• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use my Wizards for a lot of driving and midrange type shots - I throw them 200' or so...Just the other day I was thinking I could've really used a more stable Wizard with a harder fade for a few lines. How does the VP compare?

I do not know about others but the VP does not drive well because it has an incredibly fast drop rate (lack of glide). However, the Ridge is an excellent driving putter but it is also less stable than the Wizard, so that may or may not be the direction you want to go in.

The consensus appears to be that the wizard may be the best driving putter currently available, and if that is not to your liking, you might be better served moving up to a mid for those duties. Hopefully soon vibram will have a mid that will serve in that spot.

I got a replacement ascent in today for the over-trimmed one I got. Just wanted to let everyone know.

that was fast... maybe I should do something to one of my discs so I can get a new one... just because.... :)

Also for the post at the top. All the Vibrams drop the same at first, they take a long time to beat in, but try that out and see how they fade.

On a different note, the Vibram disc golf facebook page just announced a new proto driver mold coming in a few weeks!

No, but I'm hoping for some sort of firebird type thing, I think that would work well with the plastic/rubber

i can see the hand cut flashing becoming an issue when they move to faster drivers. a flat edge on a sharp wing would mess up the flight.. right?

some of the proto ascents i have have some gnarly hand cuts.. but the regular runs i have haven't had any issues with that. are the proto's the only ones hand cut?

some of the proto ascents i have have some gnarly hand cuts.. but the regular runs i have haven't had any issues with that. are the proto's the only ones hand cut?

I have a regular ascent that has some over trimming issues but nothing nearly as bad as the proto ascent I emailed Mr Dodge about.

I do not know about others but the VP does not drive well because it has an incredibly fast drop rate (lack of glide). However, the Ridge is an excellent driving putter but it is also less stable than the Wizard, so that may or may not be the direction you want to go in.

The consensus appears to be that the wizard may be the best driving putter currently available, and if that is not to your liking, you might be better served moving up to a mid for those duties. Hopefully soon vibram will have a mid that will serve in that spot.

Oh I love me some Wizard and have no doubt it's the best. Looks like for a more overstable Wiz I'll just have to stick to throwing heavier new ones.

I would respectfully disagree about the Ridge. I would suggest an X-Link Ridge will fill the role of driving putter perfectly and maintain its stable to overstable flight better than a wiz.

I would respectfully disagree about the Ridge. I would suggest an X-Link Ridge will fill the role of driving putter perfectly and maintain its stable to overstable flight better than a wiz.

Dodge, I posted a pic in the disc profile page that compared the Wizard, Focus, Aviar BB, and Ridge through photograph and through composite outlines. In the photos they all look almost the same. In the composite you can see the subtle differences more clearly but non the less it seems some of the most popular putters are very similar.

let me see if I can find that.

I definitely agree that for putters the ridge is excellent at driving, but I found my ridges, especially my most oft used x-link has a stability between the wizard and voodoo, closer to the voodoo. For me, both my soft and E wizard have noticeable fade at the very end of the flight. My x-link ridge can hold it's line straight into the ground, which can actually be beneficial because it cuts down on skips and roll aways.

My firm ridges have a more wizard like fade at the end but it still is not quite there. It could also be that i do not use my firms as often as my x-link and thus are not as broken in.

Then again I am only going off of my experience and throwing technique. I would rather finesse a mid than drive a putter in most situations anyway.

:clap:

LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN !

Since they already have a Teagle mold, I would guess this one would be faster.

Like a rubber Wraith.

A rubber wraith, that sounds dirty... Yet intriguing. The Firm Ascents got flippy real fast. I would not be surprised if they either went the overstable route to compensate for some post-production loss of stability and made something that settled into a wraith like disc, or went the other route and purposely made a hyzer-flipping disc like a sidewinder.

I definitely agree that for putters the ridge is excellent at driving, but I found my ridges, especially my most oft used x-link has a stability between the wizard and voodoo, closer to the voodoo. For me, both my soft and E wizard have noticeable fade at the very end of the flight. My x-link ridge can hold it's line straight into the ground, which can actually be beneficial because it cuts down on skips and roll aways.

My firm ridges have a more wizard like fade at the end but it still is not quite there. It could also be that i do not use my firms as often as my x-link and thus are not as broken in.

Then again I am only going off of my experience and throwing technique. I would rather finesse a mid than drive a putter in most situations anyway.

How long have you had your ridges? Mine seems to fade like a wizard after over half a year of lots of play... lots...

Sadly I haven't gotten to beat in my ascent any more lately...

How long have you had your ridges? Mine seems to fade like a wizard after over half a year of lots of play... lots...

Sadly I haven't gotten to beat in my ascent any more lately...

Late June, early July. Whenever it was when Steve came out for the GGGT putting clinic. I used it for everything but driver shots. Within a month or two it developed a slight concave top that I believe stole some of its stability. My other X-link that i have as a spare does not have it to this degree and does have a little more fade. My firm definitely does not cave in and has the most fade out of my four ridges. I thought maybe it was the way that I was storing/ carrying that one ridge but two friends of mine that purchased their ridges from the same batch have the same thing happening to the center of their discs as well. It is not drastic or anything like that, nearly impossible to photograph, but it is noticeable to the naked eye. It does not seem to affect the high speed stability, just the fade at the end.

The wizards that I have for comparison sake are heavy, two softs and one evolution. That might account for theme having a little more stability than others are noticing.

Status
Not open for further replies.