them for DG, i use them for everything else too. lifting, running, hiking. the pivot is fine, just make sure your teepad is clear of sand or you won't get a good plant. i've spun out a couple times because of the sandy teepads which is why i picked up the spyridons for some extra planting grip.

the main thing to watch out for is crap like sticks/mulch getting stuck between your toes and then ripping up the seam. it'll happen if you don't keep'em clear.

Nice, looks like I'll be giving my VFF some DG love then! :clap:

Great tip on the "remove the crap between your toes" thing too... truth be told, that was also a fear of mine, that the non-rubber material of the shoe might get tore up at the seems/pull away from the sole with a ton of pivot/twisting. (i.e., where the rubber sole is gripping, but the fabric is twisting with the foot)

Thanks Kodachrome! (...and anyone else who might chime in on VFF as a DG shoe!)

Hope you have a great day!
-Bubs :p

I posted a general inquiry to VDG at the end of the February. I got an answer from them and there was a sentence that said "We have a new disc coming out in April.". And this e-mail was sent by Mr. Vibram himself (SD).

Interesting News. I hope this is true.

If you have fat toes the mesh will rip from pressure. Blew out two pairs of spyridons that way.

Yeah, I've moved on from Five Fingers as a DG shoe thanks to my fat toes. That and I hated all the stuff that ended up stick between my toes during a round that I would have to stop and pull out.

I used Merrel roadgloves most of last summer and loved them. Between those and my waterproof Merrel Moabs, I've got all my footwear needs for DG covered and I still get to support Vibram since Merrell uses their soles.

Yeah, that's interesting. I've heard rumors of the MObex and Ubex for quite some time, but the 420B theory seems the most plausible. Either way, the Vibram line-up is pretty solid since adding the o-Lace and unlace.

I'd like to see the 420b personally and then everything else on the massively overstable side of things. Those are the other discs that are still in my bag from other manufacturers. Some may be hard to replace as I have grown accustomed to them.

Pardon my ignorance, Im brand new to Vibram. I recently traded for a firm Ibex and I like it allot, it hasn't made the main bag but I keep it in the Nutsac for fun. :)

Can someone bring me up to speed on how to read their flight chart/numbers. (what are the two arrows? theirs numbers above and below speed? Turn, Fade? etc)

picture.php

Thanks.

Pardon my ignorance, Im brand new to Vibram. I recently traded for a firm Ibex and I like it allot, it hasn't made the main bag but I keep it in the Nutsac for fun. :)

Can someone bring me up to speed on how to read their flight chart/numbers. (what are the two arrows? theirs numbers above and below speed? Turn, Fade? etc)

picture.php

Thanks.

52 miles per hour velocity is needed so that it can reach its intended flight path.

380 feet it will fly if thrown 52 miles per hour.*

7 degrees of high speed turn at the beginning of its flight if thrown 52 miles per hour.*

5 degrees of low speed fade at the end of its flight if thrown 52 miles per hour.*

Source: http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/flight-ratings.html

*Not 100% certain this hasn't changed since Vibram released its original molds.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the 420b personally and then everything else on the massively overstable side of things. Those are the other discs that are still in my bag from other manufacturers. Some may be hard to replace as I have grown accustomed to them.

One thing that I love about Vibram discs is the intentionality and purposefulness that each new release has. It's no secret that they don't release discs as often as the other disc manufacturers do, which is why this news about another disc is good news.

Last edited:
^ I use a very fine sanding block for wet sanding. Works well with out scuffing the edge or taking too much material off.

52 miles per hour velocity is needed so that it can reach its intended flight path.

380 feet it will fly if thrown 52 miles per hour.*

7 degrees of high speed turn at the beginning of its flight if thrown 52 miles per hour.*

5 degrees of low speed fade at the end of its flight if thrown 52 miles per hour.*

Source: http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/flight-ratings.html

*Not 100% certain this hasn't changed since Vibram released its original molds.

Really. I guess the arrows assume your NOT left handed or rhfh and who knows how fast they throw anyway? Thats different though…

Thanks.

Really. I guess the arrows assume your NOT left handed or rhfh and who knows how fast they throw anyway? Thats different though…

Thanks.

You can just reverse the flight numbers if you're not RHBH.

One thing that Vibram was trying to do is get away from the arbitrary flight numbers, which are only relative. To me, it seems like a scientific approach to flight characteristics.

Latest posts