• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Walked off the course

Way back when she was just my new girlfriend, my wife and I took a trip that included a new course I wanted to play. She started out ok but by hole 12 (she doesn't throw) she had had enough and the under-the-breath complaining turned in to a full-on stomp away.

I decided she was slightly more important than playing the rest of this course so I went and got my drive and jogged back to catch up to her (even though she couldn't leave with the keys in my golf bag). She asked what I was doing and didn't i want to play this course? I explained I did but not nearly as much as I wanted to hang out with her.

Even if it wasn't 100% true, it was what she needed to hear and she decided that I was an awesome guy and she would go ahead and walk the rest of the course with me and we actually ended up having a good time.

I never used to bail on a round, but that was when the nearest course was a 30 minute drive away. If I'm investing an hour of round-trip driving to get to the course, I'm absolutely going to make sure to get my round in.

Now though, my home course is just down the road, so I'm much more prone to bail if I'm not really enjoying the round. There doesn't even always have to be a reason. Sometimes, I'm just not feeling it that day and decide that I'd rather just go home and relax outside with a beer.
You should try relaxing outside with a beer (on the course) and save the drive home.:D

This one course is beautiful and there are some cool holes but they have narrow fairways and if you throw anything out of bounds past May you basically insta lose your discs in the thick rough which they just never cut all season. Me and my buddies were just like F this place, no fun if you know you're gonna lose a disc every other hole. Have no clue how long we lasted till we gave up but before May the place is nice. You just can't play during the grow season. First time I played there there was snow on the ground and loved the place, with growth it's just a nightmare as you spend more time looking for discs with a low likelyhood of finding them.

What course?

Altering the course for personal benefit is highly frowned upon by golfers and parks up round these parts. :|

I think in some parks it's just a necessity. Around my way they don't put in the required effort to keep all the holes playable at certain courses, if they get unplayable I go out with a weed wacker and other stuff to get the course playable again. My home course has 1 dude who maintains it other then grass mowing so it seems he needs help as he hasn't touched certain holes since they put in the course last year.

Last edited:
I think in some parks it's just a necessity. Around my way they don't put in the required effort to keep all the holes playable at certain courses, if they get unplayable I go out with a weed wacker and other stuff to get the course playable again. My home course has 1 dude who maintains it other then grass mowing so it seems he needs help as he hasn't touched certain holes since they put in the course last year.

I played Trap Pond State Park last week while on vacation and was shocked at the amount of dead fall. It's like no one has ever moved a limb or stick that fell. Good course, had fun just surprised there did not seem to be any one maintaining the woods. The grass was being cut while I was there so it is really only a woods issue.

It's at White Clay creek state park in DE. I liked the course a lot but it's like 100% that if you go out with 4 people there will be discs lost lol.
Just found it. Looks pretty good. I would have played it last week but i started at Trap then played Iron Hills and by then my fiance' had had enough disc for the day. :\

My most often reason for not finishing a course is I am playing on my lunch break and I only have so much time. One course nearby is a pretty long and it isn't possible to reasonable play through 18 in around an hour. So I usually play 1-7 and 16-18.

I wish I worked close enough to a course so that I could play on a lunch break.

Once while playing a forehand only round I threw my NS Firebird into a 30 ft section of nasty swamp. You know the type where you step into the edge of it and sink two feet, so I though oh well that's that. I played about 4 more holes before I couldn't take the thought of loosing my favorite forehand disc. So, I got back in my car, drove home, grabbed my boots and returned to find my disc. Took about an hour wading around in the swamp and reeds before I found it. By then I was covered in mud and smelled of sulfur, so I called it a day and went home happy to have my Firebird back in the bag.

You should try relaxing outside with a beer (on the course) and save the drive home.:D

I respect evryones opinion and feedom. I'd like to take this opporitunity to peacefully disagree with drinking and throwing. Dont get me wrong. I drink like a fish. At home or in public. But not when im throwing. Ever. At all. People get hurt that way. Besides, Thats what hole 19 is for! Cheers! :) :) :)

I have played through insane heat, Water to the ankles on teeboxes during Pdga rnds. Winds that are a joke and drunken @$$ clowns during league. Golf is You vs. The Course. Some days it wins but I have yet let mothernature in anyway take my round from me. Tore a pec one day after arriving at a new course. I FH hzerflipped Valkaries for 16 holes

In the year that I've been playing, I've yet to walk out of a round. As a matter of fact, a few weeks ago I was throwing out from behind this thick bush/tree and knelt down on a broken beer bottle. It wasn't until I stood up and saw a puddle of my own blood on the ground running down my right leg that I realized I had been cut by a broken bottle. I asked my group for a quick timeout while I stopped the bleeding, then I went to my car to bandage myself up. Once I was done, I finished out the remaining 10 holes and still went down on tag number that day. Needless to say, I'm a pretty stubborn person and hate not finishing tasks at hand. However, I did learn my lesson and look carefully on the ground before I put my leg down now.

+1. newbie but terribly stubborn. played from 20f to 100+F, rain, wind, bugs, poison ivy. sure it might happen sometime this summer, though. been crazy weird weather.....

I do this during league rounds, but not while playing solo.

I don't play in any league or tournaments. I play only to relax and enjoy the outdoors and get a little more exercise than sitting in traffic. My home course is halfway between home and work, 6 miles from each. I can get to the course in a about 20 or home in 60. So my afternoon casual round while traffic calms is the perfect happy hour for me! :)

This last January I stopped at a small 9 hole to play a quick 3 disc round on my way home. Temp was about 30 and it was spitting snow. Round was going great till I got to hole 7. I throw my drive and start walking down the fairway all the while looking in the creek on the left. That's when I spot this bright green disc right in the middle of the creek in about 12-18"s of crystal clear water.

I have a thing about leaving beautiful plastic behind, if I can see it or I know where it is, I'm not leaving without it. So I am standing there looking at this disc realizing the only way I'm going to it, is to strip down and go in after it. Now the majority of my brain was saying "it's freezing, it's snowing, don't be stupid, leave the disc". Unfortunately I listened to that other part of my brain that said "Don't be a wuss". So I stripped down to my boxer briefs and quickly made my way down the bank to the waters edge. After my first step in I knew I had made a mistake. I instantly lost my breath. As my other foot entered the water I realized the reason I couldn't breath was because my testicles retracted all the way up to my throat. Each step was more agonizing than the last. The rocky bottom felt like razor blades. I finally made it to the disc which was about 20' out, reached down and pulled it out. It was a prodigy M4 by the way. I then turned back to shore, from where I was standing it might as well been a mile away. I honestly thought at one point I was going to fall over and just float down the creek. I finally made it back to land and hurried to put on my clothes the best I could not being able to feel any of my extremities. I picked up my discs and walked as fast as possible back to my car passing holes 8 & 9. Sat in my car for a good 20 mins huddled up to the heater before I felt like I could drive.

And yes the disc did have a last name and PDGA # on it. Had a hunch but looked it up when I got home & sure enough it was Kyle Websters. I sent him a picture of his disc in the water and told him the water was cold but I had his disc for him. He finally messaged me back about a week later telling me to keep it, he had fun throwing it & he was sure I would to. (Didn't know at the time he had just signed with Westside). Threw it into the middle of a lake with a horrible drive a month later :(

I have DNF'ed three times if I recall correctly. In two of the three I was clearly shooting under par tourney, but could not finish. All three were heat exhaustion in the middle of hot Texas summers. One tourney I DNF'ed two years in a row, and will never play it again. NOTE: -- I love that course and the tourney directors and everything, but playing two rounds in this heat is more that a man of my size can physically take.