• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight vs. Stability

DesertFox

Birdie Member
Tried to search, didn't find anything.

For as long as I've been playing, I've always tried to get heavier discs for my overstable discs and lighter for my understables. I mostly throw in the 168-175 range for putters and drivers, and heavier for mids. My thinking is that the extra grams slow down the pull enough to help avoid turning the discs I don't want to turn, and speed up the pull on the ones I DO want to turn.

Example: For my Fairways I have the standard OS, Neutral, and US slots "covered".

175g Z Predator (OS)
174g Proton Volt (Neutral)
168g X Xpress (US)

To exaggerate, let's say I can only have one 165g, one 170g and one 175g.

Would it be better to have...

175g Z Predator
170g Proton Volt
165g X Xpress​
or​
165g Z Predator
170g Proton Volt
175g X Xpress​

My question simply, is this the CORRECT thing to do?

Neither is right or wrong... but you are definitely over-thinking it a bit'

I generally like to keep all the weights the same and on the heavy side but don't even pay attention. Many discs which I have bagged though I never really knew or cared what the weight was aside from 150 class stuff.

You are talking about a difference of 10 paperclips really from 175 to 165 grams. Lighter discs might be a little easier to get some distance out of and stay in the air a little longer. If you want to throw max distance shots with a predator well then light one makes sense.. if you want one for utility and huge winds well heavier the better but the stability and technique is MUCH more important.

Don't worry about the paperclips :p Stability of the disc should be most important and your overall power/skill plays more into weight than flight differences. Plastic (and how it wears down over time)is going to make a bigger impact than weight IMO.

Last edited:
Discs have a maximum weight based upon the diameter of the disc. Most modern drivers and putters will reach max legal weight in the 174-176g range while many old-school drivers and midrange discs will reach max legal weight closer to 178-180g or even higher. There is no minimum weight and you will often find discs produced in weights in the 140-150g range. These discs are known as "150 Class" discs.

As a general rule, heavier drivers are more accurate as they rip out of the hand more consistently, be less affected by wind, and will fly more overstable. Lighter drivers will fly farther and have more glide, with less low speed overstability. Midrange and approach discs will actually fly farther in heavier weights assuming that you have the power to throw them.

However, the key to successfully utilizing disc flight characteristics is to find the weight range that works best for your level of power (based on technique) and strength (based on your physical characteristics). If a disc is too heavy for your level of power and strength, you will not be able to throw it as well or as far as a lighter disc. If a disc is too light, it may turn over too easily as you build power. Ideally, you will find a weight range that gives you the best mix of distance and control.

It will probably take some experimenting to find the weights that are best for you. If you are an active adult male age 18-30, I generally recommend starting with a driver in the 167-169g range and working from there. For women and younger players I would suggest starting with a driver that is 166g or lighter. If you feel the disc is too light, try heavier with your next purchase. If you feel the disc is flying too overstable and with too little glide, try lighter. For midrange and approach discs, the weight is less important for success among newer players. I recommend whatever feels comfortable and adjusting weights in the future based upon your experiences. Overall, it is probably not a good idea to start out with maximum weight drivers but you may gravitate towards them in the future as you add more distance and are placing a greater premium on predictability and accuracy.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/choosingadisc.shtml#weight

That was a reply! Nice @Aim for the Chains!
I have toyed with this idea for the past month. I have found that lighter weight discs (less than 172g) in my drivers serves me much better than sticking to the "throw heavy" or "throw max weight" adage. The disc flies more as it is intended to, and I do get a little more distance. So, in my experience, yes, if it is working for you, it is the right thing to do.

PLH over weight for stability. as long as there 165-175 thats fine for me for drivers

PLH over weight for stability. as long as there 165-175 thats fine for me for drivers

This is absolutely correct, but the OP was asking about the relationship of weight to stability.

In general, all other things being equal a heavier disc will be more stable and a lighter disc less stable.

This is absolutely correct, but the OP was asking about the relationship of weight to stability.

In general, all other things being equal a heavier disc will be more stable and a lighter disc less stable.

you are correct