• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also like the idea of having an understable and overstable driver. Don't worry about the time frame Steve, you guys make a great product and great things take time.

On a different subject, I bought a medium Sole today. Can't wait to try it out. It's my second vibram putter, my other being a Ridge. Look forward to seeing how the two compare for me.

I don't know. I didn't know it was even coming! It's a driver. Shaped slightly different than the others I got this week. AS soon as I get a chance, I will give it some throws.

I got my tester today. Light Blue one. Very velvety feeling. Really low parting line and very flat top after shoulder b

@chris deitzel,

Another driver??? Does it have a big rim like the long range driver you got previously? Exciting!!

I received my proto driver today. I'm calling it the egg. Pure white with no markings, just the yellow logo on the top. No molded lettering, no weight, speed markings.... nothing. This will certainly be a rare and valuable disc in a year or so. "I'm looking for the original proto with no markings..." I wish they sent me two so I could test one and keep the other one un-thrown.

The top is very flexible. I would call it flimsy if not for the negative connotation of the word. The rim is pretty wide so the overall flexibility of the disc isn't extreme. But it does bend. Not quite the x-link soft flexi, but definitely discraft flex plastic ish. It adds up to that nice grippy rubbery feel you've come to expect from Vibram. Can't wait to see how it flies.

I received my proto driver today. I'm calling it the egg. Pure white with no markings, just the yellow logo on the top. No molded lettering, no weight, speed markings.... nothing. This will certainly be a rare and valuable disc in a year or so. "I'm looking for the original proto with no markings..." I wish they sent me two so I could test one and keep the other one un-thrown.

The top is very flexible. I would call it flimsy if not for the negative connotation of the word. The rim is pretty wide so the overall flexibility of the disc isn't extreme. But it does bend. Not quite the x-link soft flexi, but definitely discraft flex plastic ish. It adds up to that nice grippy rubbery feel you've come to expect from Vibram. Can't wait to see how it flies.

Got a blue one, you nailed the feel

Got a blue one, you nailed the feel

Mine also has what I would call a pop top, flexes & makes the same noise as the Destroyers. It also has the flatest wing I've ever seen. The wings on an AJ Destroyer & Star Katana are both higher, not sure what this means! Flat on a table, the tip of the Vibram wing is MAYBE an 1/8" off the table. The AJ is about 3/16" & the Katana in between. Is this the same as the others? Should this be understable?

Mine also has what I would call a pop top, flexes & makes the same noise as the Destroyers. It also has the flatest wing I've ever seen. The wings on an AJ Destroyer & Star Katana are both higher, not sure what this means! Flat on a table, the tip of the Vibram wing is MAYBE an 1/8" off the table. The AJ is about 3/16" & the Katana in between. Is this the same as the others? Should this be understable?

That was my first thought too the very second I cracked open that envelope. Really, really low. I did not have a chance to throw it tonight, but since my son only throws about 75 feet, I trusted him to throw in my backyard. I had him throw against an Archangel, Blizzard Boss, and a Champion Mamba.

Now, he has only been TRYING to throw for a week now, and he has come a long way since trying to take this seriously, so when you watch the video you have to take a few of his shots with a grain of salt because of grip lock and OAT issues. Regardless, for his power level, the Archangel is a nearly perfect disc. This prototype is clearly too big for him, but when he did get a good shot, it did not seem as nose sensitive as the Archangel and was a tad more stable on both ends. It was no where near the LSS of the Boss. We could not compare it to the Mamba because for whatever reason my son could not get it out past 40 feet before it always ditched into the ground.

Man it has been far too long since I have been on here. Good work getting all the news about the new distance driver on here, it has been fun to read. I am a bit bummed that the timeframe has been set back but once again, I prefer quality over the typically rushed discs that we get from other manufacturers. Here is to hoping that Vibram releases both the first version and the future more overstable version.

yeah_that.gif

I'd gladly buy an understable proto off someone who didn't want it! :D

Also, I'm planning on picking up a max weight ascent and was curious to what people thought of the xlink soft?

I'd gladly buy an understable proto off someone who didn't want it! :D

Also, I'm planning on picking up a max weight ascent and was curious to what people thought of the xlink soft?

I like the soft but had trouble with it in fairway discs. It is a bit more form sensitive than medium/firm. I really like it in the Ibex and putters for wooded shots and approaches where I need to hit and stop.

Since they are going to tweak the mold before they release it, would these protos ever be PDGA legal? Like an Eagle X vs L? Kinda sucks either way. If I like it, the actual production disc will be different. Oh well, I love free discs & this thing is definitely in for a workout!

I like the soft but had trouble with it in fairway discs. It is a bit more form sensitive than medium/firm. I really like it in the Ibex and putters for wooded shots and approaches where I need to hit and stop.

Yeah, I have a soft Ridge that I love. And I carry a 169g Ascent Regular and I just want something beefier. I'll probably stick with the regular Xlink, but was curious what the soft Ascent was all about.

To be more specific I'm looking for a heavier ascent for windy days (the 169 will stay in the bag too), so which xlink compound is more overstable/handles wind better?

Status
Not open for further replies.