• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Discs (don't get caught without your rubber)

peppermack said:
Man, I search eBay everyday for vibram discs, how the hell did I miss that?
Not sure. It was either a 3 or 5 day auction. Not sure if it said vibram in the title, but I'm pretty sure it did.

I tested out the Ridge today. It was a gray speckled 174. It was quite firm. Anyway, it reminded me a lot of a Rhyno without a thumbtrac. Anyway, I was throwing mainly drives with it and it flew pretty well. It was impeccably stable. I was ripping it hard and flat into headwinds and it never flipped at all. I noticed it would go as far as I could power it, but it did not have much glide. It had to be flying quite fast to hold itself in the air without dropping. It was holding any angle I powered it at, including hyzers into the wind. I found it very easy to throw hard without any OAT. It has a good feel in the hand and a low profile.

Discspeed: Do you feel like the ridge's lack of glide would be helpful if it was used as a stable approach disc. Like 200 and in? Or would range control be difficult because you'd have to give it more altitude? Since you referenced a rhyno how does the ridge's glide compare to the rhyno's?

Ridge has more glide than a rhyno, but not a ton. When thrown balls out I flipped the ridge and it did not fade back, I can not say that I have ever had that issue with a rhyno.

from pdga site:

StevenDodge-"We are investigating discs that go farther down the fairway. The Ridge will be released in the next month or so (see our ad in Disc Golfer magazine for an exact release date). Once this disc is available, our initial putter line will be complete and we will start looking down the fairway"

discspeed said:
I tested out the Ridge today. It was a gray speckled 174. It was quite firm. Anyway, it reminded me a lot of a Rhyno without a thumbtrac. Anyway, I was throwing mainly drives with it and it flew pretty well. It was impeccably stable. I was ripping it hard and flat into headwinds and it never flipped at all. I noticed it would go as far as I could power it, but it did not have much glide. It had to be flying quite fast to hold itself in the air without dropping. It was holding any angle I powered it at, including hyzers into the wind. I found it very easy to throw hard without any OAT. It has a good feel in the hand and a low profile.

OAT?

peppermack said:
Ridge has more glide than a rhyno, but not a ton. When thrown balls out I flipped the ridge and it did not fade back, I can not say that I have ever had that issue with a rhyno.

I agree. A bit more than a Rhyno. I'm thinking you flipped that Ridge out of some sort of error in your pull because the one I was throwing would not flip. You may throw harder than me, but I was ripping it balls out into a 15-25 mph headwinds and it wasn't flipping. I could see if you got it pointed in a turnover direction that it wouldn't come back.

Steven Dodge said:
discspeed said:

OAT?

Off axis torque, aka, wobble. High profile, domey putters are harder to learn to release cleanly with power.

Steven Dodge said:
discspeed said:

OAT?

Off Axis Torque

Ever since the official release of the Summits it seems like all the vibram discs that come out have almost a glaze to them that makes the rubber a little bit slicker than what all my original V.P.'s feel like. My two Ridges are no different and have that same slick feeling and it's been messing with my grip and release.

So over the weekend I took some scotch-brite pads and just worked over the disc with light pressure and its almost as if its a different rubber now. They went from what i'll call a satin finish to a matte finish and it's very grippy in my hand now.

I'm really loving the feel of the Ridge in the hand and the flight is beautifully neutral it's one issue is glide. I don't know what it is but these Vibram discs just don't appear to glide all that well. When ever it leaves my hand I always have to throw a little bit higher than I would if I was throwing something else. One last thing I noticed about the firms in the cold, they don't like to stay in the basket. They bounce. Where's the slightly softer X link rubber Steve!?

What ever compound was in that blue marble V.P. you traded me Peppermack, that was my favorite mix.

Jeronimo said:
Ever since the official release of the Summits it seems like all the vibram discs that come out have almost a glaze to them that makes the rubber a little bit slicker than what all my original V.P.'s feel like. My two Ridges are no different and have that same slick feeling and it's been messing with my grip and release.

So over the weekend I took some scotch-brite pads and just worked over the disc with light pressure and its almost as if its a different rubber now. They went from what i'll call a satin finish to a matte finish and it's very grippy in my hand now.

I noticed the same thing about a month ago and we added a citrus wipe to the manufacturing process. My guess is that you got some of the discs that "slipped" through before I noticed it. The Ridges and all future discs should be much better out of the box.

Jeronimo said:
Where's the slightly softer X link rubber Steve!?

:-D

I will probably plan a trial run in March. With success (which is not guaranteed), we should have them out this Summer.

SU1HMDAwNzQtMjAxMDAyMTYtMTEwMy5qcGc.jpg

Steve,
On the bottom of those VPs there is a circle on one and a square on the other molded in the discs. There is also a star on the bottom of my Echo Summit. Any clue what those are?