• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Wasp throwers

FriedInTheDesert

Birdie Member
Last year the grip bothered me but recently gave it another chance and I'm liking the Wasp. I've got a beefy 177 z Wasp with a flat top.

I having problems in right to left headwinds throwing RHBH. The Wasp flies great until it goes into a fade and the wind gets under the wing sending it way left. It just won't get down with that wind direction. Is that the nature of the disc? Too much glide?

In a right to left headwind you probably want to throw an understable disc, much like you would throw an overstable disc in a left to right headwind. Otherwise the wind just pushes up under the disc and makes it float away.

Last year the grip bothered me but recently gave it another chance and I'm liking the Wasp. I've got a beefy 177 z Wasp with a flat top.

I having problems in right to left headwinds throwing RHBH. The Wasp flies great until it goes into a fade and the wind gets under the wing sending it way left. It just won't get down with that wind direction. Is that the nature of the disc? Too much glide?
I believe so, you could try your buzzz, knowing the wind will carry it over for the fade.
or
Get something that will fall out harder when done, like your gator.

I see, wrong tool for the job. The Shark3 will get down but it's not quite as overstable as the Wasp. I can also throw LHBH but the shot I'm talking about you have to come in from right to left. So it's the Buzz in light winds and the Gator in heavier winds.

Yea just need to try and work the shot so when it slows down to fade that the flight plate isn't exposed to the wind. May b just beat it I a bit.

R/L headwinds are a pain. the only way to really deal with them successfully is to manipulate your disc behavior. if i have room to throw directly into the headwind and let the fade carry it back far left to my destination, i will. usually i don't have that kind of room so typically i'll throw something a little more middle-of-the-road like my ghost and throw it flat, slightly into the headwind. ideally it goes straight with just a little fade.

either use a buzz or meteor. or flick it instead, that way the bottom will never be exposed to the wind.

the wasp is an amazing disc

Yeah, any time the wind sees the bottom of your disc it can be bad.

Just to chime in on the love of the Wasp, I started with a domey Z Wasp and even though I liked it there was something lacking. I bought a couple of very flat Ti Wasps from a member here and I'm in love. Exactly what I was looking for.

The flat ones are money!

I replaced my Wasps with a Hornet. Same bead and rim, but smaller diameter and seemingly a little more overstable with good carry.

a hornet has a really small bead.. and im pretty sure they are completely different rims..

I replaced my Wasps with a Hornet. Same bead and rim, but smaller diameter and seemingly a little more overstable with good carry.

If he is worried about too much glide, then he doesn't need to move from the Wasp to a Hornet. I switched from a Hornet to a Wasp for this reason. Less glide and more control.

I would be ok carrying a Wasp and a Hornet. I tried to go minimalist but with mids I will carry more. I think that if I'm holding a mid, I need to get down in 2. I felt a Drone last league play. That Drone feel is not for me along with the Comet.

^^i carry hornet, wasp, buzz, meteor. no overlap idk what that person was saying with same bead and rim, but that is bogus

Ya.... different rims.... thats why i switched over to the hornet last year cuz i dont like beads much and i could do the same things with a fresh z buzzz as i could a wasp.... too much overlap between the two and the hornet offers more stability and great glide.... the wasp is a great disc though! Throw a buzz in R/L winds a little flat even and the wind should offer the fade you need. R/L wind generally means i will throw a similar line with something less stable than my normal option.

I carry those too. Screw minimalism!

:D I'm having a hard time finding that balance between minimalism and "I want to throw everything because there are so many great discs." I've been floating between 9-11 molds over that past year.