• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the ascent takes a direct hit on the corner of cement it will get damaged. My 3rd throw with it took a hit on a barns footers. As far as in the woods, cant tell you that.

No one sells the putters around my part of Va, but the store back home in the QCA (iowa/ill) sells a ton of their putters.

The ascent doesn't hold up as well as their putters but that is probably due to the disc having a driver rim instead of a nice thick putter rim.

The ascent doesn't hold up as well as their putters but that is probably due to the disc having a driver rim instead of a nice thick putter rim.

My observations exactly.

With the right impact, it can get warped far easier than other premium plastic. The upside is that it can be just as easily bent back into shape, possibly even using the microwave treatment for the more severe cases, and come out looking like it was never warped to begin with.

My Ascents have been perfect winter discs so far. Since they rely more on power and forward momentum than glide, they do not lose as much distance as some of my other drivers during the winter. They grip is great and when you keep it only five or so feet from the ground it can hold a straight line almost all the way to the ground.

I do have an occassional griplock because the grip is so good, almost too unexpectedly good during the winter, but I have also just missed out on two aces during the last round I played. This is not going to be a niche disc (ala Winter only disc) like the Hydra or Dragon is for water.

The question is, however, will I still have a place for this disc when the weather warms up and I go back to relying more on glide than power for my fairway shots? So far the Ascent has proven to be a perfect complement to my Rivers, but I also have a few TeeBirds and Cyclones I will be breaking out in the spring when I go and figure out what my summer 2011 bag will look like.

I really like my new Ascent. Great disc, though I am still trying to figure out where it is going to fit in the bag.

The problem with Vibram not selling as well as other discs is simple. They have a very narrow market with serious players willing to spend the extra cash for their discs. There are durable discs that are cheaper. This means even the first timer buying a disc probably won't buy Vibram. I will continue to buy Vibram and I hope they continue to make discs. I would love to see their quantity increase so that prices might decrease a little bit and give them a better chance of being bigger int he market. There are some principles of economics going on here.

What obviously is going to work best for them is already being done with the vibram open. Being that I am no where near where it takes place and likely never going to have the resources or time to get out there, I am dependent on hearing about it through coverage and word of mouth. From what I have heard and seen is that it is one of the biggest and best tournaments around; something I wish I could participate in. Not bad for a "word of mouth" tournament.

The same strategy will have to work for sales too. Innova and discraft are too entrenched for outright marketing. Thankfully vibram is very successful with it's other lines of products, so disc golf does not need to make or break them. They have the time and resources to make better products that in turn can spread positive word of mouth. If they can produce a whole line of quality discs, they can almost follow in the wake of Lat64. The Jasper series of discs followed by the River, Fuse, and now the Flow have definitely put them on the DG radar. Retailers in the know should and likely have no reservations pushing Lat64 products despite having a healthy stock of innova and discraft. If vibram can come out with another quality disc soon, a complement for the Ascent, they should be in good shape. The Ion by MVP is a good disc but I bet that it is going to be getting far more attention and sales if the new Vector comes out and is as equally good.

So, honest word of mouth can go a long way. What really helped, at least in the short run, is when Steve came out to GGGT last summer and gave a putting demonstration. That personal touch got me enthusiastic and I can count at least five other people I know who bought vibram putters because of what I said. Now I know that us six cannot sustain a business, but there have been numerous times i have been out playing and people see that yellow logo on top of that disc, have no idea what it is, and ask what it is that i am throwing. That is the exposure they are going to need.

Last edited:
My Vibram putters are the best approach discs in my bag. A typical hole is driver, Vibram putter, Magic. I would like to try the Ascent, but my main drivers are Teebirds, Eagles and Leopards. I already have a bunch of them. If the Ascent will wear out about the same way they do, I'd rather stick with the discs that I can go to the store and fondle before purchase.

My Vibram putters are the best approach discs in my bag. A typical hole is driver, Vibram putter, Magic. I would like to try the Ascent, but my main drivers are Teebirds, Eagles and Leopards. I already have a bunch of them. If the Ascent will wear out about the same way they do, I'd rather stick with the discs that I can go to the store and fondle before purchase.

That is a fair enough quote and probably sums up what most golfers short of the hardcore disc junkies do; only buying on sight.

As for Vibram discs wearing out, they really do not wear the same as normal discs do. The obvious is to point out rubber versus plastic. I believe what is being said here is that Vibram discs, the Ascent in particular, can be damaged just like any other disc. However, Vibrams are reknown for holding their integrity. If one of their discs do get warped, they are easily bent back into shape. In more extreme cases you can take a disc, fill it with water, place it in the microwave for three minutes, pull it out and let the water sit, and the molecular bonds of the rubber will strengthen, helping it back into shape.

My Firm Ascents can quite easily take a beating and become warped really fast. This microwave treatment helps, or at least it seems to. You really cannot do this with plastic discs.

When my ascent hit the cement footer it had some rubber haning off. I ran a lighter across it for a sec or two and pushed it back in with my finger and it restuck and feels like it will hold. You can tell it hit something, but it is looks 100x better.

Has any one else done this with vibram? Has any one else done with plastic? What were your results?

When my ascent hit the cement footer it had some rubber haning off. I ran a lighter across it for a sec or two and pushed it back in with my finger and it restuck and feels like it will hold. You can tell it hit something, but it is looks 100x better.

Has any one else done this with vibram? Has any one else done with plastic? What were your results?

e* and every few throws i had to redo it

Played two rounds today with the VP as my only putter (forgot my aviar at home). No bogeys. It has earned its way back into the bag.

The question is, however, will I still have a place for this disc when the weather warms up and I go back to relying more on glide than power for my fairway shots? So far the Ascent has proven to be a perfect complement to my Rivers, but I also have a few TeeBirds and Cyclones I will be breaking out in the spring when I go and figure out what my summer 2011 bag will look like.

Do some of us a favor/experiment and keep it in the bag at least until half way through the summer. I'm interested to see how they beat in, maybe it will have more glide than you think.

Well my VP just lost its place in my bag. I really wanted to like Vibram discs, but they just aren't doing it for me. My biggest complaint would have to be the rounded edge, which has caused too many shots that roll far away from the basket. Too bad, because I really like the durability.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad you like the durability, hopefully we'll have something that suits your game soon.

Scott, thanks for the kudos on the GGGT demo day. We have more of that planned for 2011 and I agree, that is the best way to get people to know about the discs.

I'm not sure I understand this question, but we're staying away from hot-stamping - on the top or bottom.

I think what hes trying to say is, Have you ever tried putting the Vibram logo on the bottom instead of on top. Correct me if im wrong

I use my Wizards for a lot of driving and midrange type shots - I throw them 200' or so...Just the other day I was thinking I could've really used a more stable Wizard with a harder fade for a few lines. How does the VP compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts