• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are right on that the Trak would be the disc to try out first. I always recommend the Ibex as well.

Thanks for the feedback. A Trak is on the way.

Now, for putters: I use an Opto Pure off the tee, and am wondering if there is a similar beadless Vibram putter than can be a straight/stable driver. It's gotta be beadless. Also, how do the softs drive?

Now, for putters: I use an Opto Pure off the tee, and am wondering if there is a similar beadless Vibram putter than can be a straight/stable driver. It's gotta be beadless. Also, how do the softs drive?

Try the Sole, it's an awesome neutral putter/approach/driver, like the Aviar putt & approach. I have yet to throw Pures, so I can't compare it to that.

If you're driving with softs, you might like it if your form is clean...if not, welllll....

Also, how do the softs drive?

Depends on the temp outside. Here in Texas it is almost always too warm for me to throw them. Even the mediums seemed too soft during the summer so I switched to firms and just switched back last week now that it is cooling off.

Try the Sole, it's an awesome neutral putter/approach/driver, like the Aviar putt & approach. I have yet to throw Pures, so I can't compare it to that.

If you're driving with softs, you might like it if your form is clean...if not, welllll....

So you're saying I should go with medium. ;)

I am looking for something lower profile than the Aviar P&A, so I think the Sole is out. I was debating between the Ridge and the Summit, but can't tell if the Ridge has a bead...

So you're saying I should go with medium. ;)

I am looking for something lower profile than the Aviar P&A, so I think the Sole is out. I was debating between the Ridge and the Summit, but can't tell if the Ridge has a bead...
go medium out there. the sole feels very similar to the pure. It may fly like an avair p & a but it does not feel like one. I have not thrown one but i know pures :thmbup:

I just got a VP medium and used the heck out of yesterday in some high winds. I love it! Great approach disc and driving putter. Performs exactly as advertised. Thanks!

Got some more testing in today with my white proto Driver. For me it's way too understable to use in any Forehand manner. I really don't throw a lot of backhands unless the course forces me to (and even then I don't do it well). However, I played an entirely backhand round with the Lace today and it went well. For frame of reference my go to bh disc is a Monarch.

I don't have a lot of bh speed, so it was a little tough to get the Lace up to ideal traveling velocity. But just a bit. If I gave it a good rip though, when thrown flat it would go long and straight with just some fade at the end. If I let it go with a slight anhy release it would travel with a nice S curve giving me more distance then I'm used to getting bh. A similar throw with my monarch stays in the air, but never fades back, resulting in less distance.

One thing I noticed is that at or above ideal speed it will flip easily, but if thrown below speed the fade was sharp. In other words it was a bit finicky in regards to speed. But after a few holes to get it locked in, it was money for me. Going farther and straighter then most of my bh tosses with other discs. A good part of which is due to the immense gripability and feel of x-link. I often have trouble bh with release point and no disc really feels right in my hand. But as with all my x-link discs, it is super grippy yet somehow just slick enough for a smooth release.

If I can get one of these in x-link soft...it might just have to stop calling myself forehand dominant.

Last edited:
Hopefully the more overstable protos that Vibram is tweaking will get to the testers soon so we can really hear what the Lace is capable of.

Holy crap. I just read about cleaning Vibram discs to remove any residue that used to give some of them a false slick feel. I gave my Ibex and Trak a warm bath in Palmolive dish detergent and they both went from fairly grippy to grippy as hell. If I pinch the rim with my index finger and thumb and try to slide it out with my other hand, it barely budges. The same pinch test with DX, Champion, Star, ESP, FLX ESP, Sure Grip, Evolution, and any other plastic in my house, and my fingers slide with varying resistance. Very cool.

Holy crap. I just read about cleaning Vibram discs to remove any residue that used to give some of them a false slick feel. I gave my Ibex and Trak a warm bath in Palmolive dish detergent and they both went from fairly grippy to grippy as hell. If I pinch the rim with my index finger and thumb and try to slide it out with my other hand, it barely budges. The same pinch test with DX, Champion, Star, ESP, FLX ESP, Sure Grip, Evolution, and any other plastic in my house, and my fingers slide with varying resistance. Very cool.

I wonder how much this would apply to other plastics. Skin gives off oils all the time anyways so maybe this would help with all plastic types. Although, the effect is rather dramatic on the x-link I noticed.

I wonder how much this would apply to other plastics. Skin gives off oils all the time anyways so maybe this would help with all plastic types. Although, the effect is rather dramatic on the x-link I noticed.
take some windex to your discs, that removes the grease and oils and makes your discs grippy as heck.

I picked up a soft Summit today from my local shop, and it is awesome. There are some precarious greens at my course, where there are drop offs if you overshoot the basket and a lot of slick ground around them, and this thing just wanted to stop where it landed. It was also fun for flicking out of trouble. I even putted with it for the whole round, and while it looks ugly coming out of the hand and flopping toward the basket, it wanted to find chains the whole time. I plan on picking up a medium in the very near future to drive with.

While I am on Vibram, I have a question about the Ibex: What can it do that my Buzzz can't? I have really been clicking lately with my ESP FLX Buzzz, especially on low lines, but I wanna check out an Ibex. Does the Ibex hold low lines well, or does it like height? Can the two coexist, or is it going to be a waste for me to check out the Ibex if the Buzzz is staying in the bag? Last question: My Buzzz is 171 g I think. Should I stick around the same weight for an Ibex, or a tick lower? I recall reading that the Ibex needs a bit more oomph to go, so I wasn't sure where I should go with weights.

Holy cow, that was a lot of stuff to talk about. Sorry. Thanks for reading.

So I've looked through most of this thread and I have a question....

I currently putt Innova PnA's and want something more stable. I'm a hyzer putter also. I dont like big beads but a smallish bead is doable. What would you guys recommend? I also like a smaller profile but overstability is a must.

While I am on Vibram, I have a question about the Ibex: What can it do that my Buzzz can't? I have really been clicking lately with my ESP FLX Buzzz, especially on low lines, but I wanna check out an Ibex. Does the Ibex hold low lines well, or does it like height? Can the two coexist, or is it going to be a waste for me to check out the Ibex if the Buzzz is staying in the bag? Last question: My Buzzz is 171 g I think. Should I stick around the same weight for an Ibex, or a tick lower? I recall reading that the Ibex needs a bit more oomph to go, so I wasn't sure where I should go with weights.

Holy cow, that was a lot of stuff to talk about. Sorry. Thanks for reading.

The Ibex can do pretty much whatever a Buzzz can do. It has less fade, with more resistance to high speed turn than a Buzzz, in my experience. I find that when thrown with good snap, the Ibex will glide for a very long ways dead nuts straight. I personally love it for powered down nose up floaty approach shots.

The Ibex can do pretty much whatever a Buzzz can do. It has less fade, with more resistance to high speed turn than a Buzzz, in my experience. I find that when thrown with good snap, the Ibex will glide for a very long ways dead nuts straight. I personally love it for powered down nose up floaty approach shots.

Thanks Kutz, this all sounds awesome. Any weight preference compared to a Buzzz?

take some windex to your discs, that removes the grease and oils and makes your discs grippy as heck.

I've heard this before, and more specifically for MVP stuff. Makes sense, but I've never liked the smell of Windex. My Ibex and Trak now smell like green apple scented Palmolive, which is a bonus! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.