• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Water Hazards: Yay or Nay?

Water Hazards: Yay or Nay

• Yay

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • Nay

Votes: 33 21.7%
  • Which one means yes?

Votes: 6 3.9%

• Total voters
I hate water hazards because I know I will lose one or more discs for sure. Even if I am able to retrieve it I end up with soaked & muddy shoes.

The only thing I have against water hazards is, I think it does not fair well with new comers. I once saw a guy with two discs with his wife playing. While watching him throw, you could tell he was not that good, or a new player. He came to hole #4 at Bear Branch with is an easy shot over the water if you use the beginer tee. He used the regular tee, and placed his disc right in the middle of the pond. He looked like he was about to cry, hung his head down , and he and his wife walked to the parking lot and left. I really felt sorry of the guy. Here is a pic of the hole I am talking about:

BearBranch1-1.jpg

When I take a new player to this course, we usually skip this hole, depending on how far they can throw.

Here is the view from the beginner tee, its just off the water line. Its only marked with a little number in the ground, but it is a regular tee.You can see the marker. Its that gray disc in the bottom of the picture
BearBranch3-1.jpg

I love water hazards. I'm not very competitive and bad shots are just "oh well" to me. Water hazards however provide a true threat - I actually have something to lose! It ramps up my intensity and adds some excitement.

I love the water holes. Creates new shots and brings a new approach.

How much do you love that disc? I just use a water disc and if it splashes, I move along.

i have a friend that griplocked 2 shots in a row and landed discs 50 feet into the middle of a lake. 30 bucks down and the round hadnt even really started!

I love a good water hole, a great test for your abilities and confidence. I also appreciate when there are alternate tees, alternate holes, or alternate routes for those that don't want to risk losing a disc.

I hate to lose discs but water is a huge part of the game and some of the best holes I can think of involve water. Risk/reward is always to be desired. The only thing I don't like is a forced carry that is too long with no bailout area or alternate tee for beginners or less skilled players.

i have a friend that griplocked 2 shots in a row and landed discs 50 feet into the middle of a lake. 30 bucks down and the round hadnt even really started!

That sucks!!!! I can't imagine. I hyzer real bad, and they just moved the Tee on Hole one at my favorite park (Blue at bryan) where on the first throw from the new tee I Hyzered right into the water! Never did that before they moved the tee and I've played there like 70 times or something. I was pissed! But its all part of the game.

Of course, floating discs (e.g. Dragon, Hydra, etc.) aren't guaranteed to survive water hazards; raging currents and giant bodies of water don't mean much if a disc floats or not. Nevertheless, they are helpful and make water hazards more welcoming and enjoyable for me. I know I've practiced throwing my Dragon for instances in which I run into water hazards. With that being said, I enjoy water hazards because they help me practice my game -- not to mention that there are few better things than watching that disc clear the water!

I've only ever lost one disc to water before -- mostly because I am a weenie and shoot from the closest tee and don't have too many courses with water hazards in my area. I wish more courses had them though!

I guess it depends on if I have a junky disc to throw or not, but a lot of times, a water hazard makes me more inventive and find a shot that I can use in other situations. Its never my best disc I am going to use but a disc that I know is going hard left or hard right for me and that I dont care much about.

Problem with floating discs is if it is a nast pond you dont want to jump into; all they do is let you SEE the disc you cant reach.

Problem is, I have taken some new people out with me 3 or 4 times this year and have given them my discs I dont care much for to use and I have lost many of my junk discs. Im down to my favorite S driver, 2 drivers that go left for me, actually 3 if you count my tomahawk disc, which is another good way to get across water safely at times; my driving stingray and my more beat up mid-range stingray, then my favorite straight approach disc.

Time to restock!

I am thankful to have courses with water hazards near me because many people leave their discs in the water because they're unwilling to fetch them. I'm all for returning discs with names and numbers, but I've recently found a brand new champ beast that's become one of my favorite discs; it was completely unmarked. In a 2-day span in a nearby course, 2 of my friends and I went swimming in this disgusting, algae-covered pond at a local course and pulled out 19 discs.

Sounds like Jordan Creek mine pond hole #7 to me......I was just there and saw the most prehistoric huge snapping turtle ever.....I would never dare go into that murky beast filled abyss again!

I like water holes that are under 275 or have a bank on which to land for an approach shot. Unfortunately most of the water holes that I have played average 300-350. Long arms prob like all water holes, those bastards.lol

I hate them, at my home course, theres a few holes that if yoru disc goes in there, its not worth it 2 get it out, theres prolly 5 inches of goose crap covering the whole area, along with bricks, and cans. when you step in you sink half way up ur shins in crap. (thank god for chest waders) but i uasually skip those holes.

Just added a pond to our course....have designed 2 holes with the pond in play, trying to work in 1 or 2 more. Which pretty well answers the question for me.

But....it always depends on what level players a course is designed for, and there should always be a bailout area away from the water or a shorter tee. On courses designed more for beginners or casual players, no need to have people losing their discs and deciding disc golf isn't for them.

Once nice thing about lakes or ponds---as opposed to swamps, marshes, & briar patches---is that in the latter, you may throw in the think you've probably lost your disc, but you'll get yourself torn up & muddy trying to find it. At least on a lake, as soon as you release it badly you know it's gone.

Sounds like Jordan Creek mine pond hole #7 to me......I was just there and saw the most prehistoric huge snapping turtle ever.....I would never dare go into that murky beast filled abyss again!

That's it. It was a few weeks ago when we dove in, and I've since heard quite a few stories about how stupid that actually was. I don't think I'll be going in again, but when I play through I still cruise the edge because I've pulled 3 discs from the water about a foot from the shore.

edit: I was looking for my SL that rolled down from the bank, but while I was in, I figured I may as well go swimming.

6455_122885776977_597151977_2940085_6205623_n.jpg

Last edited:
Water only adds an aesthetic quality to the course, and nothing for play. You could do the same with a designated out of bounds area. Almost...

Ok so it does affect my disc choice. I don't like losing discs. And there are probably seasonal differences...

Water hazards make the game intense. They make you think hard about certain shots. They make you decide whether you want to take a risk or just layup and play it safe. Yea it is sad when you chuck a disc into the water and lose it. I have lost probably 3 or 4 to the water. However, if there wasn't water I don't think the game would be even close to as fun and competitive as it is now.

Latest posts