• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Water Bottles? What do you use?

chucka

Par Member
I've pretty much been using Gatorade bottles that I refill with water, but It's getting to the point that I would like some good water bottles

I've read in some threads about Nalgenes bottles but when I went to the website there are tons of different types/sizes.

So what brand/Model are you using?

We re-use smart water bottles.

We want SIGGs but really don't feel like bending over to the tune of nearly $100 for 4 bottles.

Great question...In the Texas summer i use the Bubba Keg, it will keep ice all day long. For extra water or gaterode/electrolyte drink i use the nalgene bottles, this is what i use in the winter also. I would prefer to use Sig type bottles, they are made of aluminum i think and have a sort of tin taste that you get used to, its kind of like the canteens you had as a kid. Anyway, the reason i would prefer to use them is that the Nalgene bottles get kind of cruddy looking, they get foggy and they just dont look clean even when they are. The reason i dont use the Sig type bottles is because they are all made tall and thin, and my drink pockets on my bag wont hold them as tightly as they do the nalgene bottles. The Sig bottles are also great for drinking beer in those places where beer drinking is frowned upon. ;)

Sig bottles have a coating like is used in cooking pans, no taste (thats what they say).

It also depends on how long you want to play for.

If it's just a round, then something smaller would suffice. But if you're going to play all day you obviously want to look into something bigger, maybe even with an insulator !!

The Sig bottles are also great for drinking beer in those places where beer drinking is frowned upon. ;)

good to know good to know - slightly related i dont recommend keeping something such as Sambuca in a Sigg bottle - the taste remains in the screw top threads forever

This is my bottle:
2590-7024%20L.jpg

It is the Nagene OTG "on the go" it has a easy flip top lid. I use this water bottle all day every day even when I'm not disc golfing. The flip top is better than the bicycle type top where you end up feeling like a hamster trying to suck out the water. The plastic is virtually indestructible , think z or champ ;p, and has no taste to it. It wont keep the taste of other drinks either incase you put juice or something else in it. All Nalgene bottles are 100% BPA free now as well. You can put hot drinks in them, you can freeze them, you can drop them from three stories up down stair cases, (did this in high school, no damage.)

Now the OTG, isn't 100% leak proof (more like 99.99%) because you sacrifice that for being able to open the bottle one handed for a quick drink. However, if you desire a 100% leak proof bottle, N-gen bottles are the way to go. I used to own one of these (I think I misplaced it during my last move) and it was freakin' amazing. You do have to screw off the top, but you can depend on this thing not leaking at all, you can actually use this thing for self defense if you had to.

N-gen:
2190-1005L.jpg

I've owned both and would buy either again. I prefer the OTG just for the sake of being able to open the top quick though. Both these models only come in 24 oz. but Nalgene does carry 32oz in other models in case you desire to carry more beverage. I only wrote so much because I really freaking love my bottle.

Last edited:
I sometimes use the OTG nalgene bottle. I like it because it's like drinking out of a cup, you can pour as much as you want into your mouth quickly. I also use a regular bicycling sports bottle, and camelbak bottles. My wife really likes the camelbak bottles with the straw and flip up bite valve. She's never had it leak in her purse.

I sometimes use the OTG nalgene bottle. I like it because it's like drinking out of a cup, you can pour as much as you want into your mouth quickly. I also use a regular bicycling sports bottle, and camelbak bottles. My wife really likes the camelbak bottles with the straw and flip up bite valve. She's never had it leak in her purse.

Yea, I like the size of the opening for the OTG as well. With the wide mouth I end up having to be careful not to splash myself and with the bike water bottle I end up suckin on the thing like a little baby just to get one gulp.

I carry a couple of the regular 32oz nalgenes. They're indestructible and they fit perfectly in the bottle holders on my competition bag, and it's nice to have a half gallon of water in my bag for warm days. I actually had a bear chew on one of my bottles, and it couldn't do more than barely (ha ha) scratch the surface.

Nalgene makes a little insert that sticks in the mouth of the wide-mouth bottles that makes it easier to drink from, my gf uses one so she doesn't pour water all over herself. I'm usually sweaty enough that it doesn't really matter, so I don't bother.

I use a regular 32 oz screw-top nalgene. Things are tough as nails and if my disc gets stuck in a tree I can whip it at it and it will survive the fall....if it comes down >_>

I use a regular 32 oz screw-top nalgene. Things are tough as nails and if my disc gets stuck in a tree I can whip it at it and it will survive the fall....if it comes down >_>

That's a big if, I've ended up climbing 30 ft. up a tree to retrieve my disc and my bottle...:rolleyes:

I use the Nalgene Everyday 32 oz bottle. It's the wide mouth bottle with the screw off top. The top is attached to the bottle, and the little loop made by the attachment is a great carrying handle. I do have dribble issues with the wide mouth opening, especially if I try to drink while walking.

I've looked into the SIGG Aluminum bottles, they seem to keep water colder longer than the Nalgene. But you're not supposed to put them in the dishwasher. So for me, the bigger size and ease of care makes the Nalgene a clear winner.

camelbacks are pretty solid water bottles. If I use my nalgene it just goes all over the place. Thinking about getting an insulated water bottle because with the heat in AZ during the summer ice water turns to jacuzzi water within the hour:mad:

ive got one of those protein shake bottles from an Xsport fitness near me, i put just enough ice to melt by the end of the round and the rest with water. Ive never ran out/wanted more while on the course. although at the tournament last week i did refill it for the second round. basically one fill lasts me the round

Latest posts