• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vinyl Cutting Machines

The Best

http://www.silhouettemachine.com/

this is really the best thing you could want i got one for my wife and she loves it it allows you to cut anything that you can design as opposed to the Criqsh*t that only lets you cut the designs on the cartiages that you ahve to spend a million on. They can get upwards of about 450 for the 24" ones if you use US cutters but those are only really good for signs etc...

http://www.silhouettemachine.com/

this is really the best thing you could want i got one for my wife and she loves it it allows you to cut anything that you can design as opposed to the Criqsh*t that only lets you cut the designs on the cartiages that you ahve to spend a million on. They can get upwards of about 450 for the 24" ones if you use US cutters but those are only really good for signs etc...

I would have to disagree with you on your assessment of the larger cutters. They can do anything that the desktop can and then some. There is more of a learning curve with the larger ones. But you can attain great detail and quality with a wider format sign cutter.

The contour cutting feature is for cutting out around preprinted designs or decals. The laser reads printed registration marks and cuts around the object accordingly. Its great for cutting out stickers, tshirt trandfers, etc.... I didnt necessarily need the feature and have yet to use it, but figured I might as well get one with it so I didn't have to upgrade in the future. Plus any thing that has a laser is way cooler in my book!

definitey go with the larger sized plotters if you can. It allows you do alot more and have way more freedom.

I think Im gonna go with the 12" one for $250. Just because I am tight on money. I really want one for is to do some pattern stuff, and lots of circle stuff.

I dont really care about the size because Im only going to use it for discs. But I do care about detail like you ^ said. Does anyone think I should spend an extra $100 for a better one? I really care about quality but I am only willing to spend $350 maybe a little more.

be careful with the smaller ones. I've checked into a few that had cutting widths much shorter than the vinyl width they accept. ie takes 15" vinyl but can only cut a 11" wide design or something along those lines.

I dont really care about the size because Im only going to use it for discs. But I do care about detail like you ^ said. Does anyone think I should spend an extra $100 for a better one? I really care about quality but I am only willing to spend $350 maybe a little more.

if you plan on dyeing a lot a big one is neccessary. plus you can use it a lot more. the larger ones are meant to do more work and longer. try us cutter. you can get a larger one in your price range.

us cutter has a 24" for $250 I believe. I got the small one for crafting and wish I would have spent the extra $50 to get the larger one.

be careful with the smaller ones. I've checked into a few that had cutting widths much shorter than the vinyl width they accept. ie takes 15" vinyl but can only cut a 11" wide design or something along those lines.

This is correct sir... My "24' inch plotter can accept material up to 30 inches wide, but only cut 24 inches of it. the extra space is for the head clearance.

I know is this a dead thread, but I need a little bit of help in choosing the right vinyl cutting machine.

I've been reading opinions on forums and amazon reviews and because I will use it mostly to cut vinyl and a little bit of paper the Cameo seems to be the best budget cutter (max $200).
Some people are saying the Brother ScannCut could be a good choice too.
This article compares the 2 machines:
https://freshlypickedblog.com/brother-scan-and-cut-vs-silhouette-cameo/

The only big issue I could find about the Cameo is that the software is a bit hard to use and bluetooth is not the best.
Is the Cameo the right machine for a newbie?

Thanks

I just picked up a Silhouette Cameo 3. They just came out with a 4 so you can find the 3 for cheaper now. I found mine on wall world for $150 looks like it's back up to $200 now. I have used a Cricut and it was fine, but I didn't need all the other stuff it did. The Cameo is supposed to cut directly from a roll w/o the cutting mat but it doesn't do as much other stuff.

LINK

I didn't even know that I would find the topic of my second hobby on the site about disc golf. I have been doing DIY for a couple of years now and have been using this Cricut for about a year. I'm not a super professional in this business, and that's probably why my vinyl cutter is enough for me. But my friend's Cricut is more expensive and she is engaged in crafting for sale.