• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different grip for different occasions? Novelty purposes? Maybe just a glimpse of the possibilities of xlink fusion for a customized feel of disc? One day we might even have the chance to customize every aspect of our favorite vibram discs, so many variations of discs could be achieved to meet a player's needs. This may be wishful thinking but definitely a possibility with their molding techniques.

Hey Mr. Dodge,
I've heard of people asking for the xlink firm core with with soft around it, but has layering ever been attempted? I've had so many ideas of what could be tried, I just wish I could be in RnD

Come on Vibram, lets not start being like innova and push out some gimmicky stuff just to sell discs.

What we all want to know the answer to is, Where is the distance driver?

Come on Vibram, lets not start being like innova and push out some gimmicky stuff just to sell discs.

What we all want to know the answer to is, Where is the distance driver?

Traditionally Vibram has always tried something new with their Vibram Open discs. This thought process is what atarted them on trying to get specific designs in tbeir material during the compression process. It brought us Super Firm. I believe it was also a first attempt at putting a hotstamp on their discs. And now we have the first production runs of the long rumoured fusion technology, though not quite the materials I was hoping for. I would Imagine that Vibram will keep this trend going with their VO discs in the future. It really does make for more of a collecter's disc.

As for the driver, sometime this year is the latest news. I am expectiong October at the earliest at this point based on the way information is being released at this point. I am curious to know if any of the testers out there know anything else? No matter what I try, I cannot seem to convince Mr. Dodge to put me on the tester team.

What's the practical difference between the X-link and X-link firm plastics that they use? How does each affect the flight characteristics?

For that matter, whats the difference between x-link soft and x-link as well?

First of all its rubber not plastic. To me firm feels almost like a base plastic firmness out of the box and wears into a starish plastic feel while losing a hint of stability. Firm comes out of my hand better but I don't notice a flight difference. Soft is too soft for Texas so I've only thrown one a few times.

I really wanted to like all of vibrams molds, and did for a while, they just are not my cup of tea. The durability is excellent.The lack of glide on the other hand ruins all of them. They are all good molds dont get me wrong they just do not fit my style of play. Here in Texas the medium is to floppy in the heat and the firm gets bent out of shape so easily. Plus one of their pros that is a local here really acted poorly in a public setting and IMO disgraced what Vibram stands for.

Never understood the glide argument. They don't glide any differently than my plastic discs.

Yeah I just made up the fact that they dont have much glide. So did the thousands of other people before me.

Not saying you made it up but it hasn't been my experience. They glide about as well as champion plastic which is more than enough for me.

What's the practical difference between the X-link and X-link firm plastics that they use? How does each affect the flight characteristics?

For that matter, whats the difference between x-link soft and x-link as well?

Firm has a glossy sheen you can see in bright light. It comes out of the hand cleanly, with no sticking fingers.

Regular X Link is a little more flexible, and its dull on the surface, even in sunlight.

Soft is super gummy like a Gumputt. Soft tends to sit down better, and is less likely to skip, or roll, from where it lands.

All the formulas seem to exhibit the same flight characteristics when new.

My experience has been that the firmer rubber tends to beat in a little faster, loosing stability as it ages.

I just wanted to post a big :clap:THANK YOU:clap: to Steve and Vibram disc golf.

Vibram Disc Golf is the only manufacturer "IMO" of all the newer manufacturers to offer almost every mold they make in sub 160g's.
As a 150 class thrower, if you wanted a large selection of sub 160g in premium plastics, Innova was pretty much your only option. To all the haters, I'm not talking about warp speed Blizzard plastic. I do not have the arm for anything faster than a fairway driver.

Steve and Vibram, thank you for believing there is a market for making discs for the noodle arm players of the world like me that can only throw 300-350.
I own in sub 155g Med Xlink, Ascent, Track, Obex, and Ibex. They are some of the best discs I have and will always have a place in my bag.

P.S.
For other disc manufacturers, take note. You are missing out on money that could be yours.
AKA - Gold line, Opto, Tournament, VIP, MVP, TI, ESP, Z, HPP :wall:.
I would love to try these plastics and pad your wallets.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm loving my 150 class Vibrams- I have one of each disc except the putters and Obex. I'm really getting into the 150 class discs because they let me play longer and I can share discs with the wife. I've been snatching up Gateway Super Lites and Innova DX lately.

This weekend we had a hard rain in the middle of our second round and while a lot of the guys on my card were complaining about grip and having to dry off their discs, I let them all hold the Ascent and they were pretty amazed at the grip, to the point of one guy saying, "You can't be f---ing serious!"

That part kinda made me smile cause that guy in particular was throwing Lat64, so I know he doesn't just shop at Academy or Sports Authority.

I just wanted to post a big :clap:THANK YOU:clap: to Steve and Vibram disc golf.

Vibram Disc Golf is the only manufacturer "IMO" of all the newer manufacturers to offer almost every mold they make in sub 160g's.
As a 150 class thrower, if you wanted a large selection of sub 160g in premium plastics, Innova was pretty much your only option. To all the haters, I'm not talking about warp speed Blizzard plastic. I do not have the arm for anything faster than a fairway driver.

Steve and Vibram, thank you for believing there is a market for making discs for the noodle arm players of the world like me that can only throw 300-350.
I own in sub 155g Med Xlink, Ascent, Track, Obex, and Ibex. They are some of the best discs I have and will always have a place in my bag.

P.S.
For other disc manufacturers, take note. You are missing out on money that could be yours.
AKA - Gold line, Opto, Tournament, VIP, MVP, TI, ESP, Z, HPP :wall:.
I would love to try these plastics and pad your wallets.
I give a huge "amen" to that Jacob! I know MVP wants to make lighter discs but they have trouble bringing their density down while keeping up quality. Good job Vibram.

Yeah I just made up the fact that they dont have much glide. So did the thousands of other people before me.

Hi teebob, Have you tried the Ibex, Obex and Sole? These discs were designed to have more glide than our initial lineup of putters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts