• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram dyes?

Did my first Vibram dye. It was quick and sloppy but it turned out pretty cool. Used the OLD Rit dye.

CAM00041_zps7df58860.jpg

I did my first dye stuff today, using my Vibram disks and the iDye Poly. The black takes really, really quick so the Cedar Bane turned out darker than I wanted.

Both disks were designed in Photoshop/Illustrator then cut out using a Silhouette plotter that we thankfully have for our business.

We had a couple of bubble issues which are apparent. This was partially due to a bit too much stretching of the vinyl, and Cedar Bane got too warm.

ohcock.jpg

cedarbane.jpg

I love the Cedar Bane dye, bleeds are a righteous bitch of a problem with the Vibram rubber but those look like they're part of the design.

You can, but the results usually don't improve how the rubber looks already. If anything I'd use a stencil in combination with something marbled at high concentration, just to get around the bleed problem with Vibrams. I've tried painting them with fishing lure dye, which holds for about a week before going through some drastic fading, so I wouldn't recommend that.

I found they can marble though the colors certainly aren't brilliant but they can translate over. I haven't noticed any dramatic fading but the colors didn't stand out to something done on gold line

i kinda like it like that, the bleeds kinda make it look like an old vintage sign/logo. not bad for a first attempt.

I suck at weeding and some dye got on top of my vinyl....doh!
My first dye ever, I've had many weeding and transferring attempts though.

The Blackhawk fan in me doesn't like it, but I do think it looks good. And I actually kind of like the bleeding. What rit formula did you use? I'm gonna dye some white/gray Vibrams red, and really like how that red turned out.

Oh and yall are having a freaking awesome year as much as I hate to say it. Thanks guys and if you find a way to reduce the bleeds please share. I'm hoping vibrams just needs a more sticky vinyl. I also thought of running the disc under very hot water and drying quickly to allow expansion of the rubber. Then apply the vinyl, it just seems as if the edges start expanding just enough to let tiny bits of dye seep through plus the texture of vibrams doesn't really give a flat contact surface(definitely bigger pores in rubber than plastic).

If you really like the ones from Marshall Street, those and more are at my personal page, Sweet Hat! Disc Supply. If you want one for yourself, get in touch.

This one has to be my favorite so far. I've done this on a couple of other discs, as it's pretty easy to find Vibrams that have the "top/middle/bottom" color pattern, but this one worked out way better than the others. I was also able to keep the bleeding to a minimum on these, which is an accomplishment unto itself on the Vibrams.

vibrameart2.jpg

Last edited:
Differences in plastics

Just checking to see how these are fading/holding a year later. Any updates would be appreciated. I just added two vibram molds to my bag, and am contemplating dyeing.

Also, I perused a little, but didn't see anything. Are there differences in the durability of soft vs medium vs firm?

I have not dyed any firm vibrams, but my med and soft dyes seem to be holding up well. They are only ~6 months old though. It's a bit hard to tell but I think the soft is fading a bit more than the med, but nothing terrible yet.

As for durability, med is the best - maybe the best of all plastics honestly. Firm breaks in quickly (but is dope when broken in), and soft just gets even softer and "wavey" like a Blowfly, if you know what I mean.

I have not dyed any firm vibrams, but my med and soft dyes seem to be holding up well. They are only ~6 months old though. It's a bit hard to tell but I think the soft is fading a bit more than the med, but nothing terrible yet.

As for durability, med is the best - maybe the best of all plastics honestly. Firm breaks in quickly (but is dope when broken in), and soft just gets even softer and "wavey" like a Blowfly, if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Latest posts