• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Walked off the course

Lightening
Fatigue / heated out
Course conditions too poor (mud mostly)
Tension within a group and I bail
Partner needed to go, left when they did
Join up at another course
Got dark
Got hungry

A buddy got hit by a disc, felt that was a good reason to not stick around. But I've left a couple out of frustration of searching, losing a favorite disc, and heavy rain (I'll throw in a light rain.) never left when money is on the line or tourney/league play though. Only casual.

The only time i ever left was from a multitude of things. I played my first rd and went to start my second of the day. It was hotter than the 1st. More Humid. That, paired with throwing into the weeds on the first 4 holes, including approach shots. I said F*** this S***. Only time I have ever quit a round. But it was my 2nd rd of the day, so that may not count!

I hit the course once and played a decent round and decided to rock the front 9 again because i was feeling good that day. There was a guy who teed off when i was on hole 4 and intentionally caught up to me by hole 6. He was extremelly talkative and seemed like he was only there to chat. He didnt mean to be troublesome im sure... probably just wanted to meet someone. Im not anti social but this guy was really draggin my vibe and it became awkward. I was already drenched in sweat and dirt so i just said i had enough. Shook his hand and bounced on hole 7.

Last edited:
I've had a couple of sanctioned rounds stopped due to lightning, with the worst being 20 holes into the second round of an event at Monroe. The lightning was so intense, I nearly jumped out of my skin trying to get back to the shelter while three near-simultaneous strikes surrounded us. That storm kept up until dark, & the TD had to throw out the entire round. :(

Twice, I've DNF'd between rounds (informing the TD) due to heat exhaustion. When you're seeing white-out vision & have gone through your two gallons of fluids already, it's time to hit the pool instead of the course.

I did DNF on Father's Day (which is why this thread caught my eye). Unsanctioned club monthly event, and I'd hit 13 trees in our first 9 holes at Idlewild (we started round 2 on hole 6). Hadn't planned to play that day, after just playing a B-Tier the day before, but wanted to go with my friends. Hot, limping & destined to finish last or nearly last anyway, with the family waiting to take me out to dinner, I opted for the family time. :eek:

While out course bagging (generally solo), I try to play the entire course, but I think I've had one or two occasions where I've played 2/3rds of a course, and the rest is laid out in front of me, completely visible because it's just 4 to 6 more holes back and forth across the open space in a park: unappealing, and boring as heck. I usually try to finish, but every now and then, the "It's Groundhog Day again!" feeling just becomes too strong.

I never used to bail on a round, but that was when the nearest course was a 30 minute drive away. If I'm investing an hour of round-trip driving to get to the course, I'm absolutely going to make sure to get my round in.

Now though, my home course is just down the road, so I'm much more prone to bail if I'm not really enjoying the round. There doesn't even always have to be a reason. Sometimes, I'm just not feeling it that day and decide that I'd rather just go home and relax outside with a beer.

:\ I've only walked off one course and it was simply because I was overwhelmed with frustration.

My first time visiting a local course, I went alone. I figured I'd spend a little extra time scouting my way from hole to hole and took a photo of the course map with me just in case. Finding the location of the first hole was hard enough, but right after that, the next three holes were all located within eye-sight, all in one big field. I didn't know which tee pad was for which pin, and which pin was 2, 3, or 4. After eventually figuring it out, I proceeded to the next few holes. Holes 5 and 6 weren't bad at all, but hole 7 had a huge tree that had fallen right across the middle of the fairway. We had just had a strong storm a few days prior, so I gave it my best and threw over it blindly. My disc appeared to have taken the proper fairway line, but veered just off to the left at the end. I heard it hit a tree, but couldn't see where it landed. I looked up and down the thick brush on the left side of the fairway for about 30 minutes. Thorn bushes had scratched up my chins and sticky plant seeds were stuck all over my shoes and shorts. The driver I threw was brand new, and I couldn't find it to save my life. Rather cut my losses and continue on, I decided the course wasn't worth playing, so I left and headed to the local sporting goods store and bought a replacement. I went home afterwards and rated the course with an appropriate rating.

That night, I actually lost some sleep wondering where that stray disc could have gone. The next morning, I grabbed a machete and made the 30 minute drive back to the course. After about only 10 minutes, I cleared much of the brush where I knew the disc had to be and found my lost Mamba!

I don't think I'll ever go back to that course again.

Last edited:
My most often reason for not finishing a course is I am playing on my lunch break and I only have so much time. One course nearby is a pretty long and it isn't possible to reasonable play through 18 in around an hour. So I usually play 1-7 and 16-18.

Last fall I quit 6 holes into a PDGA sanctioned round due to injury. Something tore in my abdomen and throwing a disc literally caused blackout-level pain.

I quit once due to 40 mph winds, but that was back in the day. I've played through similar/worse conditions since then.

Hmm, what else. One time I lost discs on consecutive holes so eschewed hole 18 to go back and look (found one!)

Do people really quit due to lightning? For the most part it's an empty threat; lightning is much more visible (and audible) than an actual risk to safety. If it ever got so bad that I was actually scared of being struck by lightning I wouldn't walk off a course, I'd look for a spot to shelter in place.

I will walk off anytime it starts raining. Golfing in the rain is miserable. Life is too short.

Dang son, I'd say life's too short to not play disc golf...especially for something like rain. With the heat we've had recently I've been wishing for rain.

DSCF0734.jpg

This one course is beautiful and there are some cool holes but they have narrow fairways and if you throw anything out of bounds past May you basically insta lose your discs in the thick rough which they just never cut all season. Me and my buddies were just like F this place, no fun if you know you're gonna lose a disc every other hole. Have no clue how long we lasted till we gave up but before May the place is nice. You just can't play during the grow season. First time I played there there was snow on the ground and loved the place, with growth it's just a nightmare as you spend more time looking for discs with a low likelyhood of finding them.

I quit once due to 40 mph winds, but that was back in the day. I've played through similar/worse conditions since then.

Dang son, I'd say life's too short to not play disc golf...especially for something like rain. With the heat we've had recently I've been wishing for rain.

DSCF0734.jpg

With high winds and lightning being around trees isn't such a good idea imo. Just last week me and my gf were hiking and got caught in a thunderstorm and there were huge chunks of wood falling to the ground. Luckily we didn't get hit by anything big but my girl did get hit with a random branch but there were some widowmakers on the trail on our way back that weren't there in the beginning of the hike. I love playing in the rain, it gets hot in the summer time and rain makes it easy to play the game of the Gods. :D

Played a course when I was on vacation in San Luis Obispo (Laguna Lake, I think). I only had two hours before I had to meet my fiancee (who was at a seminar of some sort). I figured that would be plenty of time to sneak in 18! No such luck, I was struggling and spent so much time looking for wayward discs in the high grass, I only made it to the 12th or 13th hole before my two hour window was up and I had to leave

Had almost the same experience on that course. I'm used to having issues if i'm not throwing well, but a decent drive that ends up in wet waist high grass was too much. skipped several threw backward from a tee toward the basket closest to where I parked and left.

I've cut rounds short on a course that was longer than I was expecting and ran out of time.

I've cut rounds short at my home course a couple times just because I was playing like crap and in the wrong frame of mind. Went out to take the edge off while pissed at the world. After a couple shanks I wasn't finding a happy place but just getting more pissed off, so I quit for the day.

I have walked off after running into 5+ groups of 4-5 people, each group backed up 1-2 holes. It wasn't worth trying to play through that mess.

I have left due to a league shot gun starting - They had no signs posted anywhere that indicated league play that night. Had no interest paying into the pot to join in.

Some of the courses with weekend leagues tend to get rowdy here, with high levels of beer consumption/being obnoxous seems to be enouraged. I have also walked off a course from that.

Other than the small annoyances with other golfers/leagues - I have had two instances where my disc landed next to an inground beehive, I didn't realize my mistake before it was too late.

I now just tee off between 7 and 8 AM, that way I have the whole course to myself. :)

The last time I left before finishing the course, it was because I went swimming for a disc on the last hole. I suppose I should have holed out, but I was soaking wet in my skivvies, and I wasn't keeping serious score for the round.

Other than that, I occasionally leave because of hunger. I might start a second round, but if I'm starting to play sloppy and need food, I'll take off when the course brings me reasonably close to my car.

Maybe this applies too: I confess, I hate losing discs so much that sometimes I'll skip holes where the risk is higher than I want to deal with.

I try to play 4-5 rounds a week. I've played thousands of rounds over the years. That said, I've walked away from many a round for a variety of reasons without regret. I've quit due to weather, crowded courses, hunger and boredom. Never quit a tourney round even when injury caused my body to beg me to stop.

:\ I've only walked off one course and it was simply because I was overwhelmed with frustration.

My first time visiting a local course, I went alone. I figured I'd spend a little extra time scouting my way from hole to hole and took a photo of the course map with me just in case. Finding the location of the first hole was hard enough, but right after that, the next three holes were all located within eye-sight, all in one big field. I didn't know which tee pad was for which pin, and which pin was 2, 3, or 4. After eventually figuring it out, I proceeded to the next few holes. Holes 5 and 6 weren't bad at all, but hole 7 had a huge tree that had fallen right across the middle of the fairway. We had just had a strong storm a few days prior, so I gave it my best and threw over it blindly. My disc appeared to have taken the proper fairway line, but veered just off to the left at the end. I heard it hit a tree, but couldn't see where it landed. I looked up and down the thick brush on the left side of the fairway for about 30 minutes. Thorn bushes had scratched up my chins and sticky plant seeds were stuck all over my shoes and shorts. The driver I threw was brand new, and I couldn't find it to save my life. Rather cut my losses and continue on, I decided the course wasn't worth playing, so I left and headed to the local sporting goods store and bought a replacement. I went home afterwards and rated the course with an appropriate rating.

That night, I actually lost some sleep wondering where that stray disc could have gone. The next morning, I grabbed a machete and made the 30 minute drive back to the course. After about only 10 minutes, I cleared much of the brush where I knew the disc had to be and found my lost Mamba!

I don't think I'll ever go back to that course again.

Altering the course for personal benefit is highly frowned upon by golfers and parks up round these parts. :|

Went to Flip City during a vacation. Played one round. Just getting ready to start another when my wife calls me. She was back at our rented cabin. Decided she would go outside in her power wheelchair. Got stuck. So , we left, drove 25 miles back to the cabin.

Didn't make it back to Flip City, but we did play a bunch of the courses around Ludington and further south.

Last fall I quit 6 holes into a PDGA sanctioned round due to injury. Something tore in my abdomen and throwing a disc literally caused blackout-level pain.

Hmm, what else. One time I lost discs on consecutive holes so eschewed hole 18 to go back and look (found one!)

Do people really quit due to lightning? For the most part it's an empty threat; lightning is much more visible (and audible) than an actual risk to safety. If it ever got so bad that I was actually scared of being struck by lightning I wouldn't walk off a course, I'd look for a spot to shelter in place.

DSCF0734.jpg

I intentionally hit the course every time it rains if possible. unless theres a serious storm coming with threat of hail or tornadoes. (Seasonal) Somehow its very appealing to me to play in the rain. I mean, im soaking wet and covered in dirt everytime i play anyway. To me its like playing an alternate course. But most importantly, i want rainplay skills for future touneys. Water is just another obstacle.

Latest posts