• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wearing Shoes during sanctioned tournaments.

Mr. Anderson

Eagle Member
Possibly a simple question....

I know I have read somewhere that proper footwear must be worn during sanctioned tournaments. (no bare feet, flip flops, slippers....)

If there is casual water on the course, and your throw lands in said casual water, can you take off your shoes if you chose to play from your lie?

Lets hear what you think?

(still trying to find the blurb about footwear)
Found it http://www.pdga.com/rules/competition-manual/section-3-player-code-conduct/34-dress-code

Last edited:
I'm not sure on the actual ruling for this but I feel like I remember watching a video where John e McCray did this and I believe it was during the USDGC. If it happens there then its definitely ok during any tournament.

I've heard other stories like yours, but it was the opposite. Nate Doss at worlds telling another player you have to keep your shoes on if you are playing from a lie.

Personally I think it should be allowed, why not?

Ha! Excellent question Mr. Anderson. If one follows the PDGA rules as they are written, it is a courtesy violation to remove one's shoes and throw. Thanks for the thought-provoking question.

So how many people were given the violation at last year's Memorial when the floods came? I know multiple people that took off their shoes to play out of that mess. I also know there was at least one card where the guys did not because of the rule. Thanks for letting us know why the rule is there Chuck. I understand the point, but in that situation I think they are inviting some other insurance issues as well.

In the case of Memorial, good chance some of that overflow water on a few holes was the "treated" waste water from the fountain pond. Not sure what should have been done due to this potential added hazard. Watching it live online, it occurred to me that stopping the event and recalculating the final round for everyone in Open only from the holes completed by the top card at that time might have been appropriate.