• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Warm up and prep

Titan037

AKA dgfanatic7
How do you warm up before a round or tourney? How much do you putt at the practice basket? Do you warm up ur arm with a few drives? Wanna see so i can develop and effective warm up routine

If I get there on time......

First I stretch using baseball stretches. They usually work better with a partner but I often do them by myself. Then I usually putt for ~15mins and then throw my putters and midranges for ~15 mins. After this I will usually rip a few drives but keep it minimal as I am just trying to get my muscles warmed up. I feel if I throw too many holes or try to throw a ton of drives I usually over-do it and end up straining something.

After driving I putt again from close range so I dont miss any. I normally don't practice many long putts as I don't make many and I feel it can cause confidence problems leading into the tourney.

Day Before:

I usually try and practice the shots I may need for the tourney or just try and work out kinks in my drives and putts. I will pack my lunch now so if I'm running late I can just grab and go. I also get my bag together and bring any backups I may need. Extra socks and clothes are also a must in case of bad weather or having to jump in after a disc. I try and lay off the hard stuff and get some rest before the big day.

Hope this helps and dont forget the sunscreen

I do it similar to dikkad. I stretch a bit, putt for a bit, do some midrange shots, do half power or so drives and work up the power level, then I go pack and hone in my putting to find the distance where I can go for it vs playing it safe, then I go back to putting in my comfort zone to help my putting confidence. After all that, I go and play.

If I'm just playing a quick round, I don't warm up at all. If I'm playing a tournament or I'm going out to play a bunch of new courses I'll warm up a little. I at least do some light movement and stretching, and either play catch or putt a little. Sometimes I'll jog a little to get the blood moving.

Glad this thread came to be, been curious on the same topic. So far my routine consists of plenty of deep stretching even before I get out of the house, I don't wanna call it "yoga" warm up but some postures do wonders for a tall guy like myself. Normally have a stack of 4+putters of the same mold and will putt for 15 minutes, starting close and them comfortably reaching my outer circle. Practicing long putts don't have great effects on my game, if I don't nail them I think my putting technique is completely off and play catch up the entire round gaining confidence.

Haven't been able to warm up with midrange so far, Normally the local courses are pretty fast so you don't wanna hog hole 1 and let 10+ rip. Also the entire parks are normally in complete use so finding an open field is difficult as well... But there is a small 9 hole course and a 27 hole so when I do feel like throwing a full 27 round I can easily run the 9 hole quick to warm up, only 1 shot requires a full drive, most everything else could be a putter/midrange shot.

Afterwords stretching my throwing arm helps recovery can't stress it enough, Stretching is good. :thmbup:

Grandmaster here; so i stretch a little arms and legs, putt a few, drink a beer and remind myself it's all for fun.

I throw a few practice putts before I start maybe between 15- 30 putts from different marks , a few light stretches and im good to go. Works for me pretty well . Have fun

After stretching, I'll throw putts for 10-15min, then I'll loosen the arm up by snapping a towel a few times slowly. Then I'll get to a hole or field and throw several putters and mids at 50-75% power and jog to them to collect them. When I get back to my bag I will throw 2-5 putters/mids at full power, and a driver or two. I'll then go to a basket and putt until two minute warning sounds. In that last two minutes, I'll snap a towel to make sure my arm is ready for the round to start.

Takes me longer to warm up on a cool/cold morning (go figure) so if it is cool I will get to the course quite early before a tournament and add playing some holes to the middle of that routine.

Best warm i have seen was a guy who partied hard the night before. Showed up just before tee off, threw up in the bushes, shotgunned a beer and away he went lol

I am a big believer in warming up putting at a range you are making them. Nothing worse than a shaky putting warm up to plant the seeds of doubt

I drive to the course with the heated seats on high. I throw a few forehands and backhands one hole one and take about 5 10-15ft putts. That usually works for my old body.

I have found warm up for me is more mental than physical. Stetching helps, sure, as you're going to be active for the majority of the day. Other than that, I putt a few at the practice basket to make sure everything "feels" right; I try not to putt to much. The last thing I want to do is string together a bunch of canned or missed putts and then player's meeting gets called. If there's a particular hole that I'm psyching myself out on, I might walk over and throw a few drives on it.

I really don't like to warm up too much. If I'm getting there early, it's to get a good parking spot; not to work some stuff out before the tournament. You had your entire life to figure it out; I don't think a half hour of practice before the tournament is going to drastically change your score. But that's just me.

I usually warm up by playing catch with a floppy putter. I find it loosens up the arms and gets the blood moving a bit.

I have found warm up for me is more mental than physical. Stetching helps, sure, as you're going to be active for the majority of the day. Other than that, I putt a few at the practice basket to make sure everything "feels" right; I try not to putt to much. The last thing I want to do is string together a bunch of canned or missed putts and then player's meeting gets called. If there's a particular hole that I'm psyching myself out on, I might walk over and throw a few drives on it.

I really don't like to warm up too much. If I'm getting there early, it's to get a good parking spot; not to work some stuff out before the tournament. You had your entire life to figure it out; I don't think a half hour of practice before the tournament is going to drastically change your score. But that's just me.

This exactly.

The only thing that I try to add to this is I try to socialize a little bit to help prepare me mentally. Talking to other people about their discs and other disc golf endeavors takes my mind off the actual tournament to get me nice and relaxed and ready to play.

The only thing that I try to add to this is I try to socialize a little bit to help prepare me mentally. Talking to other people about their discs and other disc golf endeavors takes my mind off the actual tournament to get me nice and relaxed and ready to play.

That's interesting. I actually don't like talking to people about discs and that kind of stuff. I agree that socializing is good, but I usually don't like to talk about the event. For some reason I start thinking if my discs are right or if I should change anything because other people give me ideas. It's weird but it is what it is.

Pull up right as the players meeting is getting underway, so that my tires screech, walk to my hole, shake hands and throw my first shot

Latest posts