• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Hybrids

If any engineers could maybe explain how flight characteristics were kept in the making of that disc, that'd be great :)

Bump.

Are the 2013 VO Summits (or any model) much different flight characteristics-wise from medium or firm of the same model? Does a 2013 VO Summit pretty much act like a Summit or do they dump fade or anything?

My 2013 VO hybrid Ridge just arrived on Saturday and I took it out and played with it, and it is a little funky, not sure I would recommend it, having each half of the disc with a different firmness does not really add anything, I should have just ordered a normal firm or medium ridge. The disc is supposed to be half firm and half medium, but feels more like half medium and half soft.

My 2013 VO hybrid Ridge just arrived on Saturday and I took it out and played with it, and it is a little funky, not sure I would recommend it, having each half of the disc with a different firmness does not really add anything, I should have just ordered a normal firm or medium ridge. The disc is supposed to be half firm and half medium, but feels more like half medium and half soft.

Did it seem much different in terms of putting? Fade more/less? Easier to wobble?

I used my 2012 for a year or two and it was more stable from the get go and has stayed a very straight line drive putter into its wear. As far as the firmness goes, their blend has gotten softer over the years, not liking how soft the firms are now, I have some first run medium ridges that are nearly as stiff as current run white firm ridges.

I took my hybrid ridge out again, this time to the local short course, and I really do not recommend them, it is a pretty lame disc, there are so many other putt/approach discs I would recommend before a hybrid ridge, icon clozer is much better, lucid judge is much better, the hybrid ridge is not a good disc for putting or approaching, disc golf is all about rotation, controlling rotation, how much rotation, etc., so you want a disc that is really uniform all around the flight plate, rim, etc., so the vibram hybrids end up more a novelty than an actual disc for playing on the course.

I took my hybrid ridge out again, this time to the local short course, and I really do not recommend them, it is a pretty lame disc, there are so many other putt/approach discs I would recommend before a hybrid ridge, icon clozer is much better, lucid judge is much better, the hybrid ridge is not a good disc for putting or approaching, disc golf is all about rotation, controlling rotation, how much rotation, etc., so you want a disc that is really uniform all around the flight plate, rim, etc., so the vibram hybrids end up more a novelty than an actual disc for playing on the course.

From a physics standpoint, it shouldn't matter too much. Where it might make a difference is when it hits the ground. Haven't tried one yet, so I can't comment any further! Interesting posts! Keep 'em comin'!

I have a very SOFT Ascent that fights the wind for me very nicely.

I have been playing a summit, Obex, trak and a lace in the half & half mixture for a little over a year now. I could NOT disagree more with what Tom wrote. He writes that he did not like the half & half ridge and there are much better discs on the market. This thread is about vibram hybrids, not which putter is less lame.:wall:

Also, they do not fly any differently than a normal medium or firm disc. When my trak got broken in, it started to become less stable.

I have been playing a summit, Obex, trak and a lace in the half & half mixture for a little over a year now. I could NOT disagree more with what Tom wrote. He writes that he did not like the half & half ridge and there are much better discs on the market. This thread is about vibram hybrids, not which putter is less lame.:wall:

Also, they do not fly any differently than a normal medium or firm disc. When my trak got broken in, it started to become less stable.

To be clear, we're talking about hybrids, but are we talking about firmer mediums, or softer firms.

OR are we talking about one wing of the disc being medium and the other wing being firm?

Yeah, half is medium and half is firm. They fly a bit more OS (IMO) than the regular M or F runs. Love the discs, just a bit more beef for each mold.

Thanks for the clarification! Any word if they're going to made available to the general public? I guess it depends on the feedback they got on them, but it sounds like pretty good feedback so far.

Thanks for the clarification! Any word if they're going to made available to the general public? I guess it depends on the feedback they got on them, but it sounds like pretty good feedback so far.

They (every year made) are available to the public, though many models are sold out. Limited run every year. I have a '13 VO Ridge (red/white) I'm selling, 10/10 if interested PM me. The new ones are black/white and can be found here.

They (every year made) are available to the public, though many models are sold out. Limited run every year. I have a '13 VO Ridge (red/white) I'm selling, 10/10 if interested PM me. The new ones are black/white and can be found here.

Okay, I will P.M. if I'm interested! (I'll have to think about it. Well, see how my rounds are going the next week or so, and I will consider it based on if I think it'll add to my game.) Thanks for the information!