• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Walked off the course

ncbrett92

Bogey Member
So I did something today I never thought I would do in disc golf.....Walked off a course without finishing my round. I was so frustrated with the course that I just gave up and said "This is't fun. I'm going to go play somewhere that is" I was playing decently. Nothing to bad or anything. Just the underbrush at this course (It was the first time I had played this course) was so thick that it was miserable trying to find and then throw from missed shots. So this got me thinking.....

What are some of the reasons that you have walked off a course without finishing your round? And how far did you get in that round before you gave up? I made it 9 holes then bailed on the back 9.

I dislocated my shoulder on hole 2 once. However, I was able to reduce it myself right there and I walked the rest of the course with the group so they could still get their round in.

Played a course when I was on vacation in San Luis Obispo (Laguna Lake, I think). I only had two hours before I had to meet my fiancee (who was at a seminar of some sort). I figured that would be plenty of time to sneak in 18! No such luck, I was struggling and spent so much time looking for wayward discs in the high grass, I only made it to the 12th or 13th hole before my two hour window was up and I had to leave

A ton of on call. (Sometimes it costs a walk off fine / cash forfeit in group play )

Others more than 3 times for me cutting out on a planned 18;
Lightening
Fatigue / heated out
Course conditions too poor (mud mostly)
Tension within a group and I bail
Partner needed to go, left when they did
Join up at another course
Got dark
Got hungry

Played a course when I was on vacation in San Luis Obispo (Laguna Lake, I think). I only had two hours before I had to meet my fiancee (who was at a seminar of some sort). I figured that would be plenty of time to sneak in 18! No such luck, I was struggling and spent so much time looking for wayward discs in the high grass, I only made it to the 12th or 13th hole before my two hour window was up and I had to leave

Laguna is less than wesome. If you're ever in the area again play Heilmann park in Atascadero or Waller Park in Santa Maria. Castoro Cellars is fun too, and you get a wine tasting with your 5 buck round fee.

Only time I've walked/hobbled off is when I sprained an ankle.

Walked off a couple of times, but the worst was when my brother got heat stroke. We could have potentially lost him that day, so it's pretty scary looking back on that round.

Walked off of Waterworks in KC the first time. My friends and I struggled so much with navigation that we ran out of time with only about half played, and not a consecutive "half" as we never found 2, and skipped from 9 to 18 (or something like that).

When I felt symptoms of heat exhaustion coming on and there wasn't a known water source for miles. I did go back and finish.

I will walk off anytime it starts raining. Golfing in the rain is miserable. Life is too short.

Most recently, I played Kelley Park in San Jose and my friends launched my favorite Blizzard Katana on a hole. Some of holes needed to be cut and because of that, we couldn't find my disc and decided to cut out after 6, $1 per hole.

I walked off the course two days ago on hole 14 of 18 @ Kindcaid Park, had to poop

Once when I was on a weekend getaway with the wife. We were to meet at a certain time and I had to leave after 12. Then a few times when I was on-call.

I cannot remember doing this but I have wanted to at several tournaments due to the someone in a group I was paired with. Now I tend to not play certain tournaments if I know I may be paired with someone that is annoying, has no self awareness, no humility, etc. These types of personalities strike me as having a 1000 rated disc golf life and 400 rated real life.

Lightning makes me stop...
alligators too...
I played through some bros fighting with pit bulls nearby ready to go nuts...

Snow over my knees... I keep going
rain... keep going
90+ degrees and humid as all get out... keep going
poison ivy... keep going
ticks... keep going
mosquitoes... depends, are we talking a wall of 'squitoes or just an average amount (to me that matters)
playing with miserable ppl... keep going
hobos and crack heads... keep going

^not an exhaustive list, but you get the idea :D

I was on a DG road trip with three others and we ended up walking off four courses in one day. This was back before smartphones, apps, or DGCR so we were relying on the printed course directory and a map to aid our road trip. We did find all the courses we went looking for, but the problem was that once we arrived, signage was a big issue to know where to start and where to go once we started.

First course was a private P2P one, so getting started wasn't so tough. There was no one there...no one taking money (honor box that we paid) and no one else playing...just cows in the next field over. Once we got out to about hole 4, we started having trouble figuring out which baskets to play to. Lots of open field with multiple baskets in view and no maps or labeling to guide us. Hole 9 finished near the parking lot, so after two hours in the hot sun with no shade while playing through barely mowed fields, we bailed and decided to try another (and we were hungry).

The next courses we tried was in a city park that was easy enough to find but there was no park signage leading to tee 1. We drove until we found a basket, parked in the nearest lot, figuring we'd just start there even if it was hole 8 or something because we'd end up back where we started eventually. We played a couple holes before we caught up to another group. They waved us on so we threw our drives while they were still on the hole. When we got into the fairway, we couldn't find one of our drives...one we saw land in the middle of a well mowed field. We scoured the hole for 20-25 minutes before deciding it was gone. The group in front of us had finished out and had moved on before we left the tee so they were no help. So little help that we didn't actually see where they went for the next tee, and there were no signs to help either. We tried three different directions and found nothing at all. So we gave up and backtracked to the car and left. (turns out the walk to the next tee was a long one, so even if we had tried the right direction, we didn't go nearly far enough)

The next course we found tee 1 without a problem but the place was mobbed. We waited at least 20 minutes to get on the tee and start, then waited at nearly every hole after that. About six holes in, we realized the next few holes played parallel to an extremely busy roadway (four lanes of traffic on a Friday afternoon busy). It was a bit unnerving for us (who weren't that great at that point) to be throwing so close to traffic with the chance of a shot ending up in the road. So after taking 90+ minutes to get to hole 8, we bailed again.

At this point we were about seven hours into our day (it was 4pm and we'd started at 9) and had played a total of about 18 holes at three different places. We decided to head back to the hotel where we were staying. As we drove, we spotted more baskets. It wasn't in our plans but there it was, another course, might as well give it a shot. It was on a college campus which worked for me because the course I learned on was on a college campus. We got to hole 10 before things got tricky. It played around the corner of a building into what seemed to be the center of campus. When we walked up to look for the basket, we saw nothing but people walking around. No way we wanted to throw that blind shot with that many people in the danger zone, so we decided to skip ahead. Hole 11 had a similar issue. So did hole 12. And 13. At that point, we said forget it, we got nine in, that's enough and left.

One day, four courses, four incomplete rounds for various reasons.

I've had to leave early because there were just too many people playing and the pace was way too slow. Sometimes on the weekend it takes 2-3 hours to play a round because of all the mobs.

I ran off my "home" course once due to lightning striking a tree about 200' away.
Walked off Avalon Peaks in Apex, NC because the course is horrible.
I have played incomplete rounds dozens of times. Usually at my "home" course because after 18 I can easily play 1-4 on the way back to the car.
I have walked of several time due to darkness or park closing and I just had to get as many holes in before they locked the gate.

Hmm twice I think trying to bag new courses each time. Got to the 3rd hole of Monroe and it was just too muddy. There was also a group of probably 15 in front of me. Was too muddy when I tried to bag Osage as well. That course seemed a bit creepy to me as well.. probably something to do with working its way around a corn field.

Latest posts