• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

So I've noticed my Ascent is getting kinda flippy. It still comes out, and is becoming a very straight long disc, but it just doesn't have that fade anymore, maybe I'm putting more power into it, or releasing slightly anhyzer, but has anyone else had their Ascent get flippy on them? Xlink Medium.

Ascents do beat in. Firms change the quickest, but I have only used mediums for the last couple of years.
I always have an Ascent in the bag, trusting its fade like an old friend, but when it starts to go rocket straight I replace it.
The best I've done is about six months. Planned obsolescence is a viable marketing tool. :D

So I've noticed my Ascent is getting kinda flippy. It still comes out, and is becoming a very straight long disc, but it just doesn't have that fade anymore, maybe I'm putting more power into it, or releasing slightly anhyzer, but has anyone else had their Ascent get flippy on them? Xlink Medium.

To The Microwave!!!!

(seriously, try heating it up for 30-45 seconds and it may become stable again)

I have an Ascent so beat it won't come back at 300' of power unless is is 25'+ in the air.

Released from hyzer it turns over pretty hard, compares to my beat to hell dx eagle l's.

Ain't no microwave gonna fix that.

That's kind of a bummer. I have really really liked my Ascent, and I feel like I haven't had it long enough for it to be that beat, although I do use it for all of my Thumbers and Tomahawks, so it could be. Man, that seems like a major design flaw. I'm going to evaluate it next time I'm out, maybe try the microwave thing, or just keep it as a roll over disc. I'm not sold on it enough to replace it, not with the Vein, Thunderbird, and Saint Pro sitting right next to it.

Are you nuking it flight plate up, or flight plate down?

I dont microwave after a bad experience with the vibram logo rubber piece heating up much faster and hotter than the disc. This caused a minor bubble and discoloration of the vibram logo. After this, I only reform my discs using a very hot water (almost to a boil) bath for 10-15 mins. The hot water has never caused me any problems and always takes out the warps and bends, with re-stabilizing the disc closer to its original flight path

I dont microwave after a bad experience with the vibram logo rubber piece heating up much faster and hotter than the disc. This caused a minor bubble and discoloration of the vibram logo. After this, I only reform my discs using a very hot water (almost to a boil) bath for 10-15 mins. The hot water has never caused me any problems and always takes out the warps and bends, with re-stabilizing the disc closer to its original flight path
That's what I've done. Works for me. From my 1-2 years of experience with Vibram, the domier the disc, the more stable it is. Boiling water in the flight plate restores the dome and the stability. I haven't done it a ton, but enough that I'm comfortable with it.

Disc selection

People have been knocking Vibram for coming out with slow releases, but I will applaud them for it. You have a bunch of molds that are easy to use for newer players and that are crowd favorites for everyone else, such as the Ibex, Trak and Ascent. And then you have the Lace family, which presents something very new and original. Their putters are the best out there.

As for the discussion above, does anyone know how a soft Ascent will beat-in? Not everyone is keen on softs due to warm summer temperatures, but I use them all year. I have a soft Ascent, which is an excellent wind-fighter. Wondering if it'll hold its stability better than a medium.

I had a soft Ascent once. It was floppy soft and the flight plate was all kinds of deformed. I took it to the practice field and the first time I threw it it took off on a crazy fliptastic turning flight to the right and went into a huge thicket of blackberry bushes. Didnt even try to look for it. To be fair it was a super light weight, like 149g. I would stick with medium for drivers. I have a soft Obex at 167 that will never wear out. I can roll it up like an enchilada and three minutes later it is good as new.

As for the discussion above, does anyone know how a soft Ascent will beat-in? Not everyone is keen on softs due to warm summer temperatures, but I use them all year. I have a soft Ascent, which is an excellent wind-fighter. Wondering if it'll hold its stability better than a medium.

Yes !
Its the plastic in the discs that changes at a molecular level, causing instability. The firmer the Vibram, the more plastic it has in it.
Softies are the most resistant to change.

The bullet nose trio make for an amazing set up if you carry lots of discs. I used to carry like 9 putters and the VP, Ridge and Summit were always money for most shots inside of 200 feet. Never really dug the Sole. I don't like the Aviar style beveled putters.

The olace is an amazing distance driver. I currently carry one olace, 2 lace, 1 unlace and 2 solace. I find the olace to be the best distance driver out on the market. you can hyzer flip into headwinds and have it flip over then hyzer back at the end. was hitting about 420 ish distance wise. not sure truly on distance since i cant measure. with no wind you can throw it about on an anhyzer and then have it slowly fade back to straight. i have a 159 olace for tunnel shots that is not in my bag due to the color. if it was a brighter it would be in the bag all the time. i can throw the 159 about 4 feet high and have it go about 370 feet. great glide.

Last edited:
That's a good pitch for the olace. What do you use the 2 solaces for?
I currently have 1 lace, 1 unlace, 2 traks and an ascent. I tend to reach for the ascent first. I want an amazing disctance driver. I want a more overstable lace.

Latest posts