• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

vibram five fingers

I had a pair of kso's that I loved to disc in but eventually got tired of being asked about them and stared at.

I wear these now. Just as comfortable but without the toe "pockets"

Great shoes. I've worn them playing courses in Tahoe and have not had a problem other than 'needle stab'.

Yes they get a funk smell to them, but as noted the washing machine is a great tool...use it on your shoes (and clothes) to make people around you happy.

My buddy just got a pair, blew the sole off 3 of the toes his first time on the course with them.

As disc golf shoes - Garbage!

They are made for surfing though, I can see why they don't make good DG shoes.

I tried to play Nockamixon with them and it was painful, I had to change my shoes midround.

they work awesome for running distances from 400-3200 meters on a flat track, but I did not like them for disc golf.

i wear merrell barefoot true glove and trail glove. like them both a lot. i prefer to wear them on course that aren't super woody, ones with more defined trails.

I tried on a pair of the Trail Gloves at our local Quest Outdoor and they were very comfortable. I still want a pair of Spyridons instead :) So far only have my Bikilas (yay being on sale for $45 a couple of months ago heh) and they have been fantastic for disc golfing in. I don't use a foot pivot (or if I do not much of one) and the concrete pads haven't been tearing up my shoes at all. I answered questions from 2 or 3 guys tonite. I think the shoes distracted them from asking about my Utilikilt :)

The Bikilas are fine unless I'm walking over tiny sharp gravel, like some of the stuff being used at the construction at Charlie Vettiner right now. On the plus side, I've walked over larger rocks (a wall of them at the zoo in fact), big branches and such and nothing really punches thru the shoes soles except those tiny sharp rocks. No giant thorns usually here either helps. Spyridons would also be nice for running w/my 7 1/2 year old who just finished her 2nd year of cross country at her elementary school! Doesn't hurt that one a gentle slope hole tonite she threw her Leopard 80 feet. I know adults starting who would be jealous heh. She impressed many people tonite b/c a lot of league players saw her in action. I love it. Need to get her more discs and a good bag.

Yeah..Utilikilt, Vibrams and a mohawk or straw panama hat. That's me playing disc golf. If it's raining I'm wearing my brown crushable fedora instead heh.

I had a pair of kso's that I loved to disc in but eventually got tired of being asked about them and stared at.

I wear these now. Just as comfortable but without the toe "pockets"

Haha this is pretty much why I stopped wearing my five fingers. Everyone asking and staring made me feel like a dbag for some reason. I wear mids only now.

So.....in summary: They are comfortable, they stink like hell, and they are kinda goofy looking. I'm sold!

I'm going to try that,thank you!

The best way to eliminate the odour is to use white vinegar in the wash. I just soak them in a vinegar/water and laundry detergent solution in a pail for 20 minutes, rinse them out well, then dry them outside.

Just got my TrekSports and hitting some rubber teepads tomorrow. Love these things.

I wish this fingered-shoe fad would just die already.

That's exactly what it is, by the way, a fad.

What's that? You think that in 50 years scientists will look back and marvel at how Vibram and other companies mastered how shoes are actually supposed to fit our feet? Honestly.

What's that? You think that in 50 years scientists will look back and marvel at how Vibram and other companies mastered how shoes are actually supposed to fit our feet? Honestly.

Why do you have to come on here and bash on a perfectly legitimate product (that is better for you than traditional shoes) that many people like and enjoy? If the product is not for you, don't post. Don't come in and belittle what others enjoy because you can't understand it.

Who crapped in your cereal, tough guy? That's exactly what you are, by the way, a tough guy.

Any FiveFingers owners in here that have played 50-80 rounds in a year that can comment on how they held up? I'm looking to get my first pair soon, probably TrekSport ones.
I wear my FiveFingers everywhere (which means a lot of washing and cleaning), and live in a city so I walk most places instead of driving. All told I'd say I probably put 600-700 miles into my shoes each year.

Major cons-

-You have to be goddamned careful walking around in pricker bushes, because they will rip the top skin of the shoe. Superglue fixes that.... but, it's something that has to get fixed.
-They suck for traction when wet, unless you've just washed them. Dust gets into your shoes, and combined with moisture, turns into just enough mud to ruin your footing. You'd think they'd be great water shoes, and they really aren't.

Major pros-

-I still wear the first pair (TrekSport) I got early last year. The bottoms are mostly worn out at this point, but they've taken at least 500 miles into them. They aren't the only pair I own, because sometimes you have to wash one pair. Y'know.
-I swear by the footing control these shoes allow you. I can take a stance just about anywhere, mostly coming down to how much I want to balance or grip with my toes. I feel I get more 'push' from the teepad as well. (If you toe drag, these shoes probably aren't for you- each pair I have has a small hole in the side of the left toe from the remnants of mine.)
-The answer to the question everyone asks of "doesn't that hurt on the bottom of your feet?" is no.

If you do end up getting them, you really have to commit to trying them. A lot of people give up after a few times wearing them, because they hurt like a bitch while you're learning a new way to walk. After about a month or so you should know if they're for you or if they want. Me, I had been looking for a shoe which would mimic being barefoot while providing my foot with some armoring, so this was manna from heaven for me.

My biggest concern with these is how my toes would fit. I've got, as my wife calls them "fingers for toes" meaning they're fairly long. I just worry how that would feel comfort wise.

I like to wear them playing DG at smaller venues. The Bikilas have no traction for muddy slopes and I tend to play worse when wearing them. I tore up a pr of KSOs last year playing disc golf. I can not recommend vffs for disc golf since they are not as durable as other options.

My biggest concern with these is how my toes would fit. I've got, as my wife calls them "fingers for toes" meaning they're fairly long. I just worry how that would feel comfort wise.

My fiance has ridiculously long toes and her two pairs both fit her great. She wears them all over the place and she gets tons of people commenting on them, especially when we go out hiking. I think as long as you get the right size that you shouldn't have any problem with them.

Latest posts