• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I throw Avenvers, Teebirds and Firebirds right around 150 actually. Still sounds like a fun tournament, I doubt I can make it up to Oregon but I would really like to play in it. Maybe if you ever have another one

Just do like Innova and write a random # on the disc that's only within 6g of the real weight ;)
If I recall correctly (the possible lies that have been told to me), the discs have to be weighed before they're accepted at the Japan Open to ensure this doesn't happen. =)

Well Steve, its official.
July 9th we will be having what will probably be the first PDGA sanctioned 150 class tournament in the U.S.
I have pretty much all the discs I need already, except a good 150 class putter.

I really really need a 159.9 gram Ridge.
I have a 163, so I know you can fudge a couple more grams somewhere, maybe shave down the backside of the logo or something.

Not so concerned with the firmness, but please dont make me play with an Aviar.

Mr. Dodge, Your Mission: You have until July 1st to get 150-Class Ridges into stores.

Mission accepted.

Just do like Innova and write a random # on the disc that's only within 6g of the real weight ;)

All discs that a competitor intends to use will be weighed prior to the tournament, and stamped with a special stamp, kinda like getting into a nightclub.

Every competitor will also present his bag when he cards out, if there are any discs without the approved stamp, the player will be immediately disqualified.

Steve, stamps could be difficult for these discs, but maybe you could mold in the Ichiban symbol.
img204_1_0.jpg

Number one in Japan. :D

Just got to throw a round with the proto Trek. My thoughts so far:

Suuuuuper straight for 95% of the flight with a nice, relatively small fade at the end.
The grip is really good. I wasn't sure how X-Link material would feel coming out of the hand on a full rip, but I gotta say I'm a believer.
Hit a hardwood at full speed. No evidence on the disc. Plus it didn't shoot off in another direction, just kind of dropped and landed 5' from the tree.

It seems promising, so I'm keeping it in the bag to get more familiar with the thing.

Keep in mind I don't have the biggest gun in the world. I'm still cleaning up my form (close to no OAT left), and the 175 is a little heavier than I'm used to in drivers. I'm sure it will be a little understable for better players, but for me it serves its purpose. I'll most likely pick up lighter one when it goes into production.

Thanks again, Steve.

I just had to add my thoughts since I have a Trek.

It is only slightly less stable than an Ascent.

Talked with a Vibram team player this weekend, he said it was no different than an ascent. I am inclined to believe him and his opinion.

In the end, I am not sure what to really think of the Trek. It really isn't that different from the Ascent.

I've been testing out a bunch of new putters just because. I'm been using my xlink and firm ridge for a while and like them a lot but I just wanted to see what else was out there since I would consider myself largely a novice player.

Currently I'm testing out, for a summer putter, the Ridge, medium wizard, KC Aviar, Pro D Ringer.

Been using wizards during most of my disc golfing days but am thinking of trying the vp and ridge out. I'm in Texas so I'm wondering if anybody can describe the flight plate stiffness of the firm and regular x-link plastic to that of a wizard as well as how the flight plate stiffness reacts in the Texas heat? If anybody can compare flight paths of the vp and ridge to the wiz that would be great also. Thanks

I think the trek is much easier to throw than the ascent. I can hyzer flip a new trek, but not a ascent.

Been using wizards during most of my disc golfing days but am thinking of trying the vp and ridge out. I'm in Texas so I'm wondering if anybody can describe the flight plate stiffness of the firm and regular x-link plastic to that of a wizard as well as how the flight plate stiffness reacts in the Texas heat? If anybody can compare flight paths of the vp and ridge to the wiz that would be great also. Thanks

Ridge is closer to the wiz. VP is like a XXX in putter form. Its a hulk. The ridge is nice once beat in.

As for the materials my experience has been that the Xlink are the most overstable of them, the Firms are a little less overstable and the softs turn a lot and don't have much stability at all.

For driving go with XLink, it beats in around 6 months of heavy usage and is just nice. The firms are awesome for putting.

I agree in general with Chris above, except to say, in my experience, the softs are the most overstable for me.

I'd probably recommend starting with an X-Link Firm Ridge as a comparison in flight and stiffness to all but a SSS Wiz.

Just got my trek,

i agree with those saying it flies almost exactly the same as an ascent, but the one thing that i really noticed, is that with the rounded bottom, it had much cleaner releases. (Without hurting your index finger, if you use a power grip). That is one thing i noticed from the ascents, if you put any power into it you could get them to go straight as an arrow. even on downhill drives. but with the trek i was getting a gentle S and a pretty decent distance. Very comparable to the ascent, maybe a little longer. but either way, if you didn't like the sharp edge on the ascent this disc will be wonderful. Feels great in the hands right off the bat. Thanks again Steve.

Can't wait until I can get a Trek... that was my biggest gripe about the ascent, the release wasn't as I thought it should be, glad it's not just me

are the trek's being sent out? Steve, am I on that list? I did the Ascent review after it was sent to me... oh well if ya don't.

Also to note I'm going to try as hard as I can to kick the ridge out of my bag. Just to see if there is anything better for me.

are the trek's being sent out? Steve, am I on that list? I did the Ascent review after it was sent to me... oh well if ya don't.

Also to note I'm going to try as hard as I can to kick the ridge out of my bag. Just to see if there is anything better for me.

Why kick the ridge out?

After playing a tournament this past weekend, two discs found an even more secure position in my bag. My Stalker and My Ridge.

Just got my trek,

i agree with those saying it flies almost exactly the same as an ascent, but the one thing that i really noticed, is that with the rounded bottom, it had much cleaner releases. (Without hurting your index finger, if you use a power grip). That is one thing i noticed from the ascents, if you put any power into it you could get them to go straight as an arrow. even on downhill drives. but with the trek i was getting a gentle S and a pretty decent distance. Very comparable to the ascent, maybe a little longer. but either way, if you didn't like the sharp edge on the ascent this disc will be wonderful. Feels great in the hands right off the bat. Thanks again Steve.

I agree with the feel of the Trek. So so much better than the Ascent. And there really isn't that big of a difference between the discs. Very very small if at all. Now if Mr. Dodge could make a Vibram Stalker we might be in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.