• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

vibram five fingers

I got my TrekSports Saturday, shot a personal best on rubber teepads Sunday, and have been wearing them around the house yesterday and today. I'm probably just going to tee off from behind or beside concrete teepads. Love my new feet.

My fiance has ridiculously long toes and her two pairs both fit her great. She wears them all over the place and she gets tons of people commenting on them, especially when we go out hiking. I think as long as you get the right size that you shouldn't have any problem with them.

Hmm. Good to know!

Why do you have to come on here and bash on a perfectly legitimate product (that is better for you than traditional shoes) that many people like and enjoy? If the product is not for you, don't post. Don't come in and belittle what others enjoy because you can't understand it.

lol ok

There's a decent amount (and growing) of science and research out there that shows that "structured" shoes with "support" and huge heel drops (lots of cushioning in the heels) have actually weakened our feet, calves, ankles, and legs over time.

I wear "minimalist" shoes whenever I wear shoes (I'm barefoot fairly often) and my feet always feel great. They're strong, too.

Your feet were designed to do what they need to do pretty darn well. The trick is letting them function, not binding them up in a cast.

Being wearing my Bilkila LS's since I won them in the Vibram Birdie Bash. They are awesome. I never want to put another pair of shoes on my feet. They are so very very comfortable. With that being said, I will never wear them out to disc golf. They are just not durable enough to deal with the crazy terrain our disc golf courses up here have (not to mention the *******s who break bottles all over the course). I may pick up a pair of the Spydirion LS's to try golfing in as they have the thickest and most protective soul out of all of them. Either those or a pair the Speed LS's, I haven't made the decision yet.

I also want to thank Vibram for making the shoes since they have helped my lower back issues in a great way. Also, the backs of my legs have toned up significantly since getting them (not that I was out of shape at all). Great purchase, crap disc golf shoes, still worth purchasing.

They are just not durable enough to deal with the crazy terrain our disc golf courses up here have (not to mention the *******s who break bottles all over the course). I may pick up a pair of the Spydirion LS's to try golfing in as they have the thickest and most protective soul out of all of them. Either those or a pair the Speed LS's, I haven't made the decision yet.

The Speeds (except the XC) have the Bikila bottom, so they will be the same for disc golf as the Bikilas, which I generally have had no problem with. Mud traction is sometimes ok and sometimes crap. Of course, if you just want the Speed's for around town, they would be great for that :) I want a pair of Spyridons too.

these are awesome. and are really better for your feet. But too grippy for concrete tees. Natural tees these things are beast.

these are awesome. and are really better for your feet. But too grippy for concrete tees. Natural tees these things are beast.

My VFF Bikilas aren't too grippy for concrete tees. Those are the only kind that exist here in Louisville. I play in them 3-4 times a week usually. Work great.

I'm thinking of giving a pair of these a try. I would like to get something that maximizes durability, since that seems to be a potential issue with shoes this minimal. The Treksport and Spyridon LS seem to be my best options.

Any experiences with these, be it durability, grip, etc etc, would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking of giving a pair of these a try. I would like to get something that maximizes durability, since that seems to be a potential issue with shoes this minimal. The Treksport and Spyridon LS seem to be my best options.

Any experiences with these, be it durability, grip, etc etc, would be greatly appreciated.

i used the bikila and the komodo sport last year. after playing 1-3 rounds nearly daily, they wore out in the fall. the soles themselves are pretty darn durable - the problem i had was the fabric in between the toes got torn by sticks and debris that would weasel their way in as i was walking. the sole itself was worn, but still serviceable.

i have bikilas, komodo sports, spyridons and the treksport sandal. one thing i hate about the LS models is the strap that goes across the front of your foot under the laces - on the treksport it really dug into my foot and prevented it from spreading out properly. i cut the strap completely out and now they are perfect.

if you want one to try for all-around use, i recommend the komodo sport. the sole is not beefy like the treksport and spyridon. what kind of ground is on the courses you play? that's an important factor. i will be trying my spyridon for DG once the weather warms up. i will also be buying another pair of komodo sports.

right now 6pm.com is having a sale - i picked up my spyridons for 45$. they aren't the LS model, but that doesn't bother me. i've read there are some key differences between the LS model and regular strap model that actually influenced me toward the velcro strap model.

there are bikilas and komodo sports on sale there for 30-35$ as well. i would jump on it if possible - i know i will be. :)

as far as durability on concrete teepads i am actually worried they will chew up the sole of the spyridon faster because they are like lugs instead of a regular sole. we will see. by a couple and try them! at these prices you can get two for the price of one! maybe get a spyridon for 45$ and a komodo sport for 32$; that would be my advice.

Last edited:
and as much as i do enjoy the treksport, they feel too "structured" for my taste. the midsole is too narrow for my feet and it hurts my instep. the sole is super stiff too, i prefer more groundfeel. the spyridons offer that despite having a rockplate.

I wish this fingered-shoe fad would just die already.

That's exactly what it is, by the way, a fad.

What's that? You think that in 50 years scientists will look back and marvel at how Vibram and other companies mastered how shoes are actually supposed to fit our feet? Honestly.

Since you made such a declarative statement...so will I...you are flat wrong sir!

I have significant knee and back pain from time to time throughout my life. When I started wearing these those started to go away...not fully, but a lot less frequent. I got them for disc golf, but honestly I prefer to wear them in everyday situations and not while playing (too much grip on teepads it messes with my run up) But for me they are a great product. And I have been in sales and marketing all my life, so I ignore hype and over marketing...the product is solid

i used the bikila and the komodo sport last year. after playing 1-3 rounds nearly daily, they wore out in the fall. the soles themselves are pretty darn durable - the problem i had was the fabric in between the toes got torn by sticks and debris that would weasel their way in as i was walking. the sole itself was worn, but still serviceable.

i have bikilas, komodo sports, spyridons and the treksport sandal. one thing i hate about the LS models is the strap that goes across the front of your foot under the laces - on the treksport it really dug into my foot and prevented it from spreading out properly. i cut the strap completely out and now they are perfect.

if you want one to try for all-around use, i recommend the komodo sport. the sole is not beefy like the treksport and spyridon. what kind of ground is on the courses you play? that's an important factor. i will be trying my spyridon for DG once the weather warms up. i will also be buying another pair of komodo sports.

right now 6pm.com is having a sale - i picked up my spyridons for 45$. they aren't the LS model, but that doesn't bother me. i've read there are some key differences between the LS model and regular strap model that actually influenced me toward the velcro strap model.

there are bikilas and komodo sports on sale there for 30-35$ as well. i would jump on it if possible - i know i will be. :)

as far as durability on concrete teepads i am actually worried they will chew up the sole of the spyridon faster because they are like lugs instead of a regular sole. we will see. by a couple and try them! at these prices you can get two for the price of one! maybe get a spyridon for 45$ and a komodo sport for 32$; that would be my advice.

Dude, thanks for all the info, and the head's up on the awesome sale.

I may indeed follow your advice and try two. They don't have a Komodo Sport in my size, but I could snag a Spyridon and a KMD Sport.

My local courses are pretty light terrain and natural tees, but I play up north a few times a year on more rugged courses, so I'd like to be prepared for that. I could see myself using the KMD around here and the Spyridon when I travel to rougher locales. Bonus for the fact that they're so easy to pack.

Thanks for the good stuff, Kodachrome.

Yeah Kodachrome, thanks for the info.

Just got a second pair of the Speed XC for 1/2 price. Great deal. Now I'll have 2 pairs of the XC's and a pair of the KSO's. FWIW, there's a huge difference in the 'foot feel' from the XC and KSO but they are both very comfortable.

I decided to play it a bit safe and start with one pair for the time being. I snagged a Spyridon - I just feel like I want the added versatility that the more all-terrain sole provides. If I like it, I'll probably snag a KMD Sport to complement it.

Looking forward to trying these out! I'll post my thoughts after I've spent some time with them.

Thanks again for the helpful info, Kodachrome.

you're very welcome! everyone could use a little extra money in their pocket. :)

i've been wearing my spyridons all day to just test them out and i'll say that they are definitely just as comfortable as my other VFFs and they let my sasquatch feet spread out nicely. i do wish i had gone down a size though - they aren't loose by any means but they could be a bit more snug if i had sized down, which is kind of counter intuitive for VFF. not a deal breaker because i will be using them exclusively for disc golf and some light hiking - no basketball in these babies, haha.

i'm glad you guys were able to get in on the sale! now if it were actually warm enough to use these . . .

So u know Qikly, the KMD Sport is the Komodo Sport, they renamed them at some point.

2 of my 3 pairs are from 6pm. I'm pondering a pair of XCs for the waterproof factor. Bikilas, Speed and Spyridon are my current pairs. If I had Lontra I would use them in all this snow and mud :)

They are 49.99 on woot right now. FYI

So u know Qikly, the KMD Sport is the Komodo Sport, they renamed them at some point.

Thanks for that - I figured there was a relationship, but didn't realize they were the same models.

Played for the first time in my Spyridons today - really enjoyed it. Used them on a variety of terrain and tees - natural, mats, and concrete - all to great effect. It was muddy and damp out there and I feel like if anything the Five Fingers handled those conditions better than regular shoes. My feet got wet, but, I expected that going in and didn't mind. They were kept warmer than I thought overall.

I just love how light these things are. They felt very comfortable and natural to play in. My feet and calves are still adjusting to them for running purposes, but over three rounds of 39 holes they felt nothing but comfortable. I'm very impressed.

Thanks for that - I figured there was a relationship, but didn't realize they were the same models.

Played for the first time in my Spyridons today - really enjoyed it. Used them on a variety of terrain and tees - natural, mats, and concrete - all to great effect. It was muddy and damp out there and I feel like if anything the Five Fingers handled those conditions better than regular shoes. My feet got wet, but, I expected that going in and didn't mind. They were kept warmer than I thought overall.

I just love how light these things are. They felt very comfortable and natural to play in. My feet and calves are still adjusting to them for running purposes, but over three rounds of 39 holes they felt nothing but comfortable. I'm very impressed.

Yes! come to the dark side. I've found my run up to be screwed up after wearing boots all winter, but I'm sure some field work will sort it out. I love them because now rainy days and wet conditions don't bother me since I am not wearing socks. :)

Latest posts