• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Visiting Tampa Area (Lutz) Where to Play??

Didn'tSeeThatTree

Bogey Member
So Thanksgiving is in Lutz FL with the in-laws this year. With the credits I've earned the wife will probably give me a 4 hour pass to go play a round during the trip. Anybody got a course recommendation? I'm a fast player, so if there are two courses close enough together even better! Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Picninc island is a must!!!! Cypress point also!!!! But a short jog over the bridge Cliff stevens and coachman are close by each other!!!! Great courses!!!!

Another vote for Cliff stevens and Picninc island. 22nd Street park is very close to Lutz and a very worthy 9 basket course with 18 different tees. There is a course in Lutz on a ball course. However, it is not that great. I also like Taylor park a lot.

I have not played Cypress yet but I hear it is a hard gold level course.

How much challenge are you looking for?

Hey, thanks for the recommendations. I'd love to try Cliff Stevens, but it's probably a little too much driving time. Cypress + Picnic looks like a great option! The more challenging the better!

For a four hour 36 hole adventure, Cliff Stevens/Coachman is probably your best bet. Medard, Cypress and Picnic are all fine courses, but are longer and generally harder, and therefore require more time to play.

Tampa

Former Tampa local, soon to lose the "former" of that again.. I can't wait. Anyhow, my two cents:
- If you want the best views, interesting terrain, and to throw two holes on the gulf of mexico, play Picnic Island. It's my personal favorite in Florida. Now is the perfect time to play it. It gets a bit warm in the summer with the open terrain. This park is more secluded than Cypress Point.
- If you want more of a challenge, overall, and more length, play Cypress Point. Cypress does have some fairways that cross, along with a walking path through the park. On hole 4 (I think it's 4, might be 5.. It's the first par 5), watch out for the water directly behind the pin.
- These courses are 20-30 minutes apart depending on traffic, FYI
- 22nd St is a quick and fun play through some amazing trees, but play the other two before you go in what is considered the hood in Tampa
- In Clearwater, NE Coachman and Cliff Stephens are a 5 minute drive apart/can walk a trail that connects the two parks if you are bold

Another vote for Cliff stevens and Picninc island. 22nd Street park is very close to Lutz and a very worthy 9 basket course with 18 different tees. There is a course in Lutz on a ball course. However, it is not that great. I also like Taylor park a lot.

I have not played Cypress yet but I hear it is a hard gold level course.

How much challenge are you looking for?

Thanks for the 22nd Street Park recommendation! Feels like a hidden gem. I took my two brother in-laws who had never played before. It was a great Park... hard enough for an experienced player to enjoy, but easy enough for a beginner. I was surprised at how beautiful it was. The large trees with the Spanish Moss made for amazing fairways.

We tried Cypress Point and yeah... Kind of difficult haha. Lots of fun, but I don't quite have the accuracy or distance for many birdie looks. I was happy to finish at +8.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the recommendation... I wish I had time to play them all.

Latest posts