• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Viking

AdamCaudle

Double Eagle Member
I've been playing regularly again for the past 2 months and I'm getting some decent controlled D again with my teebirds and leopard. I remember my first distance driver I got when I was a noob was a viking, and it was a good straight flyer then, also my first ace disc. I've been thinking about stepping up to one when for when I need nice controlled distance. FWIW I throw my Teebirds and leopard about 290-310 on average sometimes I can get the Teebird out to about 330-350 when I get better control of my nose angle and some decent snap. What do you guys think about me trying out the Viking. Yea or nay? I don't see too many people throwing them or talking about them on here, I think they are a very underrated disc.

Well I've heard it here and there but not many people throw it like you said and when disc sales tank...innova just renames the mold as something else (cough) lycan and resells more. I do think it's a good next step up from teebirds and leos

Yeah I like it as a good easy to throw distance driver, though it doesn't feel as flippy as something like a Valk.

I throw for similar distance with a Star Teebird, and like you, enjoy the Viking. I find it can hold a nice flat line for a long time with a small hyzer flip, but is still safely stable enough to throw flat and not turnover to an extreme (like a beat Valk can). Because of it's accuracy, it seems like a natural step up from the Teebird when you've got the form to get it up to speed.

Champ Vikes are very nice - and good ones get snatched up quick on the marketplace as not too many folks throw it so you don't see alot of used (and un-inked) ones. The older runs were a little flatter, but less stable; they now usually have a slight rise in the top, and are more stable ... at least from what I've thrown.

Last edited:
Yes very underated.

The viking is sweet! Definitely underrated...probably going to go OOP soon

^^^ As for this it is now your fault if this happens. You my friend will receive one PM from me every day reminding you that it's your doing....

AND YOU JINXED US!!!!:thmbdown::thmbdown:

lol!

I lost mine several months ago on my home course, just as I was getting to like it as my go-to disc. Love the Vike.

It better not go oop. I do not need another oop disc in my bag. It is my main driver and feel it is one of the most under rated discs. It can be used as a longer teebird and is worth trying

I think they are very similar to the valk but they dont flip as much, a little overstable. Unfortunately I lost all the ones I had. If they are headed to OOP, then I should try to restock.

I love my viking! For my distance range 320-350, avg about 320, the viking flies extremely straight with a little bit of turn. It's the fastest disc that I throw and it works great on tunnel shots or where I have to hit a narrow gap. I throw a 170g champ. It does not handle stronger headwinds very well though, it will flip if the wind is strong enough and then I throw my Banshee instead.

Vikings are nice and versatile. I would like to try them in Star plastic. Someone should start petitioning Dave D. to do a small run for the factory store.

That sounds like a fine plan to me as long as the Viking is an addition and not taking the place of one of the discs you already throw.

I wouldn't worry too much about it going OOP. People have been speculating about that for quite a while now and it hasn't happened yet. There are also quite a few good discs in that same approximate speed/stability range so finding a replacement won't be hard even if it does happen.

If anyone would like I have a orange 175g 8/10 for sale. PM me if your interested.

The Viking is NOT OOP!

The viking is sweet! Definitely underrated...probably going to go OOP soon

The Viking is not OOP (out-of-production) and is not in any danger of being discontinued. It is currently available in DX and Champion plastic. It has a flight similar to a longer, straighter Eagle or a longer TL. It is comparable to a straighter Valkyrie.

If you are interested in seeing the Viking in other plastics, please send your requests to infoATinnovadiscsDOTcom.

i love the viking. great disc for easy straight distance. i have a nice pink domey one and a record top flatty that bombs. both of them are at least 5 yrs+ in my bag.

One of Dave D's favorite discs. The Viking/Beast combo is a sweet thing. The Beast in champ plastic is more on the stability of the Viking until it gets well seasoned.

Latest posts